Can I restrict certain user groups from sending Private Messages?

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

I would like to restrict certain user groups from sending Private Messages on my forum.  Is this possible natively, or is there an add-on that does this?

Scenario:

• We frequently deal with a problem wherein someone will join my community and start spamming members privately.

• I would like to set up a promotions schema where "New Members" can't send private messages.  After a few days and/or a few pubic postings made to show that they aren't a spam-bot, they would be automatically promoted to "Full Member" status.

• Full Member status would allow use of private messages.

Thanks in advance for any help or recommendations.  🙂

• Solution

You can disable complete access to the Messaging system by going to ACP -> System -> Applications -> expand "System" -> on "Messages" click permissions and uncheck groups you do not want access to this module.

You can also manage Message settings from ACP -> Members -> Groups -> edit group -> Social tab -> Messages.

3 minutes ago, Ziggs said:

I need to spend some time digging into this more to see what my options are, but is it possible to allow a user group to receive messages but not send new?

We have conversations to start per day and per minute. This would cover starting new conversations but not replying to existing conversations or those conversations sent to theme by users who can send messages.

4 minutes ago, Ziggs said:

is it possible to allow a user group to receive messages but not send new?

No, but you can use the following resource and set a high number of post count:

Like 100,000. That means that only members in selected groups with 100,000 posts will be able to start new messages but they can receive and reply.

3 hours ago, Jim M said:

We have conversations to start per day and per minute. This would cover starting new conversations but not replying to existing conversations or those conversations sent to theme by users who can send messages.

Jim, thanks for this.  If I set a zero (0) value in the "Per Day" field, does that effectively stop them from starting a new conversation?

I know that this may sound obtuse, but sometimes zero equals no limit so I wasn't sure if a value of zero in the field was the equivalent of checking the box for "Unlimited".

Thanks.

On 2/7/2022 at 1:21 PM, Jim M said:

On 2/7/2022 at 4:55 PM, Ziggs said:

Jim, thanks for this.  If I set a zero (0) value in the "Per Day" field, does that effectively stop them from starting a new conversation?

I know that this may sound obtuse, but sometimes zero equals no limit so I wasn't sure if a value of zero in the field was the equivalent of checking the box for "Unlimited".

Thanks.

On 2/8/2022 at 3:43 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

Yes, that is correct. 

I wanted to come back to this and provide an update.  The method that @Jim M outlined of limiting the conversations that a particular user group can start per day, and setting it to ZERO, worked perfectly for my scenario.

I have combined this with some simple Member Group Promotion rules elsewhere in the Admin Panel, which moves users from their initial group of New Member  to one called Active Member after certain criteria are met.  The Active Member group removes the "zero per day" restriction on starting new conversations.

So, good success here and, again, my appreciation to @Jim M and the rest of you for your help.

Bill Murray Thank You GIF by filmeditor