500 Errors after updating plugins (hooks.php)

I'm having an issue currently whenever hooks.php gets generated it errors out the website with a 500 error. 

The problem will usually show:

[12-Mar-2022 07:17:10 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Cannot declare class IPS\<plugin name>, because the name is already in use in /public_html/init.php(913) : eval()'d code on line 12

replacing <plugin name> with every application/plugin if I rename the folder for each plugin

I'm unable to find which plugin/application is causing this issue and not sure how to proceed on fixing this.

Edited by Unleashed2k

13 hours ago, Jim M said:

Were you able to resolve the issue? When viewing your community, I am not seeing any 500 errors.

Sorry for the confusion -

This is because hook.php is deleted in the plugins folder. If I was to enable/disable anything that would re-generate the file it would 500 again

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Unleashed2k said:

Yeah I have, now I'm getting an issue where the whole site has a white page and nothing in the error logs. I'm baffled. I just restored from a backup and it was fine, then it went back to the white page. 

There have been a few instances today whereby there has been an update ti WHM and its broken PHP 8. In particular the zlib library. Please check that first of all, as its very likely if you are on a cpanel server, that is causing the problem

2 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

There have been a few instances today whereby there has been an update ti WHM and its broken PHP 8. In particular the zlib library. Please check that first of all, as its very likely if you are on a cpanel server, that is causing the problem

This is exactly it. Any known fix? 

6 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

For anyone who sees this post and doesn't see that option you can go into MultiPHP INI Editor and disable it here:

image.thumb.png.e052a3b3991ab33eab286d2642f856fd.png

Does anyone know if a long term solution is coming? (fix from cpanel, etc)

Edited by Unleashed2k

Just now, Unleashed2k said:

Not trying to be rude but that is a partial solution, is this something that cPanel needs to fix in an update?

Zlib support is not enabled by DEFAULT in PHP.  It sounds like starting in PHP 8, cPanel is turning it on with their default builds.  So if it's problematic for your community, the solution is to turn it back off.  

Now...  should cPanel just not include it at all again?  That's not my place to say.  There are lots of other software packages out there that might support it.  But in terms of PHP and PHP modules....  if a module is causing a problem for you in general the solution is to turn it off.  🙂  

15 hours ago, Unleashed2k said:

Does anyone know if a long term solution is coming? (fix from cpanel, etc)

To be fair, until it killed people last night we didnt even know it was an issue. We are looking to see if its something we can determine here. Havent seen any reports on cpanels end, but we can let you know what we find.