Improve archive.org snapshots

bradl
Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

I don't use a third-party or custom  theme but spawn a child off the default theme and use custom.css. When I did use a third-party theme in 2020 and before it was snapshotting nicely.

I feel like I must have something misconfigured or perhaps something in my custom.css that is killing archive.org's crawl of our club's site. Any tips for troubleshooting appreciated. 

News___Articles_-_CRCTC.thumb.png.86a05c8553a2b38b59d567619b4accc9.png

• Solution

With the below, keep in mind, this is a third party website so official support would be limited.

As there is no styling, this would likely just mean that for whatever reason archive.org couldn’t grab your CSS file(s). Why, I couldn’t say, only archive.org or your hosting provider can. Would check on their next crawl if this would remain but it is not something in our software blocking or preventing this as you can see our website shows up there. Often archive.org just gets an incomplete copy of your site and the next one it’s fine.

IPS is our hosting provider 🙂 but I accept that IPS can't control what archive.org is doing. You are right that there are some captures that seem to grab no styling, and some interspersed that seem to get part of it. Mainly thought I should ask in case there were any known generic blocking factors. It went from almost always being styled with a third party theme to almost never being styled lately since I attempted to simplify my life 😞 

Edited by bradl