My list of wanted cms/pages app improvements

Numbered

Features that I missed in current IPS:

• we can't export/import blocks from one site to another one (we doing all changes on the staging server before deploying them to the production one)
  • block contains media with their id's. So when we upload the same media files they have different id's. It will fix if the media supports folder and filenames instead of id. We can upload a lot of media files to different websites and copy-paste pages/blocks code contains the media. It might look like {media="some/folder/file_name.jpg"}
  • if we have a lot of pages and switches from one 'main' page to another one we couldn't find on the next time which page is actual default right now. we should click on the arrow of every page to see if the star icon filled or empty.
  • templates (page templates, css, js) - you couldn't understand where the current css file used now. You can only jump into the edition of each page and remember that. It's not useful.
  • cms don't support languages at all. So in every block, we used code 
{{$lang = \IPS\Member::loggedIn()->language()->short;}}
{{if mb_strpos($lang, 'de_DE') === 0}}
some html
{{elseif mb_strpos($lang, 'fr_FR') === 0}}
some FR html
... additional 10+ languages
{{else}}
EN content
{{endif}}

Or you can define variable inside conditions and call them. This is very dumb way to support multilanguage in 'cms'. And, no cache available for all language based blocks at all.

• block editing in ACP is unuseful. we have very little space for the editor (HTML). No 'revert' option (if save will support ajax we'll have a browser default Ctrl+Z option, but.. we haven't it with reload)
  • same as for templates - when we editing block we couldn't understand on which page it used now
  • You couldn't link the block content with template CSS and JS. Mostly it might be the default way to linking (blocks should be self-dependent). Right now it doesn't (in case of css and js).

I hope this list helps the devs to understand the daily pains of our content managers.

Thank you

block contains media with their id's. So when we upload the same media files they have different id's. It will fix if the media supports folder and filenames instead of id. We can upload a lot of media files to different websites and copy-paste pages/blocks code contains the media. It might look like {media="some/folder/file_name.jpg"}

This is already supported just FYI. The tag presented may use the id, but the folder/filename.ext syntax also works.

19 hours ago, bfarber said:

This is already supported just FYI. The tag presented may use the id, but the folder/filename.ext syntax also works.

@bfarber, thank you so much! I don't know about that before and this will be extremely helpful for us. We doing very complex works with cms application and this is the best option for us. There are fresh examples of what we have done with the cms app (all made inside CMS including languages, registrations, and back-end features). https://wowslegends.com/ https://wowslegends.com/promo1/ 
Is there any change in the future to improve other parts that I mentioned above?