Delete Mass Pending Invoices

My issue is a little more sinister. The site was being used for 'card testing' by fraudsters. They were firing thousands of £1 payments from different credit card numbers through the Stripe integration (about 10 per second) using the Donation Goals system.

This killed the site completely and I had to mitigate via the host's CP, blocking the offending IPs being used by the bots.

They were doing this in order to discover which of the cards weren't blocked. Of the 48,000 odd transactions, only 31 were accepted but I still have 48,000 blocked transactions in my log.

I have been advised by Stripe to refund the 31 good transactions to prevent any disputes, but that means I'm still out-of-pocket for the fees. Thank goodness most of them didn't get through.

IMHO we desperately need something adding in as friction to prevent this. Either captcha or the means to exclude Guests from accessing the Donation Goals block and subsequent form fields.

Even the ability to exclude Cards as a payment option for Donation Goals and any other public facing products/services would be a step forward.

Edited by JohnDar

On 8/24/2022 at 11:58 PM, Phillyman said:

Should be donate or buy, what if you have a cheap $5 product, and they just hammer that all day long

You could probably prevent this for purchases using Payments > Settings > Anti Fraud Rules.

Maybe set the value for the lower priced items and then a rule that rejects after one blocked payment. Another option would be to block payments from Guests altogether.

It seems to me that the biggest problem is that donations cannot be set only for logged in users and do not have any CAPTCHA security.

Through site.com/clients/donations/ you can create thousands of pending invoices as guest.

Edit:

17 minutes ago, Daniel F said:

hence our change to allow it only for members 

very good decision 👍

Edited by SeNioR-

On 8/24/2022 at 5:52 PM, JohnDar said:

Good news.

This issue is being addressed in the next update (4.7.2). It will no longer be possible for non-members to Donate.

That's bad actually - why would you want to force donors to register. Then deal with forum account deletion request... 

Just don't save any pending invoice/transaction for guest. If transaction is not completed, it's not completed. 

Edited by AlexJ

23 minutes ago, AlexJ said:

That's bad actually - why would you want to force donors to register. Then deal with forum account deletion request... 

Just don't save any pending invoice/transaction for guest. If transaction is not completed, it's not completed. 

I am just going to have another button for Paypal for guest donations.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 10:13 PM, Daniel F said:

Donations work different to purchases in IPS, which was the reason why it was so easy to abuse the system as guest, hence our change to allow it only for members 

Could contain: Text

I saw a note in release notes. Can you please re-evaluate this fix? I don't want to FORCE users, just to donate on our site. 

I also host my site in Europe but I am from US and not fully aware of EU regulations .. but what opentype is saying is true, I will have another issue to deal with. Please review your changes. - Thanks

On 8/26/2022 at 2:20 PM, opentype said:

It’s a quick “fix”, but a proper guest checkout should come anyway to comply with EU regulations. 

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/467795-commerce-app-requirement-for-guest-checkout/