Update help

Go to solution Solved by Ked,

Previously we had priority help with our invision account.  Since we are a group of numerically challenged (older) people, we were able to get by with this help.  This for some reason was removed some months ago and I now have no idea how to update the red banner across our site.  Any help or direction would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Marc, nice to hear from you. I might just have to give it a try and see what happens.  I know that the php thing is old - our version.  Will that update or do I need to do that first?

36 minutes ago, Ked said:

I saw a spot that said something about 7.4.  is it simply a matter of pressing on this and it will update to 7.4?

No, its a server level thing, by clicking on Upgrade button it wont upgrade PHP to 7.4, You first need to Update PHP version to 7.4 (ask your hosting company or the person managing the hosting), and then click on update/upgrade button.

21 minutes ago, Ked said:

Thanks, it has taken me some time but I finally realised that.  Once they update me is it then a matter of just clicking on update and going?

Yup :).

Make sure that your third-party apps if any are also compatible or have a new version, but yeah, once you confirm everything, then it's as simple as hitting that update button.

Once it's done, you may need to login to the ACP, click on Support, and then find the link that says "Clear System Caches".   You would do this if you finish the upgrade and you noticed some stuff looked out of place or broken.  (That fixes many of the most common issues you might run into post upgrade.)

But the upgrade itself for the most part is just clicking next a bunch of times and waiting.  (And entering your credentials.)

Where do I start the update.  The red banner across the top I think I hid.  I have gotten in and out the site so it would pop up but it hasn't.  went into admin CP and thought I could press something there?  can see things across the top - steps but I don't even know what some of them mean.  How do I start this thing.