📧 Block Disposable E-mails

This is the support / feedback topic for the 📧 Block Disposable E-mail's application.

If you run into any issues or have questions/concerns, let me know here!

Edited by Makoto
the plural form of email is "emails" and not "email's"

Does this app require a Kickbox subscription?  If so kickbox is very pricey (but very good).  Was curious if there was maybe an option for other services (if kickbox sub is required).

What happens when your app finds an existing member who is using a disposable email address?  There is no information on that process.  Does your script require the existing member to change their email?  What happens if they decide not the change their email, can they keep posting or are they restricted until a valid email address is given?

Thanks!

Edited by Bluto
3 hours ago, Bluto said:

What happens when your app finds an existing member who is using a disposable email address?  There is no information on that process.  Does your script require the existing member to change their email?  What happens if they decide not the change their email, can they keep posting or are they restricted until a valid email address is given?

Currently it just logs the member in your AdminCP and allows you to take action if you wish, but adding a feature that can either prompt or force the user to update their e-mail on login (similar to the e-mail validation screen, they won't be able to navigate passed it until they complete the required steps) is something that will be released with the next version!

I just wanted to go ahead and get the basic release which includes logging and blocking registrations out first so I can make sure everything's working smoothly, then add other features such as that. So, I can promise that is a feature that will be added!

1 hour ago, Bluto said:

A little research has led me to find https://open.kickbox.io/ which is a nice free service they offer.  😃 

Yep, that's it! I contacted them about it and made sure it was okay to use and that there aren't any API usage limits to worry about (there aren't). It is indeed an awesome and nice service that they offer.

Indisposable also caches e-mail domains that kickbox returns as disposable addresses, so you only actually need to query them once for the domain, then everything can be checked locally on your server; so it keeps performance in-mind especially for high-traffic websites. 

Thanks for the info!  Right now I use Outdated Emails which works really well.  Helpful when I get bounces back from SES.  I'll buy this in the next couple of days.  I'm getting hammered by disposable emails and bounces.

Last question:  Is there a check on the post before you register form?  How about the contact form email? - I'm actually not too worried about these, just figured I'd ask.

2 minutes ago, Bluto said:

Last question:  Is there a check on the post before you register form?  How about the contact form email? - I'm actually not too worried about these, just figured I'd ask.

Hmm, on the post before you register form, I believe it would use the same e-mail validation method that I'm hooking into, but I will check today and make sure.

Regarding the contact form email, I'll have to look into that as well.

But I'll have this updated to ensure it applies checks to both of those by either hopefully this weekend (if not today) or early next week!

Edited by Makoto
1 minute ago, Gabriel Torres said:

@Makoto Loved the idea of your app. I tried to run the Members > Reindex Members feature to detect and maybe delete users with disposable email addresses, but got the following error message:

Ah, sorry about that! It looks like the marketplace upload somehow ended up one-build behind. I fixed that issue already, let me go ahead and rebuild and update the marketplace listing with the fix for you.

1 hour ago, Makoto said:

force the user to update their e-mail on login (similar to the e-mail validation screen, they won't be able to navigate passed it until they complete the required steps) is something that will be released with the next version!

To support your next version, purchased current one 🙂

PS You helped me in past anyways, so some support from me. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Makoto said:

Thank you! ヽ(・∀・)ノ

One small suggestion - Possible to add Post count - in list of "Members with disposable e-mails" so i can I multi-select or option to auto select all members with zero post + disposable emails - and delete all, in one shot. 

Awesome app. Going to purchase it right now as will help us get our communities cleaner.

Just wondering..does have the functionality to move the members that already use a disposable email to a new group or at least remove them from receiving our newsletters? Would help

I ran the initial re-index and received some errors:

1.  Malformed kickbox validation response error (got about 4 pages of these errors)

Malformed kickbox validation response: null
#0 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/applications/indisposable/sources/Validator/Validator.php(51): IPS\_Log::log('Malformed kickb...')
#1 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/applications/indisposable/modules/admin/indisposable/members.php(326): IPS\indisposable\_Validator->isDisposable('')
#2 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/system/Helpers/MultipleRedirect/MultipleRedirect.php(92): IPS\indisposable\modules\admin\indisposable\_members->IPS\indisposable\modules\admin\indisposable\{closure}(81250)
#3 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/applications/indisposable/modules/admin/indisposable/members.php(344): IPS\Helpers\_MultipleRedirect->__construct(Object(IPS\Http\Url\Internal), Object(Closure), Object(Closure))
#4 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(85): IPS\indisposable\modules\admin\indisposable\_members->reindex()
#5 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/applications/indisposable/modules/admin/indisposable/members.php(29): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#6 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(152): IPS\indisposable\modules\admin\indisposable\_members->execute()
#7 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/admin_folder/index.php(14): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#8 {main}

2.  Resolve host (only 1 error)

Could not resolve host: open.kickbox.com
#0 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/system/Http/Request/Curl.php(415): IPS\Http\Request\_Curl->_execute()
#1 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/system/Http/Request/Curl.php(291): IPS\Http\Request\_Curl->_executeAndFollowRedirects('GET', NULL)
#2 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/applications/indisposable/sources/Validator/Validator.php(47): IPS\Http\Request\_Curl->get()
#3 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/applications/indisposable/modules/admin/indisposable/members.php(326): IPS\indisposable\_Validator->isDisposable('ctm@droidnote.e...')
#4 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/system/Helpers/MultipleRedirect/MultipleRedirect.php(92): IPS\indisposable\modules\admin\indisposable\_members->IPS\indisposable\modules\admin\indisposable\{closure}(12250)
#5 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/applications/indisposable/modules/admin/indisposable/members.php(344): IPS\Helpers\_MultipleRedirect->__construct(Object(IPS\Http\Url\Internal), Object(Closure), Object(Closure))
#6 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(85): IPS\indisposable\modules\admin\indisposable\_members->reindex()
#7 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/applications/indisposable/modules/admin/indisposable/members.php(29): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#8 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(152): IPS\indisposable\modules\admin\indisposable\_members->execute()
#9 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/admin_folder/index.php(14): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#10 {main}

Nothing happened which stopped the script, etc.  Everything seems to be working fine... just noticed the errors in the system logs and wanted to let you know.

The above was a scan of about 100K members.

Edited by Bluto
2 hours ago, Bluto said:

I ran the initial re-index and received some errors:

[...]

The above was a scan of about 100K members.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing on my initial run on a database of ~100k members. It's not an issue, just means Kickbox didn't return a response for some queries.

I believe it's due to some soft rate limiting on Kickboxes end. I'm going to message them and see if I can find a reasonable rate to limit the rebuild script so it doesn't happen.

If you'd like, you can run the reindex script again (it's safe to do so), this won't clear your cached disposable e-mail domains (which are stored permanently, since a disposable e-mail domain will always remain invalid) so it will be faster to run the second time and might catch some members the first run missed as a result of those errors.

I'm also going to investigate ways in which I can improve the performance of the reindex script in future builds so it doesn't take so long to run.

5 hours ago, MediaDIGI.com said:

Awesome app. Going to purchase it right now as will help us get our communities cleaner.

Just wondering..does have the functionality to move the members that already use a disposable email to a new group or at least remove them from receiving our newsletters? Would help

No functionality to move members marked as disposable to a new group yet, however filtering disposable e-mails from newsletters is a feature that will be added to the next version!
https://dev.taiga.sh/ips/Indisposable/issues/2

A new version has been released!

This release implements both features you requested @MediaDIGI.com,

https://dev.taiga.sh/ips/Indisposable/wikis/Moving-members-with-Disposable-E-Mails-to-a-custom-Group
https://dev.taiga.sh/ips/Indisposable/wikis/Excluding-disposable-e-mails-from-Bulk-Emails

@Bluto,

E-mails were already validated on the post-before-registration field, but not on the contact us e-mail field. I've updated the application to reject disposable e-mails there too in this release.

@Gabriel Torres,

The rebuild process is now a background task! (No more having to sit and wait for that long progress bar to finish)

@Makoto The amount of spammers your app blocked is amazing. Since we've installed the app, your logs show 6 pages of domains people tried to use. Logging more details could be helpful if we want to add rules to our firewall to block these spammers without taking up server resources. E.g., I wonder if these fake accounts were coming from the same IP address or range...

Logged the above request here:
https://dev.taiga.sh/ips/Indisposable/issues/6

I'll also be implementing support for requesting/requiring members change their e-mail if they're using a disposable address in 1.2.0,
https://dev.taiga.sh/ips/Indisposable/issues/1

I plan to hopefully have this out by next week, but if you have any other ideas or run into any issues before then, be sure to let me know and I'll see if I can work them in to the release schedule!
https://dev.taiga.sh/ips/Indisposable/milestones/2