(NE) oembedServices management

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Chris Anderson said:

What features would be included in a 4.6 version that 4.6 doesn't provide natively?

Whatever the existing version provides, plus whatever I have mentioned as potentially being added previously. I haven't had time to look at 4.6 and it's oembed capabilities to answer your question, outside of the above.

What is the reason for the question? Is there a feature you are requesting?

Edited by Nathan Explosion
13 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

What is the reason for the question?

I was "hoping" that all of your app's  functionality had been natively included by IPS and as such this app was being retired.  Alas, it doesn't sound like that happened, oh well...  Looking forward to your releasing a 4.6 version. 

• 4 weeks later...

v2.0.0 has been submitted to the Marketplace for approval.

• CHANGES
    • The old plugin is now a new application, supported on IPS 4.5 & 4.6 only (old plugin still supported on IPS 4.4)
    • Group permissions are now configured via the 'oembed' tab when editing a member group, and no longer via the Settings page.
    • Management of custom endpoints is now done from it's own page, and no longer via the Settings page.
  • NEW
    • Iframely is now integrated, allowing a 'catch-all' for URLs not covered by an oembed endpoint provided by the target site itself
      • This allows you to provide rich-embeds for a lot more items (see next post for some examples)
      • Requires an API key, and a plan on iframely to cover your site.
      • Once enabled, the ability to use the integration can be applied on a group basis.
  • Links from captivate.fm can be processed and 'pseudo-embeded' by being displayed in an iframe (captivate.fm doesn't have an oembed endpoint)
    • The ability to use this can be applied on a group basis.
  • 7 months later...

Nothing to do with 4.6.11 - the setting wouldn't have been working in any IPS versions if a group was edited after installation of v2.0.0 of the application.

v2.0.1 has been submitted for approval

• FIXES
    • Fixed issue with 'Embed internal links?' setting not saving when editing a group, defaulting back to disabled and causing internal embedding to be disabled for that group
  • CHANGES
    • None
  • NEW
    • None

No worries - if you have FTP access, you can fix it quickly as follows:

• Edit applications\neappoembedmanager\extensions\core\GroupForm\NeappOembedManager.php
  • Find the following:
$myData['oe_captivate'] = $values['neapp_oembedmanager_captivate'];
  • Add the following after it:
$myData['oe_allow_internal'] = $values['neapp_oembedmanager_allow_internal'];
  • Save the file

You will then be able to edit your groups and set the relevant setting correctly.

32 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

No worries - if you have FTP access, you can fix it quickly as follows:

• Edit applications\neappoembedmanager\extensions\core\GroupForm\NeappOembedManager.php
  • Find the following:
$myData['oe_captivate'] = $values['neapp_oembedmanager_captivate'];
  • Add the following after it:
$myData['oe_allow_internal'] = $values['neapp_oembedmanager_allow_internal'];
  • Save the file

You will then be able to edit your groups and set the relevant setting correctly.

That worked. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2018 at 12:21 PM, Nathan Explosion said:

What's new in v1.0.3

• added setting to allow conversion of new www.youtube.com embeds to www.youtube-nocookie.com embeds

image.thumb.png.97e670757dff8020faff90e5a053178f.png

v2.0.2 is pending approval

• CHANGES
    • Removed the Youtube "Enable privacy-enhanced mode?" setting for sites using IPS Community Suite 4.6.12 or later, as feature now provided natively as of that release.
  • NEW
    • None
  • FIXES
    • None

Reference:

YouTube embeds will now load from the youtube-nocookie.com domain. 

On 8/4/2021 at 9:50 AM, Nathan Explosion said:

Links from captivate.fm can be processed and 'pseudo-embeded' by being displayed in an iframe (captivate.fm doesn't have an oembed endpoint)

• The ability to use this can be applied on a group basis.

Quick question.. after I enabled iframely integration, it seems captivate.fm takes longer to embed. Is it possible it now runs through iframely? I did see the captivate urls in iframely. Just curious if it checks that first before hitting the iframely API. If you have iframley API enabled, is captivate and anything else built in, endpoints, etc., checked first? Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Chris Anderson said:

it would be ideal to provide functionality throughout your app that minimizes the need to use their service wherever you can easily do so.

And how would you suggest that would be done? If you are referring to capturing and caching the content, then please say so, and I will look into whether it can be done (my recollection is that it can't) - in other words, provide how you think a new feature would work.

9 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

provide how you think a new feature would work.

I'm simply encouraging you not to become "too" Iframely centric in the years ahead.  If a new embed request comes your way you might ask yourself if you could make it work without resorting to Iframely.  Just a couple instances here and there could noticably reduce one's Iframely bill. The less we spend with them the more we have to contribute to your beer fund ☺️

12 minutes ago, Chris Anderson said:

If a new embed request comes your way you might ask yourself

If someone wants to ask for an addition to the application, then I'll actually ask myself "can I make this work like I did with the captivate.fm feature".

It's up to you guys to ask for these things...so, start the ball rolling next time you look at your iframely bill and spot a site that might be able to be embedded differently (and t doesn't already have its own oembed endpoint which you could add), and see what I can come up with.

I have to allocate some time to learn how to add custom endpoints and as long as custom endpoints get checked before the iframely API, iframely would really just be a catch-all that hasn’t been added via custom endpoints.

Iframely hits are max 24 per day on the same url. 

image.png.236b67d888c2aea2d20c7e8bd9894c45.png

Edited by AlexWebsites
On 3/17/2022 at 11:44 AM, AlexWebsites said:

iframely is pretty cool!  is it possible to default the embed settings to a small card? When you test a url in iframely, you have the option to output a small card embed code.

image.png.fb6521a6da6d1889cfd87444fe7b08d4.png

You can control this yourself - login to your iframely account and go to settings @ https://iframely.com/settings/cards

Enable the "Always show compact/small card" setting, and whatever else you want in there.

No modification of the application required from me.

12 minutes ago, AlexWebsites said:

Iframely hits are max 24 per day on the same url. 

image.png.236b67d888c2aea2d20c7e8bd9894c45.png

Had a feeling that was the case - so that concern from earlier is alleviated by the fact that iframely cache already for you. Thanks for posting it.

My advice to anyone who is enabling the iframely integration - monitor your usage, check the urls used, search gooogle to see if any of the target sites actually provide their own oembed endpoint, and then add it to the application using the functionality that this application has always provided.