Lifetime 'renewal' option

Hello, I'm making this thread in hope that someone is knowledgeable enough on this software to help me out. IPS has two product types, regular products, and subscription packages. There's a huge issue though, at least with what I'm experiencing. I can setup prices quite nicely with products, but the problem is I can't add a "lifetime" option. With subscriptions, you can add a lifetime option, but the pricing functionality is completely scuffed. Why am I only able to setup a initial price and renewal price? On my current product, I have options for a day, week, month, and "100 years" since there is no lifetime option, which looks absolutely ridiculous and out of place. It's either, have a layout with different prices for different time periods, or have a subscription package which only allows you to pick a initial and renewal term. I'd really appreciate some insight on how to achieve what I'm wanting here.

I'm actually quite stunned by the lack of proper commerce functionality on this software, let alone the amount of bugs I experience. I just renewed my license in order to upgrade my forum to the latest version, hoping that it'd fix the bugs I was experiencing (and for the most part - this version did not fix most of the bugs I was experiencing). Honestly, for the price point, I was expecting something better.

Thanks.

Regarding the bugs you are referencing, we have no open Commerce bugs in our bug tracker system (although there are some bug fixes queued for 4.6). Which bugs are you referring to? Have you reported them through the ticket system to ensure we are aware and can be certain the issues are resolved?

As to your original question, there is no real way to set up a product that renews but to also have an indefinite purchase option. What I expect most people would do is set up two separate products, such as "My license" which has various renewal options, and "My license (lifetime)" which is more expensive but has no renewal terms. These two separate products can be configured to behave the same - i.e. to award the same groups and so on.

On 1/20/2021 at 9:16 AM, bfarber said:

Regarding the bugs you are referencing, we have no open Commerce bugs in our bug tracker system (although there are some bug fixes queued for 4.6). Which bugs are you referring to? Have you reported them through the ticket system to ensure we are aware and can be certain the issues are resolved?

I have and received very poor support. I managed to look into it and find the issue myself. It's fixed now thankfully, although I'm still having an issue with PayPal but I'm pretty sure that this is on PayPal's side and not Invision's.

On 1/20/2021 at 9:16 AM, bfarber said:

As to your original question, there is no real way to set up a product that renews but to also have an indefinite purchase option. What I expect most people would do is set up two separate products, such as "My license" which has various renewal options, and "My license (lifetime)" which is more expensive but has no renewal terms. These two separate products can be configured to behave the same - i.e. to award the same groups and so on.

No disrespect, but that is a terrible band-aid solution, and would look just as funky as my current method.. This will also cause problems with other personal software I use to gauge if the person has a lifetime subscription.. I don't believe adding a native "Lifetime" option would be too hard.. Can this please be looked into in future IPS updates..? I mean no offense, but in terms of Commerce, I've seen better functionality in MyBB plugins.

EDIT: PayPal has finally responded to me and this is the message they've sent.

Thank you for contacting PayPal Merchant Support. My name is -- and I understand that you have a concern regarding capturing funds and held payments.  I have reviewed your account, and I show that your payments are being processed from your website as authorization and capture.  This would mean that you or your website will need to capture each payment.  If you do not wish to have them process this way, please work with your webhost or developer to adjust your website settings.  They will want to set it to capture the funds.  Once they have done this, the payments will complete right away into your account.

I know this software has a ton of issues with CloudFlare or something. I'll try to see if that is causing it, as that was what "support" assumed - which was actually not the case at all for Stripe.

Edited by Mike I

39 minutes ago, Mike I said:

No disrespect, but that is a terrible band-aid solution, and would look just as funky as my current method.. This will also cause problems with other personal software I use to gauge if the person has a lifetime subscription.. I don't believe adding a native "Lifetime" option would be too hard.. Can this please be looked into in future IPS updates..? I mean no offense, but in terms of Commerce, I've seen better functionality in MyBB plugins.

You are certainly welcome to suggest changes to the software in our feedback forum if you would like to see new or different functionality.

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/forum/180-sales-feedback-and-information/

39 minutes ago, Mike I said:

I know this software has a ton of issues with CloudFlare or something. I'll try to see if that is causing it, as that was what "support" assumed - which was actually not the case at all for Stripe.

I can ohly suggest submitting a ticket at this stage. Unfortunately without investigating directly I can only offer guesses.

1 hour ago, bfarber said:

I can ohly suggest submitting a ticket at this stage. Unfortunately without investigating directly I can only offer guesses.

Seems like any ticket you submit just prompts them to say "turn off CloudFlare" even if the issue seems completely unrelated. But alright, I appreciate the help and I'll submit my suggestion now. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Mike I said:

Seems like any ticket you submit just prompts them to say "turn off CloudFlare" even if the issue seems completely unrelated. But alright, I appreciate the help and I'll submit my suggestion now. Thanks.

Within Cloudflare, disable Rocketloader.  

Also, you can ask for tickets to be escalated.  Sometimes you need to stand your ground with Tier 1.  

6 minutes ago, Joel R said:

Within Cloudflare, disable Rocketloader.  

Also, you can ask for tickets to be escalated.  Sometimes you need to stand your ground with Tier 1.  

Unfortunately, it's actually already off. I've added some bypass rules though, and I hope that it fixes it. The Stripe issue was unrelated to CloudFlare but I managed to get it working. I'm hoping PayPal is actually a CF problem and will fix itself. Waiting to test it. Thank you though.

• 3 weeks later...