Changing site (and community) URL without downtime

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

Hi, 

I'm supposed to change my site address from x to y. The files will stay in the same place, but the address is simply changed. The old address will also work, but redirect to the new URL. 

image.thumb.png.8d628e2a82956efd9417eab4c7b7cbb7.png

The instructions kind of make sense, but is the only option to temporarily shut down the site, so that the current URL doesn't work, and then the Invision system will allow me to point to the new location?

5 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Its only the redirect that you need to move, which is redirecting from old to new. As soon as you have done the reset, you can place that redirect back

I hear ya, just worried it might break the entire site as they share login and other member related pieces. 🤔😅

7 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Im a little lost as to what you mean there. Im referring to that which redirects from your old IPS location to the new IPS location. If you still have an IPS install in the old location it indeed would not let you reset this

Files are not physically moving anywhere, only the URL to the site.

I'm saying if the site relies on IPS for some functionality and we point the original URL somewhere else temporarily and the new URL points to the correct place, but it hasn't been updated on the IPS side - the community and the shared parts probably won't work until URL is updated in the IPS customer profile.

So I guess my question is: Should this change process work within seconds/minutes of redirecting the old location?

Edited by KenuFHR

On 2/7/2022 at 5:13 PM, Marc Stridgen said:

You would do the following

• Change the URL within your conf_global.php file
  • Reset the URL in your client area
  • Add any redirects you wish from your old URL to the new URL

Hi again,

Have done the reset but when I try to log in to the software now but I cannot login atm to the community software with the new address. It gives me this error:
image.thumb.png.98d8437100c8150e61a77e24f244750e.png

I can reactivate the old URL and get to log in that way, but if I update the license key through that way it will probably lock it to the old URL again. Any advice @Marc Stridgen @Jim M

Edit: Trying to access the ACP directly causes a similar result.

image.thumb.png.e1c342ff0731cb4bab703bebdb8195a6.png

Edited by KenuFHR

Please note that changing the URL on file will not cause what you are seeing there. Check what you have changed in your conf_global.php file first of all, and if you Would Like us to take a look, please let us know.

Note, you will need to ensure you update your access details if you would like for us to take a look for you

2 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Please note that changing the URL on file will not cause what you are seeing there. Check what you have changed in your conf_global.php file first of all, and if you Would Like us to take a look, please let us know.

Note, you will need to ensure you update your access details if you would like for us to take a look for you

Thank you Marc. I sent you a PM regarding the first point. I'll have to get back to you regarding access details.

8 minutes ago, KenuFHR said:

Thank you Marc. I sent you a PM regarding the first point. I'll have to get back to you regarding access details.

Please note that while sending a PM is fine if you desire, my colleague who you sent it to is in a different time zone and their shift has ended. If you have an issue you want to solve quickly, any questions on your URL, I would recommend posting here. If you want to share sensitive information, like your conf_global.php file, providing us access is generally the best way.

2 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

I am logged into your site without any issues there. Please clear your browser cache and then test this again

Did you try changing the config file to use the new address? We had to revert to the old address due to the problems. The old address works fine for me too. I described the old and new domains in the 'Notes' field.

Would it be easier to write about this privately?

13 minutes ago, KenuFHR said:

Did you try changing the config file to use the new address? We had to revert to the old address due to the problems. The old address works fine for me too. I described the old and new domains in the 'Notes' field.

Would it be easier to write about this privately?

You would need to update to the site in the proper location and URL for us to investigate. We would not be able to move the installation for you, I'm afraid.

4 minutes ago, Jim M said:

You would need to update to the site in the proper location and URL for us to investigate. We would not be able to move the installation for you, I'm afraid.

It is the same exact location, we are only switching domains, not servers. According to my understanding the new domain is also pointing to the correct folder - it's only the community redirecting to the default config URL at the moment. Thus changing the config file should then use new domain.

Edited by KenuFHR

1 minute ago, KenuFHR said:

It is the same exact location, we are only switching domains, not servers. According to my understanding the new domain is also pointing to the correct folder - it's only the community redirecting to the default config URL at the moment. Thus changing the config file should then use new domain.

Please have the environment setup where you're having an issue and I can certainly investigate it. 

Your conf_global.php , constants.php, datastore folder, and uploads folder are encountering errors or our account does not have access. As you're using symbolic links on your server, I would advise placing these actual files in the installation directory as it could be creating issues.

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

Your conf_global.php , constants.php, datastore folder, and uploads folder are encountering errors or our account does not have access. As you're using symbolic links on your server, I would advise placing these actual files in the installation directory as it could be creating issues.

Thanks Jim, I'll revert back to the old URL while we digest your feedback.

On 2/14/2022 at 10:14 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

Please do let us know if you require any futhre assistance, but it does seem at this point the issues are related to your server setup

Thanks Marc.

It seems issues were related to COOKIE_DOMAIN in constants.php and by updating that, we're getting further. There are still some issues with some icons pointing to the old domain, but I'm thinking that might be linked to the license, which seems to have reverted back to the old domain again and is refusing to be removed as long as the old domain is pointing to the new domain. I remember there being a note about not being able to do it for free too often, but as we weren't able to assign the new address last time, I assume it will still work.