Urgent support needed please – PM system has stopped working

Go to solution Solved by BankFodder,

We need some urgent support. I've been onto the Invision site and it says that our email support has expired. I didn't know this and I'm not sure what to do about it.

Our problem is that our private message system has stopped working. I have cleared the cache , disabled the applications and disabled the plug-ins et cetera.

When I have disabled those it starts working.

I then re-enable the theme, the applications and simply leave the plug-ins disabled. The private message system starts working.

As soon as I re-enable any single plug-in – it doesn't matter which one – the private message system stops. When I disable that single plug-in, the private messaging system continues not to work and it requires a complete new clearing of cash, disabling of applications and re-enabling – to get the private messaging system working – but without any plug-ins

So it seems to me that this is a bigger problem than simply a clash with a single plug-in. Something has gone badly wrong and it certainly well beyond my ability to understand what has gone wrong – let alone to fix it.

Can you help please.

As far as I can make out everything else seems to be working.

I'm sure that I probably need to start the email support again – but I don't know how to do this and there doesn't seem to be any instructions for this on the Invision support area.

Edited by BankFodder

This will indeed likely be a single plugin causing issues, its just that cache is in play too. So you would need to disable all, clear cache and ensure its working, then enable one at a time, clearing cache each time if you have an issue. The reality is there, with the amount of plugins you are running, you are going to run into issues at some points unfortunately. Just for an example, every time someone visits a topic at present, there is an error thrown, and there are 32 hook items being loaded at that point. Any one of those could be causing your issues.

With the support. Support has changed on the platform, and this is indeed where you would post up for support. We still have access to your system, and this is now fully staffed. We can move items into email support if there is an issue which requires more secure information, or requires the item to be escalated to higher tiers of support

Thanks for this reply.

I've tried re-enabling the plug-ins one by one but as I've pointed out, as soon as I enable a single one – doesn't matter which one – the whole PM system falls over.

Then to get the PM system working again, I have to disable everything – theme, applications, et cetera. Then re-enable them all except for the plug-ins and the PM starts working.
Once again, as soon as I activate a single plug-in, the entire PM system stops working.

It was all working fine until a couple of days ago – and I have no idea what has happened that it has suddenly stopped

Your system log is full of 3rd party related errors.

e.g. when viewing a topic, one of the hooks results in an exception for guests resulting in search engines and guests getting a "Sorry something went wrong" error instead of the topic.

BTW Is it working now for you? I've just tested it and it works fine for me. Have you tested it with another account?

If it's still broken, I would suggest to disable all the PM related 3rd party applications and plugins, rebuild the cache and see if it works. If not, take a look t the full error which is returned, it should include a list of all 3rd party apps and plugins which are doing something on this page.

• Solution

The account you have on file is www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk

We don't have any other account with you.

However, I followed the advice above and disabled all PM -related applications and plug-ins and suddenly it looks as if I have discovered the problem. It's an application called "restricted messenger".
What is strange is that this is an application and clearly there is some clash with one of the plug-ins because when the plug-ins were disabled and the  cache was newly cleared, it worked.
As soon as any single plug-in was reactivated, it all fell over – until "restricted messenger" application was deactivated and after that everything works correctly.

I see that this application was updated on 14 February. I can't remember when I applied the update that maybe it is a problem with the updated application – although the problem might be uniquely ours in that it clashes with one of our plug-ins.

I'm putting a call out to the developer @A Zayed although as I've said, it probably isn't an inherent which – it simply an incompatibility which is may be unique to our forum

Yes, we seem to have found the problem – all part of the problem so that switching off the application seems to get things going again but it doesn't explain what is wrong.

There is clearly some coincidental clash here but trying to work it out is like trying to solve the Three Body Problem.

Also, just to make it clear, I think that this is a glitch which is restricted particularly to our circumstances. I don't think that this problem has been reported by other people who have purchased this application and also I'd like to say that the developer has already reached out to us so there is no problem with the support.