Uncaught IPS\Db\Exception

Dazz

Hello Support,

I seem to be experiencing an issue with my database. Is there anyone that's able to help figure this out? I'm not quite sure how to fix this.

Fatal error: Uncaught IPS\Db\Exception: Connection refused in /home/vpuniverse/vpuniverse.com/system/Db/Db.php:266 Stack trace: #0 /home/vpuniverse/vpuniverse.com/system/Db/Db.php(353): IPS\_Db->_establishConnection(false) #1 /home/vpuniverse/vpuniverse.com/system/Db/Db.php(484): IPS\_Db->checkConnection(false) #2 /home/vpuniverse/vpuniverse.com/system/Db/Db.php(969): IPS\_Db->preparedQuery('REPLACE INTO `c...', Array) #3 /home/vpuniverse/vpuniverse.com/system/Session/Admin.php(112): IPS\_Db->replace('core_sys_cp_ses...', Array) #4 [internal function]: IPS\Session\_Admin->write('2bc20fec4294cb0...', '') #5 [internal function]: session_write_close() #6 {main} thrown in /home/vpuniverse/vpuniverse.com/system/Db/Db.php on line 266

You would need to contact your hosting company in resolving the issue there. Connection to your database is being refused by the database server, using the details in your conf_global.php file. So unless you have modified that file, there is an issue on your server.

8 minutes ago, Dazz said:

@Marc Stridgen

My host is saying that the database needs to be optimized... are there instructions anywhere regarding database optimizations for IPS?  Or is there a service that can help out?

Do you have phpmyadmin. It has a build in option to optimize all tables of a database.

If you have SSH/Telnet access, you can use the  mysqlcheck command to do that. 

mysqlcheck -o <db_name>

Where db_name stands for the actual name of the database that you have used to install your Ipb forum.

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/mysqlcheck.html

Optimizing the database is something your Host would need to do if you are not familiar with the process.

But that error doesn't directly mean the DB needs to be optimized.

It suggests there's a restriction on the database size, one imposed by your host who is not telling you the entire story.

Does your host have a limit on the DB size? If they do, and you have exceeded it, then that error might be the result.

18 hours ago, Mark H said:

Optimizing the database is something your Host would need to do if you are not familiar with the process.

But that error doesn't directly mean the DB needs to be optimized.

It suggests there's a restriction on the database size, one imposed by your host who is not telling you the entire story.

Does your host have a limit on the DB size? If they do, and you have exceeded it, then that error might be the result.

I got the following response from the host. They did verify that there is no limit on database size. I know at any given moment that the site has about 75-120 members and 95-200 guests online. 

"After careful verifications I was able to determine that the website is
capping the MYSQL connections and is bringing out this error:

ERROR 1040 (HY000): Too many connections

We had to restart the MYSQL service to bring it back. It is important
that you check on your site to confirm what might be causing the multiple
connections that are capping the MySQL VPS or this issue will probably
keep happening."

What do I need to check as far as IPS goes? I'm not familiar with any of this. Is there any kind of paid support with IPS that would be able to help with this? 

I have 2 Dreamhost VPS servers one for the main site hosting and another specifically for the database. I have downloads/upload files hosted via S3. Is this a physical limitation of my servers? Do I need to upgrade my servers? 

The max connections setting is managed on the server itself.

https://www.linode.com/community/questions/18791/how-can-i-increase-the-max_connections-in-mysql

Just be aware that increasing the limit means it can consume more resources. That means your VPS might eventually need to be upgraded. Many hosts set the default limits lower on system services in an attempt to prevent this. 

7 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

We would not limit the connections to your database. Its your hosting company that is limiting connections there, and not the software

Thanks for that clarification.  Would there be something within the IPS system that could be keeping database connections open for somereason? Some scripts or something? I'm not familiar with any of this or even how to troubleshoot it. Right now I'm just going back and forth between Dreamhost and IPS.

Would IPS have a service for helping determine the cause/fix this issue?

We would not be able to assist with connection issues on your database unfortunately. The reality is, you have more connections from your site than your hosting will allow. Database connections will be kept open only for as long as they are needed by the system