Help needed with Twitter log in options

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

My Twitter log in has broken and I was advised to check my keys. I reset the keys and then re-added them but ended up with this error message.

Could contain: Text, Electronics

After looking further at Twitter I noticed the call back URL didn't have the correct path as mentioned in my IPS control panel. I copy/pasted the correct callback URL in but the save button was greyed out. Above where I added the URL there is another section 'Type of App' which is a required field.

There is nothing in your help file regarding this so I assume this is something new and perhaps your help file requires updated. In the meantime can you advice me what the correct settings should be please?

Could contain: Page, Text, Document, Menu

Your "Callback URI / Redirect URL" should yourdomain.com/oauth/callback/ so for you would be  http://www.arbtalk.co.uk/oauth/callback/ . Additionally, it looks like you're running HTTP but many integrations now for login require HTTPS.

Could you please also confirm that your Twitter App is created for Web? Hard to confirm from what you have provided.

That is the URL I am attempting to enter, but like I said, the save button is greyed out so I cant proceed. Above that is a required field. I have just selected webapp and it allows me to save, but threw out a client key and client secret to use. Should these be used within IPS rather than the consumer keys?

4 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

That is the URL I am attempting to enter, but like I said, the save button is greyed out so I cant proceed. Above that is a required field. I have just selected webapp and it allows me to save, but threw out a client key and client secret to use. Should these be used within IPS rather than the consumer keys?

There should be 2 sets of "keys". You will want to use the "Consumer" set of keys.

Just now, teraßyte said:

@Jim M Twitter's site has changed a lot since the guide was posted and the way of setting up the application is completely different now:

Priority is assisting the OP and understanding their issue. We will then go back and rewrite the doc 🙂 

Just now, Steve Bullman said:

OK I have done this I believe. Still not working.

What now do you have set for settings? Please share a new screenshot (do not share the keys). Feel free to message me if you do not want this posted publicly.

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

What now do you have set for settings? Please share a new screenshot (do not share the keys). Feel free to message me if you do not want this posted publicly.

Settings on twitter or IPS?

Just now, Marc Stridgen said:

Sorry for the confusion here. We dont actually support version 2.0 endpoints as of yet. You would need to use version 1 endpoints and request the permissions at present. We do have this on our list of things to do.

ok something else is going on then as this has been working for the past 5 years. Not sure why it is no longer working

• Solution
16 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

ok something else is going on then as this has been working for the past 5 years. Not sure why it is no longer working

Conferring with my colleague, based on your original screenshot, you upgraded to the version 2 Twitter login API at some point. I'm afraid, our current login code will not work with that. It is on our to-do list to upgrade our login code to be functional with the new Twitter version.

If you still have your Twitter version 1 API keys, it will work. However, if you did perform an upgrade, it will no longer work due to being on version 2. I am sorry for any confusion.

• 2 months later...
On 8/30/2022 at 2:51 PM, Jim M said:

Conferring with my colleague, based on your original screenshot, you upgraded to the version 2 Twitter login API at some point. I'm afraid, our current login code will not work with that. It is on our to-do list to upgrade our login code to be functional with the new Twitter version.

Has this been fixed in the meantime? Thanks.