How can I add a description of my community?

Admin 1

I've started building my site and am new to the system.  I had a developer put the page together for me, but now I'm trying to learn the system myself to further customize it.

On the main page above my first forum listing but below the title section I want to add a description of the community and its purpose.  I tried to insert an announcement, but first it only showed the title and not the content (maybe that's how announcements are supposed to work).  Somehow in trying to edit the announcement it disappeared completely.

So my questions are:

1) Is an announcement the best way to add a community description to my home page?

2) How can I locate the announcement I had originally created, in order to edit or delete it?

Any guidance for this lost newbie would be greatly appreciated!

Pat

Here is my site for reference: https://www.recruitinginfo.com/

That sounds perfect.  Excuse my ignorance here, but how do I add a widget?  I assume I want to be in the AdminCP area, but then what?

I'm at the most basic level of understanding when it comes to the way these sites are configured.

You should see a small arrow in the left-hand side that opens up the Block Manager.  It will contain several prebuilt blocks, one of which is the Guest Block.  

I agree with @opentype that the Guest Block is the best place for a site description, since if also contains the call to action for registration.  Remember to place the Guest Block on all pages! 

OK, thanks guys... making progress!  I found the block area, and added a guest signup widget.  Then under details I entered a name and description, and under feed configuration I did the same.  I don't seem to be able to enter anything in the content tab.

I hit save, but I don't see any change to the site.

I assume I'm missing a step?

I guess I'm not sure how to add the widget to pages.

11 minutes ago, Admin 1 said:

OK, thanks guys... making progress!  I found the block area, and added a guest signup widget.  Then under details I entered a name and description, and under feed configuration I did the same.  I don't seem to be able to enter anything in the content tab.

I hit save, but I don't see any change to the site.

I assume I'm missing a step?

I guess I'm not sure how to add the widget to pages.

Have you tried to visit the page as guest? The guest signup widget is only visible to guests😜

If you want to show something to everybody, you'll need to use the WYSIWYG widget from our pages application or an alternative from our marketplace.

Archived