Calendar time inconsistent

Sonya*

When I create an event then I have to enter time in AM/PM format:

screenshot-localhost-2019_09.01-00-18-14.png.341f3603ee4dba722ddcf5f056412485.png

Right after submission the date is displayed in 24 hours format:

screenshot-localhost-2019_09.01-00-18-50.png.a715a01189259d0c3cfec13707433d5a.png

I would like to have the same format in the submission form and display view. I am not sure why I see AM/PM in the submission form, I do not use this format at all here in Europe.

Another issue with calendar: I see different time for the event in the different browsers. 

• In Google Chrome logged in as administrator I see 13:30 for the event start
  • In Firefox not logged in (viewing as guest) I see 11:30 Uhr for the event start

I have not changed any time settings and this is something weird, as event start should be always the same (and not different for different users).

On 8/31/2019 at 7:21 PM, Sonya* said:

I guess this depends on your browser preferences. It doesn’t show up to me:

BB028B51-0AF7-4F76-942C-54AAE59008AE.thumb.jpeg.da03fd9943af0820c3e344b1f196dcf8.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

Another issue with calendar: I see different time for the event in the different browsers. 

• In Firefox not logged in (viewing as guest) I see 11:30 Uhr for the event start

I have not changed any time settings and this is something weird, as event start should be always the same (and not different for different users).

It probably uses the member timezone to adjust accordingly. 

25 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

It probably uses the member timezone to adjust accordingly. 

This does not make sense. The event is attached to a physical place where it starts at 13:30 (01:30 PM). If IPS adjusts the time then people will arrive at the wrong time. It is usual in the whole world to use local time for events and not the timezone where the user actually is. Beside this I am in Germany and I create an event at the place in Germany so the difference is weird. There should be generally German time for this event, for everyone who looks into calendar. Otherwise it does not make sense. How the user or visitor should now WHAT time is shown in the calendar? :rolleyes: 

Just now, Sonya* said:

This does not make sense. The event is attached to a physical place where it starts at 13:30 (01:30 PM). If IPS adjusts the time then people will arrive at the wrong time.

I didn’t say they do but it does make sense. An event that starts 3PM in your time may start 7PM on my time. That’s why timezones exists. I do remember have to adjust timezone in the countdown added to Calendar Enhancements app.

Again, check your browser settings. Guests doesn’t has timezone (on core_members table) so it is using the browser settings probably. 

Just now, Adriano Faria said:

An event that starts 3PM in your time may start 7PM on my time. 

So my party starts at my place at 3PM, but you will come at 7PM? :biggrin: Well, I know what you mean, it would make sense for the webinars or any virtual events. But in my case there is still the question is, how do my user or visitor knows at what time my party starts? How can I as admin (not the browser) control the displayed time for users or visitors? E. g. I would like them all to be at my place at 3 PM Germany time. I would like to be sure that everyone who visits my site (logged or not) knows the local time at the given place when the party starts.

There seem to be at least four different settings:

• my timezone (I cannot control it)
  • timezone of my browser (if I use a public one I cannot control it as well)
  • locale setting for the IPS
  • date setting in calendar 

I just want to be sure that everyone comes to my place at 3PM local time (despite of his browser or timezone setting). 

Another example: when I book the flight I always see the time in local zone of the start or arrival place. It is never in my timezone, it would be disastrous if so. When I browse events in New York right now from Germany I see the local time in NY for them and not my German time. Despite of my browser settings or anything else.

I know what timezone is. My question is how my visitors know what time they actually see? 

Look, I am in Germany, I have created an event in 13:30 at a place in Germany and I was sure it was right. Some days later I was said that guests see 11:30 (without any notification that this is not a local time). The question is what controls here what. My browser? IPS? Any settings for my users? Any settings for the visitors? Settings of my server? I just would like to have local time at event's place shown to anyone visiting my calendar. Is it possible to achieve?

You've posted a few different things here, so I'll try to address them one by one.

On 8/31/2019 at 6:21 PM, Sonya* said:

[snip]

Right after submission the date is displayed in 24 hours format:

[snip]

I would like to have the same format in the submission form and display view. I am not sure why I see AM/PM in the submission form, I do not use this format at all here in Europe.

The time format used by the form helper (i.e. in your first screenshot) is typically dictated by your browser, and pulls from your computer's locale. We output an HTML element like:

<input type="time" name="x">

While we do have a polyfill (which should respect the date/time format specified by your language pack), browsers that understand a "time" type input element automatically build the helpful parts of the input. The short version is - if you use a browser that understands the "time" HTML input element (which is most browsers these days), we have no control over the format the input asks for the time in; it is dictated by the browser, which pulls from your operating system's configuration.

On 9/1/2019 at 3:31 AM, Sonya* said:

Another issue with inconsistent date display:

screenshot-localhost-2019_09.01-09-30-04.png.163da93abccf440f964a69ca8160f67f.png

This occurs on fresh install 4.4.6 with no customization and default theme.

On the surface, this looks like it could be a bug and I'd recommend submitting a ticket (although I can't say for sure until we take a look).

On 9/2/2019 at 4:44 AM, Sonya* said:

You see the event time based on your time zone (it actually isn't explicitly related to being logged in or logged out). While it is understandable that in this instance your event is tied to a physical location and thus has "one start time, regardless of where you live", that isn't really how the Calendar software works at present. There are really two kinds of events in this case where time is related - events that occur at a specific time in a specific location, and events that occur at a specific time but not in a specific location. If I tell you my birthday party starts at 3PM at my house, then the time is naturally going to be related to the time zone my house is located in. If I tell you the new season of American Idol airs at 7PM tonight, then that time is definitely going to change dependent upon what time zone you are in. Calendar is primarily designed around the latter types of events, but we do have an open internal suggestion to allow ways of better supporting the former type as well in a future release.

5 minutes ago, bfarber said:

If I tell you the new season of American Idol airs at 7PM tonight, then that time is definitely going to change dependent upon what time zone you are in. Calendar is primarily designed around the latter types of events …

Which is surprising, since I would expect the vast majority of events being put on IPS calendars being local events with a local start time. 

3 minutes ago, opentype said:

Which is surprising, since I would expect the vast majority of events being put on IPS calendars being local events with a local start time. 

Location support in calendar (i.e. the ability to add an address) was only actually introduced in the 4.x lineup while Calendar has been around since nearly the beginning of our software. 🙂 

The reality is in my personal experience, more people use this to coordinate online meetups at present (i.e. gaming clans scheduling events, educational sites scheduling webinars, things of that nature). But, I also respect that this is not the only use of the software, and I have been seeing more and more people using Calendar to coordinate IRL events in recent years, which is why the suggestion is open internally.

Great news that the suggestion is possibly percolating.

Our needs as an organization are indeed for events associated with local activities in physical spaces.  Hence much love for the Venue feature, too 🙂 

Totally understand the online meetup scenarios, though.

Archived