restrict moderated members from posting in a forum

Go to solution Solved by Adriano Faria,

A few of our moderators threw an idea at me and also said that it was possible when we were using VB, so I'm asking to see if it's also possible on IPS.

Is there any way to block a member who's content currently needs approval (because of multiple warning) from posting in a certain forum/s? We have one forum that is basically just banter, and posting in it is reserved for long(er) time members who abide by the community rules and basically are good guys. So as a penalty for breaking the rules multiple times we'd want to just outright revoke the right to post there. is there any non-manual way to do that? 

*members who are allowed to post in that forum are obviously in a specific secondary group, so all that needs to be done is remove them from it for the duration they are being moderated. 

Thanks, But it's not exactly what I meant.
What I wanted to do is restrict the ability to post at all (hide the comment box) only in a specific forum (or forums), while they can still post in all other forums they have permission to post in (after approval by a mod). Sort of like remove the post permission from selected forums for the time they're being moderated. 

2 hours ago, Pavel Chernitsky said:

What I wanted to do is restrict the ability to post at all (hide the comment box) only in a specific forum (or forums), while they can still post in all other forums they have permission to post in (after approval by a mod). Sort of like remove the post permission from selected forums for the time they're being moderated. 

This can not be done with the built in options a.f.a.i.k. It will require a custom app.

3 hours ago, Pavel Chernitsky said:

It’s moderated/restricted  everywhere or no where unfortunately.

This is a good idea, Pavel. We've considered something similar ourselves. There are certain areas of our community that members have a hard time controlling themselves in, while they can be model netizens elsewhere. It would be a nice feature to be able to restrict members from a particular forum, and integration with the warning system would be nice. Perhaps Adriano would consider supporting the moderated or restricted statuses as well in his plugin.

1 hour ago, Paul E. said:

netizens

LOL, netizens. Love it 😁

And I don't deserve the credit, it's our moderators who said that VBulletin had a similar feature/plugin/addon. I have no idea since I wasn't the community manager for the site at the time we were on vb. I was being busy hating it and pushing to move to IPS.

• Solution
4 hours ago, Paul E. said:

Perhaps Adriano would consider supporting the moderated or restricted statuses as well in his plugin.

4 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

Giving some thought...

Version 1.0.1 submitted to the marketplace:

vZaXaNe.png

User can't create new topics in the chosen forums:

3Xk44kU.png

4Hm7gQG.png

Or reply to existing topics in chose forums:

JhFkBTh.png

2 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Version 1.0.1 submitted to the marketplace:

This looks interesting, but it may be more useful to do the same thing as ban--move the user into a separately specified usergroup, which would then not have permission to post in a particular forum or forums, or other permission based content areas.

@Paul E. I actually think @Adriano Faria's idea is a bit easier to implement and I don't see how it would effectively function differently if you move the user to another group. Plus, since moderation is usually time constrained, if you move a moderated member to another group, you're also going to have to move them back when they're out of moderation. 

@Adriano Faria Wow man, that was quick! Cheers! Does that also prevent the user from replying to topics or just post new ones? Because i think preventing them from replying is also important. I don't think it needs to be a separate setting - just one to prevent posting completely. If a member is in a "time out", they should be in a full on time out.