Display Number of downloads remaining or suggest sub.

I'm looking for a plugin/addon that would show users how many more downloads they are allowed within a given time.  On my site I limit specific user groups to a specific number of downloads from the files section within a 24 hour period.  There is nothing that indicates how many downloads a user has or if they have reached their limit for the day.  Currently; the only message that appears when a user reaches their download is simply "You don't have permission to download this file".  This message is confusing to people as they believe that they have been banned and sometimes causes users to register another account...

I think something like this could be used as a marketing tool that could help push users towards subscribing to the site.

Specifics:
* Located near the download button in files section.
* Show user a reminder of how many downloads they have left for specified time period.
** Once their # of downloads for the time period have ended, let them know their number of downloads in specified time has been reached, have it suggest starting a subscription and link to the subscription page.  
* Possible block for the Pages application so it can be placed anywhere on pages.

I don't think there is a plugin/addon for this, if you are willing to create such an addon... I'm willing to sponsor it.

Edited by Circo
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So with Downloads Plus (kinda not getting updated) I think this is an opportunity for a good dev to fill in a void where one is needed.  Integrating this feature and many more.  I listed it below for someone else but figured I will post it public here.

We need a new Downloads Plus app.  Lets call "Enhanced Downloads" just for giggles and grins.  Honestly I wish @Adriano Faria would make this but he is busy AF.  So here is what this damn app should do

1. Merging the Details, Comments, Reviews, and Changelog sections into the main tabs like downloads Plus

This is what the details area looks like (I have an additional field turned on)

Could contain: Text, Label, Word

All the way at the bottom is where Comments and Reviews are

Could contain: Text

Having these merged at the top, IMO is the core reason anyone used this app.  Sure the other stuff is great but I found my users almost never used those features making them more of an annoyance.

2. Adding features to better integrate with the system (What this post is all about)

First feature up front is a better visual UI elements for the Anti Leech systems.  Yes a lot of of us limit downloads to a certain amount per day/week/year.  However users have no clue how many downloads they ever have left.  Adding an optional button or message box under the downloads file button to show this would be perfect.  I know before you did this in an overlay....but that simply is not as intuitive as a actual visual UI element clear and present.

I think with different apps sun setting per say, this is something that will definitely fill that void.  SO here is another bump with more details

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
On 7/3/2022 at 8:22 AM, beats23 said:

any update on a plugin/app that can do this?

On 5/12/2021 at 7:18 AM, Circo said:

I'm looking for a plugin/addon that would show users how many more downloads they are allowed within a given time.  On my site I limit specific user groups to a specific number of downloads from the files section within a 24 hour period.  There is nothing that indicates how many downloads a user has or if they have reached their limit for the day.  Currently; the only message that appears when a user reaches their download is simply "You don't have permission to download this file".  This message is confusing to people as they believe that they have been banned and sometimes causes users to register another account...

I think something like this could be used as a marketing tool that could help push users towards subscribing to the site.

Specifics:
* Located near the download button in files section.
* Show user a reminder of how many downloads they have left for specified time period.
** Once their # of downloads for the time period have ended, let them know their number of downloads in specified time has been reached, have it suggest starting a subscription and link to the subscription page.  
* Possible block for the Pages application so it can be placed anywhere on pages.

I don't think there is a plugin/addon for this, if you are willing to create such an addon... I'm willing to sponsor it.

Ok old thread. I paid for Adriano to create something custom but simple. Maybe if enough people have interest he can make it available on his site.

Could contain: Text, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware, Monitor, Screen

Works perfectly.

1 minute ago, HDiddy said:

Ok old thread. I paid for Adriano to create something custom but simple. Maybe if enough people have interest he can make it available on his site.

Could contain: Text, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware, Monitor, Screen

Works perfectly.

Not so perfect. It shouldn’t display, in your image, the Week and Month since you didn’t restrict them. Will fix it and send to you. 👍