Pickems X

Pickems X is an app which allows members to predict who will win sports games.

You can break a pickem down into weeks, with games for each week, or you can disable weeks and keep adding games to the contest overall. The member with the most correct picks wins the contest.

Some other features currently included: optional tiebreaker when determining the winner, allow members to predict ties/draws, set the system to use either the word tie or draw, enter a result of canceled for its result to not count one way or the other, reminder notifications sent close to the start of each week/contest, and more.

I have the system prepared for some future features, as well, such as allowing for more than 1 point for some games and career stats, which I didn't have time to get in yet.

Added in an undo game results feature, which was a pain because of how many stats I keep and because of having a cancel game and optional ties/draws features, so I have to test it for a while before updating it here. Also, don't be surprised if I change the name of the app at some point because it kind of bugs me, but I didn't want to confuse it with the past app here or conflict with its data, so named it with an X and put an x in the app key...

Edited by Midnight Modding

Updated to 1.0.1 to allow for undoing accidental incorrect game results and changed select to radio to lessen the chance of it happening to begin with. Also some bug fixes.

I spent a painful amount of time testing undoing tons of types of scenarios, switching from a team winner to a tie, a canceled game to a real winner, tested with ties enabled and not enabled, etc.,.. and checked all the stats in the database and I couldn't get it to mess up.

I forget if I mentioned this in this topic, but I am thinking about adding brackets at some point on this app because a lot of big name sites (yahoo, for instance) do still consider them "pickems". I'll probably leave betting out, though, or I'd just be practically making my same app as my betting one in the past.... I may do a separate betting app with only the betting.

• 2 months later...

Lowered price by $15 for today, in case anyone has a use for it right now despite being near the end of the football season. You could either do a bowl game only pickem or you'd have it for when I have a bracket style pickem in it later on.

I am guessing most who want it and don't yet have it would be waiting until next football season, though. 🙂 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/26/2019 at 7:15 AM, Square Wheels said:

Is there a demo?

Also, is Kick off hard coded?  What if you want to use it for hockey, baseball, basketball...

No demo yet. Kickoff is hardcoded because someone funded the app being made so I made it how he needed first. Plus, typically people don't do pickems for other sports except maybe for playoffs, but I will probably do something to make it be able to sue other wording.

On 12/26/2019 at 11:00 AM, Sethhh. said:

Are you thinking to connect this application with MEMBERS SHOP? ( I want to say that will be awesome to rewards winners with some points )

I was already going to make a points system of my own and integrate it with that and yes probably integrate it with existing ones, would just have to see where they are storing the point totals.

I somehow missed these posts being here until now. Also, I was actually meaning to raise the price back up. I may temporarily leave it down, but eventually it is going back up because other pickem apps have seemingly always been around $50.

Btw, I am still strongly considering putting in a bracket pickem type for things such as the ncaa basketball tournament. Just feels like I am getting it too close to how my betting app already was in the past, but many do consider brackets to be pickems, so it would fit for this type of app.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Midnight Modding said:

if someone comes along who wants this, pm me. I just temporarily have my license inactive because I am in the middle of finishing new features and it's the type of app where people are usually going to buy it during big sports events, which all keep getting ppd lately...

As long as it doesn’t affect college football season I’m ok. It’s the only sport I care about. 

1 minute ago, Ernest_Defoe said:

That sucks but you’ll have it for next year. How about adding features for the college football playoffs?

I'll consider it, but technically you can do it within the weeks of the normal pickem. Only thing with that way is of course the site has tow ait to know who is in the championship game before adding that game.

But now that you mention it, yes it would improve things to have the option to let them pick the championship from day 1 of the bowl games being added.

Also right now the only option is letting people pick up until every game kickoff time. the person who helped fund me making the app wanted it that way. But I could add in options to let sites cut off a week's picks by a deadline... so they'd have to pick all bowl games up front. That is already what I added as an option for ncaa tournament.

22 minutes ago, Midnight Modding said:

I'll consider it, but technically you can do it within the weeks of the normal pickem. Only thing with that way is of course the site has tow ait to know who is in the championship game before adding that game.

But now that you mention it, yes it would improve things to have the option to let them pick the championship from day 1 of the bowl games being added.

Also right now the only option is letting people pick up until every game kickoff time. the person who helped fund me making the app wanted it that way. But I could add in options to let sites cut off a week's picks by a deadline... so they'd have to pick all bowl games up front. That is already what I added as an option for ncaa tournament.

Sounds like good ideas to me. 

It would be awesome if there was some kind of API out there that would let you auto populate all games based on a certain criteria like certain conferences or teams and take care of adding the scores in at the end of the games. That could incorporate with this addon. 

Edited by Ernest_Defoe
5 minutes ago, Ernest_Defoe said:

Sounds like good ideas to me. 

It would be awesome if there was some kind of API out there that would let you auto populate all games based on a certain criteria like certain conferences or teams and take care of adding the scores in at the end of the games. That could incorporate with this addon. 

yeah if there's anything like it, though, I guarantee it costs and is expensive. I was going to make a fantasy sports app and I saw you have to pay very high costs per month to get an automatic feed of stats. I may make a fantasy app for myself, though, and just waste time manually updating stats each day… which would be a pain.

I originally thought about at least putting in some automatic teams in the database, like someone could get a pack that is all nfl teams, it adds them all for you, etc... but then I got to thinking who knows if someone can legally distribute even their names. I know me including logos would be disallowed.

Btw, for the ncaa tournament part I came up with some ways to speed up adding it, at least. In my 3.x apps it took an hour to add a year's ncaa tournament because of so many teams involved, but I bet my new way will take a lot less.

For ncaa football, it would be ncie if I could release something that automatically adds a lot of games, although I'm sure most sites don't pick EEVRY game of the season, though.

45 minutes ago, Midnight Modding said:

yeah if there's anything like it, though, I guarantee it costs and is expensive. I was going to make a fantasy sports app and I saw you have to pay very high costs per month to get an automatic feed of stats. I may make a fantasy app for myself, though, and just waste time manually updating stats each day… which would be a pain.

I originally thought about at least putting in some automatic teams in the database, like someone could get a pack that is all nfl teams, it adds them all for you, etc... but then I got to thinking who knows if someone can legally distribute even their names. I know me including logos would be disallowed.

Btw, for the ncaa tournament part I came up with some ways to speed up adding it, at least. In my 3.x apps it took an hour to add a year's ncaa tournament because of so many teams involved, but I bet my new way will take a lot less.

For ncaa football, it would be ncie if I could release something that automatically adds a lot of games, although I'm sure most sites don't pick EEVRY game of the season, though.

Yeah my site only deals with the Power 5 conferences so it would still be helpful 

• 5 months later...

This is so confusing... I see some games apparently scheduled for ncaa football within the next week? But many others say ppd. So it's a mess knowing if the season is happening and when.

I haven't tested on 4.5 or submitted it for approval for 4.5. If anyone does want to use it starting with whatever those games are next week, you should have this installed while using 4.4. I was planning to release the new version within the next few weeks, but I had already been finishing up new features in it a while back and so I have to finish that too.

If anyone plans to sue it any time during the ncaa season, let me know, where I will have a better idea what to do.

^ or any other season, such as nfl, for that matter...

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, livegames.co.il said:

Hello @Midnight Modding

Love it.

Any plans to compatible the app with 4.5?

Hi. Thanks! Yes, I just had taken a long time off form working on apps this year, but am about ready to update it and there really isn't a ton to do, although they are more strict on approving for 4.5.

The only thing is I had been adding an ncaa tournament (and other sports bracket types) contest type and I got "almost" done when the virus hit and canceled the tourney. So I have to finish and test that before updating this for 4.5, just to be sure I didn't create any bugs.

3 hours ago, Midnight Modding said:

Hi. Thanks! Yes, I just had taken a long time off form working on apps this year, but am about ready to update it and there really isn't a ton to do, although they are more strict on approving for 4.5.

The only thing is I had been adding an ncaa tournament (and other sports bracket types) contest type and I got "almost" done when the virus hit and canceled the tourney. So I have to finish and test that before updating this for 4.5, just to be sure I didn't create any bugs.

Thank you for the quick support. fully understood. 

Any ETA ? @Midnight Modding

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I hadn't been on in here in a while. I don't have a definite time frame on it yet, although could try to get it done by a certain date if someone is really wanting it for certain events. i was thinking you already had the 4.4 version, but apparently you hadn't purchased it before. I am going to try to update this fairly soon, though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 7:53 AM, livegames.co.il said:

I will purchase it immediately if the 4.4 version will work on my 4.5 system 🙂 

@Midnight Modding

All i need from the app is to mark the pool games result and know how many games every voter guesses correctly.

Maybe I should just get it ready with the features it already had, to get it working with 4.5 sooner, then, since you don't need the upcoming features anyway. I already put most of the code in, so I will just have to comment some out and then the changes for 4.5 should be very minor in this app, so I will try to get it ready and approved very soon, (I am not sure how quickly IPS has been able to approve them lately, so I can't say for sure the date it will be on here, but it won't take many days from now for me to get it ready, at least. I mostly just took 2020 off after sporting events kept being postponed. lol).