no update for lastest ipb

2 hours ago, Steph40 said:

Because you never sign up for anything? I don't see the issue.

Issue is it's locked behind an account system when it does not need to be.

1 hour ago, Darth Vortex said:

You need an account to download here too.

I've also been a paying customer for many years, there's a difference. I'm paying for the product and support - as a bonus I have access to the Marketplace.

To both: It'd be like requiring an account to download a file from BetaNews, FileHippo, Softpedia, or even from Google to get Chrome - Mozilla for Firefox, etc. You don't need accounts at any of those sites to download the software which is available for free.

For the sake of privacy and security practices, why should i have to give out my email on a random site I've never visited before today, to download a file maybe once or twice a year? That's likely why there are so many services where you can get disposable emails.

It's really just an issue with permissions that should be changed.

1 hour ago, Tarun said:

It'd be like requiring an account to download a file from BetaNews, FileHippo, Softpedia

You can't compare this to those download portals. Every dev here that runs his own site and offers software and support (free or paid) does this for members only.

That's exactly the same as you are writing only one line above that. The only difference is, you don't even have to pay :wink:

I'm sorry that you disagree with an accurate representation and comparison for sharing files.

Though, while we're at it. Since it's your site and all, why not upload the file here to the Marketplace? Or perhaps this is an attempt to draw more traffic to your website? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say I don't think that's the case.

4 hours ago, Tarun said:

I'm sorry that you disagree with an accurate representation and comparison for sharing files.

Though, while we're at it. Since it's your site and all, why not upload the file here to the Marketplace? Or perhaps this is an attempt to draw more traffic to your website? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say I don't think that's the case.

There are many reasons as to why a developer uploads files to his/her website. Drawing traffic might be one of them. You say it as it is a bad thing, but it is not bad at all. The file in question is free and the dev put some time and effort in coding it and if they draw some traffic from it, then that is their reward for their hard work.  If you want to download it, then you will have to register at the dev 's site. Otherwise you can either a) request one to be developed for you, or b) learn how to code and code it yourself.

I am sorry to say this, but the way you are complaining about this, it is very irritating.  You can get something for free, but you do not want to lift a finger. Perhaps the developer can come to your home and install the plugin for you as well while he is at it? 😄

Edited by Miss_B

Like @Miss_B already said there are many reasons. Distributing files via the Markerplace has it's pros and cons - for developers AND users.

I prefer not to offer all files in the MP, only themes. That's my decision and you have to respect that. In the end it's simple, If you don't like that just don't use the addons, I don't want to sell anything.

Funfact: On my old XenForo site you can instant download all my addons and translations without signing up. The difference is they are abandoned after I left XF. They are no longer developed and no longer receive updates. If anyone still wants some of the old stuff he can get it, but on his own risk because I don't support them anymore.

4 hours ago, Miss_B said:

There are many reasons as to why a developer uploads files to his/her website. Drawing traffic might be one of them. You say it as it is a bad thing, but it is not bad at all. The file in question is free and the dev put some time and effort in coding it and if they draw some traffic from it, then that is their reward for their hard work.  If you want to download it, then you will have to register at the dev 's site. Otherwise you can either a) request one to be developed for you, or b) learn how to code and code it yourself.

I am sorry to say this, but the way you are complaining about this, it is very irritating.  You can get something for free, but you do not want to lift a finger. Perhaps the developer can come to your home and install the plugin for you as well while he is at it? 😄

The entire fact of the matter is about having to create another account on another website that a person likely would not return to, solely for a file. This fact, though clearly stated, seems to be missed.

There's lots of places that have free software - allow downloads for their software, components, plugins, etc - all without requiring an account.

A few examples:

My own website has software I've developed and offer for free, same with tech support. There is no forced registration requirements to download, to post asking for help, or to download attachments.

My goal with my software is that I want to reach as many people as possible, and help those who need it.

I do not care about trying to artificially inflate my website's numbers with accounts of people just coming to download software or a quick question. It serves no purpose or point. If people want to stick around that's their choice - they are not obligated or forced to for any reason.

Even here in the Marketplace I offer a custom .htaccess file to help people speed up their websites and have them load more efficiently. Freely distributed, no price on it, simply there to help others with a similar goal.

One thing is for certain, everyone has their own goals and decisions they believe is the best. You have to make bad decisions to learn and make good decisions. I do believe this is a contributing factor as to why there are so many disposable emails/account services online.

59 minutes ago, Tarun said:

The entire fact of the matter is about having to create another account on another website that a person likely would not return to, solely for a file. This fact, though clearly stated, seems to be missed.

Trust me, no one missed that point. You just seem to brush over the fact that there can be reasons to force a person to register DESPITE them “likely not returning”. 

There's lots of places that have free software - allow downloads for their software, components, plugins, etc - all without requiring an account.

So? Because others do it, it must be the right approach? Are you really not seeing the objective logical flaw in that reasoning?
And should we point you to a few of the hundreds of thousands of websites that DO require a registration? Do THOSE sites then equally prove that it is the right decision to force a registration? See how this type of reasoning doesn’t work?

My goal with my software is that I want to reach as many people as possible, and help those who need it.

Good for you. Others have different goals. Yet, you want to paint it as if their approach must be based on “bad decisions”. And you assert questionable reasons like “inflating registration numbers”. Who said that was a reason? No one. So why do you assert it and put it out there? It’s dishonest! You ignore the reasons that people are actually giving you and make up your own reason for them, which you can then dismiss as bad. And you assert that forcing a registration cannot “serve a purpose”. Sorry, but that is either arrogance or ignorance. You assert that your approach and your opinion must be the only valid one – despite the millions of websites and apps requiring registrations who’s owners all apparently do not see what you see. 

For the sake of privacy and security practices, why should i have to give out my email on a random site I've never visited before today, to download a file maybe once or twice a year?

Oh, that is simple: Because you might want the file.

It’s just another trade offer. For commercial offers, it’s product traded for money. In the freemium field on the internet, it can also be file or service traded for registration. You decide if it’s worth it to you. If not, just move on. 

Just because the offer doesn’t work for you, doesn’t mean that the one making the offer has made a mistake. It just means you are not the right “customer” for their offer. If I walk through a mall, there are thousands of offers that don’t work for me. Yet, I don’t approach the store owners telling them they are doing it wrong, because their offers don’t match what the products would be worth it to me. That would be kind of ridiculous. Yet, it’s exactly what you are doing here. 

Edited by opentype