Different Mod Permissions per forum

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

I swear this was always a function of IPB, but I can't seem to figure out how to set moderator permissions by individual forum for a user group.

For example, I need to allow Group A to be able to Pin topics in Forum A, but not close topics. Also, I need Group A to be able to close topics in Forum B, but not pin topics.

As I see it, I can allow Group A to Pin and Close topics in only both those forums, but I see no way to allow pinning only in one forum and closing topics only in another forum, without giving the group the ability to Pin and Close topics in both forums.

Is this no longer possible?

Thanks for the help

• Solution

I'm afraid, the granularity that you're after here with a moderator group having different permissions per forum is not really possible here. While you can provide moderators control over only specific forums, those permissions would be the same across those specific forums you select.

I haven't tested this but you may be able to create this as separate groups and assign it as secondary groups.

Why can't you just add a group to the moderators staff page and added 'restricted' and then choose the forums you want them to look after? Same process for single users too? This should allow you to pin/close in each forum. But, to be honest, there is no reason not to allow them to do both, just tell them not close or pin a topic. You should be able to trust them if they're becoming moderators.

Way back with IP.Board it used to show 'Forum led by: <Moderator name> - Of course, you can add this manually in the description.

You will need to have separate groups, though; Group A and Group B.

7 minutes ago, Dean_ said:

Why can't you just add a group to the moderators staff page and added 'restricted' and then choose the forums you want them to look after? Same process for single users too? This should allow you to pin/close in each forum. But, to be honest, there is no reason not to allow them to do both, just tell them not close or pin a topic. You should be able to trust them if they're becoming moderators.

Just a warning: If you add an individual moderator permission, such as with their display name instead of with groups, the display name permissions would override the group permissions.

11 hours ago, Jim M said:

I'm afraid, the granularity that you're after here with a moderator group having different permissions per forum is not really possible here. While you can provide moderators control over only specific forums, those permissions would be the same across those specific forums you select.

I haven't tested this but you may be able to create this as separate groups and assign it as secondary groups.

Thanks for the clarification, I was afraid this was the case. I would assume you're right as far as the secondary group idea, that might be the way I need to go.

10 hours ago, Dean_ said:

Way back with IP.Board it used to show 'Forum led by: <Moderator name> - Of course, you can add this manually in the description.

You will need to have separate groups, though; Group A and Group B.

My use-case deals with employees so in general trust isn't a huge concern, more of an idiot-proofing if you will.

I can definitely work around it so it's not a huge deal, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a way to make my job easier 😂

Thank you both for the help.

18 hours ago, Jim M said:

Just a warning: If you add an individual moderator permission, such as with their display name instead of with groups, the display name permissions would override the group permissions.

Thanks for that. So, it's always worth making different groups, and add the restrictions to each group? (I don't/haven't used usernames, I use groups personally)

51 minutes ago, Dean_ said:

Thanks for that. So, it's always worth making different groups, and add the restrictions to each group? (I don't/haven't used usernames, I use groups personally)

In depends on your own use case, but if you want them to merge, then yes. But for example if I want to say "I don't care what groups this person has, I want to set x permissions for moderation and admin" I would set them as an individual as that overrides anything else.