Subscriptions: Show in Registration form

Tom S.

Subscription plans are missing the following setting that store products have:

show_form.thumb.png.f282b39b128679e817f96adecbf74e4a.png

I would say that this setting is very relevant for subscriptions as you want to offer members the opportunity to buy a subscription plan as they register.

This would allow us to keep the "Force Subscription purchase when registering?" setting to off. We just need members to be given the option.

Thank you.

13 hours ago, Tom S. said:

Subscription plans are missing the following setting that store products have:

show_form.thumb.png.f282b39b128679e817f96adecbf74e4a.png

I would say that this setting is very relevant for subscriptions as you want to offer members the opportunity to buy a subscription plan as they register.

This would allow us to keep the "Force Subscription purchase when registering?" setting to off. We just need members to be given the option.

Thank you.

So what actually happens when they register? They don;t need to pick a subscription?

9 hours ago, asigno said:

Check out https://yamahaclub.com/forums/subscriptions/?register=1 you can have subscriptions compulsory but the problem is you can't have a free registration process. To get around this I setup a $0 value subscription, but the issue is the user has to go through unnecessary cart pages for a $0 product.

Do you get a lot of paid subscriptions? I do this same thing with a free membership using products on one of my sites. They have to go through the free checkout process.

Check out https://yamahaclub.com/forums/subscriptions/?register=1 you can have subscriptions compulsory but the problem is you can't have a free registration process. To get around this I setup a $0 value subscription, but the issue is the user has to go through unnecessary cart pages for a $0 product.

Yes, this solution is quite horrible. Offering a $0 plan to get around the "Force Subscription purchase when registering?" is not a viable option. As you've already pointed out:

the user has to go through unnecessary cart pages

Signing up for a free product and getting asked to fill in billing information? What the hell....

4 minutes ago, AlexWebsites said:

So what actually happens when they register? They don;t need to pick a subscription?

Exactly. They are shown the subscription plan options or the option to register without buying one. So something like this:

registration_form.thumb.png.ed27b8cb6f368b41195b5489f798ef90.png

Which is what you can currently do with normal products.

The product subscription functionality is superior, but the store templates are really clunky for the product subscriptions.

The standalone subscriptions functionality has a much nicer layout and is better for conversions for paid subscriptions, but it did impact the number of free conversions.

There are many posts on feature requests for the new subscriptions feature, at a minimum it should have the same functions from product.

Yes, the only reason why I don't have Subscription at the registration form is due to the absence of an option to bypass a purchase. Also, and very important as mentioned in another thread, the personal/address details should be optional.

• 2 weeks later...

So this is something I constantly have issues with in 3.4.9 - for my forum, subscriptions are required, but people register (which puts them into a Validating group) and sometimes don't read and follow through to purchase a subscription and complete their registration. As a result I get frustrated members wondering why they can't post, etc. and I have to point them to the Client Area to purchase a subscription.

If 4.3.x forces them to checkout before their account is established, I'll be ecstatic when I upgrade - and if that's the case, is probably why IPS changed it for 4.3.x due to my scenario above.

3 hours ago, Joy Rex said:

So this is something I constantly have issues with in 3.4.9 - for my forum, subscriptions are required, but people register (which puts them into a Validating group) and sometimes don't read and follow through to purchase a subscription and complete their registration. As a result I get frustrated members wondering why they can't post, etc. and I have to point them to the Client Area to purchase a subscription.

If 4.3.x forces them to checkout before their account is established, I'll be ecstatic when I upgrade - and if that's the case, is probably why IPS changed it for 4.3.x due to my scenario above.

I can see having both options would be the best solution, some of us do not want the required purchase, but would rather convert to the subscriptions vs products, while in your case the requirement is perfect.

• 7 months later...
On 7/23/2018 at 5:36 AM, Tom S. said:

Yes, this solution is quite horrible. Offering a $0 plan to get around the "Force Subscription purchase when registering?" is not a viable option. As you've already pointed out:

Signing up for a free product and getting asked to fill in billing information? What the hell....

Exactly. They are shown the subscription plan options or the option to register without buying one. So something like this:

registration_form.thumb.png.ed27b8cb6f368b41195b5489f798ef90.png

Which is what you can currently do with normal products.

x2.

We are migrating our community to IPS now and were trying to decide between the newer Subscription Plans feature versus using Store products for the same purpose. The store products route has some issues and we prefer the simplicity of Subscription Plans - BUT - not being able to offer a free Subscription that takes the user to the quick-registration form is a deal killer!

Archived