Hide Sidebar?

One of the questions I've been asked regarding the user interface for our newly-upgraded v4 platform is whether users can hide the side bar. Apparently at least one of our users used to do this with v3, but as far as I can tell, it's not possible with v4 (except globally). I thought I'd check here for a definitive answer, however!

Kev

So this can't be done natively from within the application itself? I have a number of users requesting this feature, and an equal number of users wanting to keep the sidebar visible. A user preference is the obvious answer, and it used to be possible in earlier versions. I'm averse to plugins and extensions, so prefer not to use them unless I'm really desperate.

Kev

1 hour ago, Large Scale Planes said:

So this can't be done natively from within the application itself? I have a number of users requesting this feature, and an equal number of users wanting to keep the sidebar visible. A user preference is the obvious answer, and it used to be possible in earlier versions. I'm averse to plugins and extensions, so prefer not to use them unless I'm really desperate. 

Kev

Create a theme copy of your theme
In the copy theme, remove two sidebar loading codes in global template

{template="sidebar" if="theme.sidebar_position == 'left'" app="core" group="global" params="'left'"}

and

{template="sidebar" if="theme.sidebar_position == 'right'" app="core" group="global" params="'right'"}

A user who wants a no-sidebar uses a copy of a theme, he wants with a sidebar uses a basic theme.

Just now, Large Scale Planes said:

That's fine, but my point is, some members want it, and some don't, so I'm trying to find a way to cater for both - just like we used to be able to do.

Kev

Ok, I misunderstood, there isn't a user option, this is normally something the admins set as they want it, users adapt etc. We don't have the ability to hide this per user I'm afraid at this time. 

2 minutes ago, Rhett said:

Ok, I misunderstood, there isn't a user option, this is normally something the admins set as they want it, users adapt etc. We don't have the ability to hide this per user I'm afraid at this time.

Thanks, Rhett. If you have anywhere that I can formally submit that as a feature request/suggestion, I'll do so when I get a moment.

Kev

11 hours ago, Adlago said:

Create a theme copy of your theme
In the copy theme, remove two sidebar loading codes in global template

{template="sidebar" if="theme.sidebar_position == 'left'" app="core" group="global" params="'left'"}

and

{template="sidebar" if="theme.sidebar_position == 'right'" app="core" group="global" params="'right'"}

A user who wants a no-sidebar uses a copy of a theme, he wants with a sidebar uses a basic theme.

Thank You ! 

Archived