Files not being deleted?

Go to solution Solved by Andy Millne,

I've been testing problems with my Downloads module over the past couple of weeks, and this involved uploading (and then deleting) several files ranging in size from 100-600MB. 

It was when I was backing up my site(s) that I noticed vastly inflated file sizes (when I know nothing major was going on).  I went into the Moderator CP and made sure that any Deleted Content was deleted permanently before performing site backups.

After some checking, I realised that some of these test files in fact haven't been deleted - they were still in the monthly uploads folders and had to be deleted manually.

So two questions:

1. Has anyone else had this problem?
  2. Could cron jobs have anything to do with this?  For some reason I found my site's tasks were set to run with traffic, when they should have followed a cron job (this has since been fixed).

Thanks in advance for any insights!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Solution

Downloads files are deleted immediately after the main file records are *permanently* deleted (not soft deleted). There are occasions where "unclaimed" files may remain however. For example, if you upload a file on the submission form and delete it or upload without submitting the form then these will be retained in case the user returns to submit later.

Those temporary files are deleted via a task after one day so if your tasks weren't running or you took your backup during that 1 day period then it would explain why you may have had some redundant files.

I hope that helps. 

On 10/2/2021 at 10:23 AM, SecondSight said:

This was actually responded to in the message above by my colleague. At the time you posted there, we did not officially provide support via the community. However it does seem it was missed there. I will respond to that now for you so we can get it sorted