PHP upgrade - v7.4.3 to v8.0.0 - server 500 error

Go to solution Solved by commandosqueak1,

Hi All,

So I help run a small car forum based in the UK and we use the invision software. we are on the latest release and noticed it say we needed to update php from version 7.4.30 to version 8.0.0. So I asked the company who look after the server to install php version 8 for us. I then restarted the services in the WHM panel and then checked the forum admin console and it still said not updated. so the server company then told me I would need to change the php version for the site In cpanel under multi php manager. I did this and only had one option listed to change (see below). updated that to version 8 and now the forum doesnt work. I am getting a 500 error. the home directory is still showing as 7.4.3 but the domain says version 8. 

The server co seems to think they cant do anything else and i need to speak to invision... hence why im here. Im pretty sure they are just fobbing me off but either way I am hoping you lovely people may be able to help.

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Document

As you can see in the image above the domain is at version 8 but the system / home directory is set to 7.4 and needs an admin to update it. well I see nowhere in the cpanel (other than here) or in the WHM server panel to do this. Even reverting it back to 7.4.3 doesn't work. 

Am i being stupid here?

Thanks

Squeak

Edited by commandosqueak1

We have server hosting in the states. they are not very good to be honest. I have access to the cPanel and then the WHM panel for the server. That's it. I have inherited a complete mess off the old webmaster who went MIA, we expect he passed from covid but never been able to find out. the WHM panel is limited to what it can do. the server hosting company have the root access and do the updates etc in the back end. I cant even reboot the server if i wanted to. once the site is up and running we will be moving the server cause im sick of their dire support. 

ok so i have edited the constants file and removed the contents and just put the recovery mode in, made sure it had open permissions (777) and still cannot get to the ACP. Do i need to reboot or restart something or is it just a case of put the file there. 

Could contain: Text, Page, File

Could contain: Page, Text

1 minute ago, commandosqueak1 said:

i have downloaded it and stuck it in the same place as the constants.php file. How do i run it? I can view it but it just shows the code inside. Sorry pretty new to all this.

You will want to view the file in your browser. I.E. if you put it in your domain's root, something like https://example.com/ips4.php

You would likely need to check with your hosting provider to see what is the error here then. Sounds like there is an underlying PHP or server error here with your PHP version if the simple requirements checker is not running.

1 hour ago, commandosqueak1 said:

thanks what i been thinking. I might get them to try uninstalling php 8 and see if that helps. thanks guys. i will report back when i spoke to them.

💖

I don't think that will help as I don't think they have installed all the modules you need to run the software 

Judging by their lack of ability to help you I would look at another host ASAP 

oh i am definitely moving host after. I will prob need help with that actually...

So they said and i quote " Files need to be chmod 644, directories need to be chmod 755" so they basicall run two commands and "fixed it" PHP seems to be working now although no permissions were changed i dunno how changing the version in the control panel would cause this?

So if I run ips4.php then i get img 1. however when i asked them to install these modules they said they are already installed and referred me to info.php If you visit that page and search mbstring you will see --enable-mbstring=shared which confirms the modules are there.

So they basically sent me back here. As far as they are concerned everything is working fine their end (whether it is or isnt). 

If I now go to the site then I get a different error

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function IPS\mb_internal_encoding() in /home/greg/public_html/forum/init.php:558 Stack trace: #0 /home/greg/public_html/forum/init.php(1597): IPS\IPS::init() #1 /home/greg/public_html/forum/admin/index.php(12): require_once('/home/greg/publ...') #2 {main} thrown in /home/greg/public_html/forum/init.php on line 558

It suggests to me there is a config error in init.php? I dont know any php really. i covered the basics in college a long time ago but not since. If I try the constrants.php like was suggested earlier i just get a plain white page with nothing on it.

1 minute ago, commandosqueak1 said:

Call to undefined function IPS\mb_internal_encoding() in

This would confirm what the ips4.php is stating and you're missing mbstring. Unfortunately, something is off with their configuration if these files are on in the same directory. They would need to resolve this for you, I'm afraid.

would restoring from a backup work? I have found backups of the Databases and the home directory.

heres the image i forgot to post. duhhhh

8 minutes ago, Jim M said:

This would confirm what the ips4.php is stating and you're missing mbstring. Unfortunately, something is off with their configuration if these files are on in the same directory. They would need to resolve this for you, I'm afraid.

so you are saying we are missing mbstring? yet they said its there

if you visit that page and search mbstring you will see --enable-mbstring=shared

so im confused

Could contain: Word, Text, Document, Page, Letter, Face

15 minutes ago, commandosqueak1 said:

would restoring from a backup work? I have found backups of the Databases and the home directory.

heres the image i forgot to post. duhhhh

so you are saying we are missing mbstring? yet they said its there

so im confused

Could contain: Word, Text, Document, Page, Letter, Face

You would need to ensure all those highlighted in red are installed and/or fixed. You need them all to run the software. This is not related to your database but your PHP configuration on your server.

23 minutes ago, Jim M said:

You would need to ensure all those highlighted in red are installed and/or fixed. You need them all to run the software. This is not related to your database but your PHP configuration on your server.

Thanks for your help Jim and stu, its very much apricated. This is all new to me and i inherited a mess as it was. I have gone back to them and asked them to take another look. To be honest though I'm betting they turn round and say not our problem. 

Im pulling backups now of everything how it is currently and if they havent responded by then i will restore a backup and see if that fixes it. If not I will just restore the backup im taking now to put it back in its current state and wait for them to respond.

The missing items shown in that screenshot are almost all default PHP Extensions.

While your host may be technically correct that PHP is "active and working", that does not mean it is working at a level needed to run our software.

If they continue to insist that the problem is not with them, I would look for a new host.

All of those items must be in place, and only your Host can do that.

Hi Mark, I fully agree!

I replied with the following 

PHP might be working to some degree but its not FULLY otherwise the site would be up. Nothing has changed with the site just the server which is your remit so why 65 an hour this should already be covered with our fees.

All i have asked is to install a module thats missing. and the info YOU provided shows that too.

So they replied with

Hello
You had a fully functional site until you wanted it upgraded to PHP v8. phpinfo which we supplied shows modules working and php working. Your software shows it not working.

If you wish for us to troubleshoot your software, there is a billable fee.

Your alternative is we can restore the backup you provide and switch you back to php 7.x (PHP 7.x is a easy switch via cPanel but we'll be glad to do it for you)

I am in the process of ripping them a new one and taking back root access. I will be moving the server as soon as the site is back up.