Is this even possible?

CaptJeff

I have a need on one of my communities to gather biographical submissions from a group of people who may or may not be members.

I have my community inside a folder within my domain.  I would like to make a fill in the blank form of some sort on my site.

I do not know how to build a form within the Invision software.  I do know how to do it using wordpress.

So here are the IS THIS POSSIBLE questions.

Is it possible to build a form in the invision site?  If yes how?

Should I just use a URL to direct them to another one of my sties that is a word press site and hope they do not notice the domain change in the URL?

Could I install a wordpress site on my domain and still have the Invision site working in its folder?

PLEASE understand I am not a developer.  I just play one one TV.

I need to be able to create a form that a user or visitor can fill in online and submit it to an email.

Any ideas would be great.

Jeff.

OK,  I found this, 

It looks doable for me.  Remember I am not a developer,  But I am a good Hack and Paster.

Only problem is the article ends before it tells me how to make it work.  So I can create the fields I want but I do not know how to make the system send me the information entered when you hit submit.

Can anyone show me a help topic or tutorial about more of this creating a form using the Pages and Blocks stuff.

Thank you

Jeff

22 minutes ago, CaptJeff said:

OK,  I found this, 

It looks doable for me.  Remember I am not a developer,  But I am a good Hack and Paster.

Only problem is the article ends before it tells me how to make it work.  So I can create the fields I want but I do not know how to make the system send me the information entered when you hit submit.

Can anyone show me a help topic or tutorial about more of this creating a form using the Pages and Blocks stuff.

Thank you

Jeff

Do you have the pages app, if yes, give it a try before you start coding your own stuff which is 1000x more complicated;) 

In Pages you can set up Pages databases, which you can use to collect any kind of data, since you have full control of the form fields to use. The IPS Guides section, which was already linked, explains how to use Pages databases. 

But honestly, it will be a steep learning curve and a lot of work just to get a form. I agree with others in this post: use an external service. 
If you want to integrate it in your site and not just link the external service, you can embed the form into a Pages page. (if the external service allows this)
ACP → Pages → Pages → Add Page → Manual HTML → Content → [Paste the form HTML code here]

5 minutes ago, CaptJeff said:

Tell me more about this pages databases?

You say "Which was already linked"  I do not know what you are talking about.  What link?  I have looked at all the previous links on this page and none of them would help me build a submission form on my site.

This post has the links: https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/454987-is-this-even-possible/?do=findComment&comment=2806329

O yes,  That is the link I found.  But as I said it does not tell me how to complete my form.  Gives me a few examples of things you could put in a form but no information on how to get the form to actually work.  When you hit submit where does it go?  does it send an email?  How do I set up "Send To"?  Does it create a file in a database?  What database?  How? Do I have to create one?  What information does is save?  What does it tell the user when they submit the form?

As you can see that link and "How To" does not help me much.

Thank you.

Jeff

10 minutes ago, CaptJeff said:

As you can see that link and "How To" does not help me much.

It gives you the foundation of how to work with Pages databases. No tutorial exists for your specific use case. 
Pages would probably be a good solution—if you’d already know how to use it. But you don’t and that’s why I said: don’t go that route. It’s not worth it for your use case. 

• 3 weeks later...

OR,

I have created a domain.  Then uploaded Wordpress,  Then created a form on the domain that works exactly like I want it to.  WAY better than trying to learn how ips does it.

I am still at al loss why the IPS stuff has to be so difficult.

Thank you all for your help and advice.  My answer was way more simple for me and I did not have to purchase some ad on program and pay ever two or six months. 

Jeff

Archived