Sorting existing "Custom Emojis"

Hi there, quick question.

My members are very interested in a better way to search for "custom emojis," or "emotes" as they're nicknamed on my forum. They are extremely popular and often used on my site.

Check out this thread that one of my members started.

Wondering... would it be possible somehow to sort existing custom emotes? For example, ALL of our custom emotes are in one Group.

I was thinking of categorizing custom emotes by Group so it's easier to find them. For example, Groups named:

• Happy
  • Funny
  • Sad etc

I would like to avoid re-uploading all of our emotes as there are currently hundreds. It would be awesome just to drag and drop or re-categorize into groups somehow. Is this possible?

It would be also awesome to assign tags to the emotes. For example, if a user searched for either "britney, smile, peace" this would pop up:

saycheese.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You can create groups and drag and drop emoji between the group via the ACP > Customization > Emoji. At the top, there's an option to add a new group. Do that, give it the name you want, and then just click on the space above the existing custom emoji and drag it into the group you want.

For the tags bit, that's probably a custom mod.

Edited by Paul E.

2 minutes ago, V0RT3X666 said:

There already is some kind of tag function too, you can search the replacements 😉

For example your replacement could be :britney_smilie_peace: or whatever.

Oh! Interesting idea. Do you mean using System > Settings > Posting > Word Filters to replace a number of different variations of the emoji text to the one that's configured as an emoji? If so, that might work for those folks typing them in, yet I'm not sure about searching in the emoji chooser.

Much easier, look here...

766611935_Download(1).png.3f7697ece6dfba246577a8ddfc8bea74.png

The text below the smilie is the replacement in the editor. The smilie dropdown is searcheable.

2 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

For example, if a user searched for either "britney, smile, peace" this would pop up

And exactly that's it. You only have to use the right tags/keywords in the replacements.

Simply call a smilie :britney_funny_peace:, :britney_drunk_stoned: and so on, you see what I mean 😄

1 hour ago, V0RT3X666 said:

Much easier, look here...

766611935_Download(1).png.3f7697ece6dfba246577a8ddfc8bea74.png

The text below the smilie is the replacement in the editor. The smilie dropdown is searcheable.

And exactly that's it. You only have to use the right tags/keywords in the replacements.

Simply call a smilie :britney_funny_peace:, :britney_drunk_stoned: and so on, you see what I mean 😄

This is a GREAT suggestion! I tried it and it worked amazingly. I don't know why I didn't think of it! But that's the beauty of this place. Thank you @V0RT3X666

As far as sorting goes... there's no solution to that besides re-uploading I presume? 

10 hours ago, Morrigan said:

@breatheheavy Its not super intuitive. But upload a new custom emoji and "Create a new group" this will give you a new emoji group to sort. Do this for as many groups as you want or need.

AHHH ok so I figured out why the folders weren't creating before. The emote I was using had @2x.png in the name. Problem is I wasn't uploading a version that wasn't HD as well. Just the HD one, so it wouldn't create the folder.

Just now, I uploaded both versions of the same emote, standard and HD, and it created the folder! Now I can easily drag and drop the emotes.

One thing I find interesting is that you can't simply create a folder. You must upload an emote as you create the folder. But that's no big deal. 

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! 

Now, to organize hundreds of these guys... 😂