(NE) New member awareness

Forum plugin which allows you to bring awareness to new members and then display a message to other members

• criteria used is member group and content count
  • message is configurable as follows:
    • message can be displayed within the post content, either above or below that content.
    • or message can be displayed above or below the post container itself
    • message uses rich-text editor, so can contain links etc. if you wish
    • message can be enclosed within an 'ipsmessage' box if you wish, with further personal customisation possible via the .neNewMemberIpsMessage theme template
    • or you can style the message's container yourself using the rich-text editor and/or the provided neNewMemberNonIpsMessage theme template
  • message is not displayed to Guests, nor is it displayed to the author of a post if that author meets the criteria put in place

Plugin made based on this request

Edited by Nathan Explosion
  • 3 weeks later...

What's new in v1.1.0

• Addition of a 'topic message' function to allow you to show a general message before or after the topic instead of/as well as showing a message inline with a user's posts within the topic.
  • Ability to limit the display of the posts message to only have it displayed for the first post by a user on each topic page, instead of displaying inline with every post by that user.
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/7/2020 at 10:53 PM, James101 said:

Hey @Nathan Explosion -

Thank you for making this. It works perfectly fine. I wanted to ask if its possible to Align the IPS message box icon and the new awareness sentence - http://prntscr.com/rv0lrz

As the content added to the IPS message box is from an Editor, it's likely got the <p> </p> tags around the content. I'll look into that for you...see about stripping those out of the content

On 4/9/2020 at 1:16 PM, Unlucky said:

Hi,

Can you select which forums this is displayed in?

I don't believe I added in an option for this - I'll take a look, and will add it in if it isn't there already.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:53 PM, James101 said:

Hey @Nathan Explosion -

Thank you for making this. It works perfectly fine. I wanted to ask if its possible to Align the IPS message box icon and the new awareness sentence - http://prntscr.com/rv0lrz

@James101 for the moment, add the following to your custom.css in your theme:

.neNewMemberIpsMessage p:first-of-type{
  margin:0;
}

I'll be adding that as commented out entry in the nenewmember.css file for the plugin when I release a new version - it can then be removed from custom.css and edited in the nenewmember.css file instead.

image.png.2a7678aa7a6049f32b274664b6fef83f.png

What's new in v1.1.1

1. addition of a css tweak to bring first paragraph in line with icon in the ipsMessage box
    • to use this tweak, edit the nenewmember.css file and remove the /* and */ around the following item:
    • /*.neNewMemberIpsMessage p:first-of-type{
        margin:0;
      }*/

2. added option to configure in which forums the message is displayed
  • 2 months later...

I disable it now.

I wish it only apply to the OP of the first post, not to every replies he did in that thread, as well, let say he/she pass the requirement regarding the post count, then it all disappear, was hoping it stay, for other to see it, maybe I did not fully understand this plugin.

Sorry to @James101 for delay in getting the issue resolved - got a work callout on Saturday evening, had to go to a "dark site" customer and been off the grid as a result (don't be an IT consultant, people!!)

What's fixed in v1.1.3?

1. Modifications to support some new Post/Postcontainer template structures in IPS 4.5
  2. Fixed issue with the 'Topic message' settings not resulting in a display of the message in IPS 4.4 and IPS 4.5

This update is currently pending IPS approval at this time I'll be submitting a newer version of this one, following review by IPS.

On 9/20/2020 at 3:01 PM, abobader said:

I see what this plugin suppose to do, it meant for others not for the thread OP to see, I do not need this in my forum, as I thought it new thread rules for new user.

Either way it good plugin for whom need it.

Yes, this is a plugin to display an awareness message to other users, and not the poster themselves.

• 2 weeks later...