Notification to the review author

Adriano Faria

• Management

What's the use case, if I might ask? That new feature is intended to allow an author to provide "their side" - if you will; a one-off comment or rebuttal. It's not meant to engage or encourage a dialogue. 

If you've responded to a review and wish to engage the author of the review, it's likely best to contact that author directly, outside of the reviews system.

2 hours ago, Lindy said:

What's the use case, if I might ask? That new feature is intended to allow an author to provide "their side" - if you will; a one-off comment or rebuttal. It's not meant to engage or encourage a dialogue. 

If you've responded to a review and wish to engage the author of the review, it's likely best to contact that author directly, outside of the reviews system.

What if the reviewer wants to engage the submitter in PM after his comment on the review?

4 hours ago, Lindy said:

Use case?

As the item submitter: I respond to the review submitter to reply in the support topic so I got the chance to revert the bad rating, for example.

As the review submitter: basically to know that I was responded and take the right action.

Otherwise, it will be a lost information in the limbo.

In that case, a setting to turn it off would be appreciated. 

34 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Otherwise, it will be a lost information in the limbo.

I will show another use case but in a different feature, already requested by me before, and not implemented so far:

Same happens when someone posts a new reply and got their posts merged (comments, posts and messages). It’s a lost information as the item author have absolutely no idea that there was a new post. I need to go back to the item. 

Example: I requested ACP access to a client here due to a specific issue in one resource. He replied saying that couldn’t provide quickly because he was in his job, etc. It happens that he remembered the credentials and replied back to the message in less that five minutes. One week later, he replied back demanding a refund because I didn’t support the resource. So I explained I wasn’t notified of new message and did the same of him. 

^That is what I want to avoid. Of course, different features but will end up in the same place: a lost information. 

Huh? I'm kind of confused by IPS' lind of reasoning.  It has nothing to do with engagement or dialogue.  A notification is used when there's an action on an item I care about so it notifies me.  

As a client who bought an item  from the MP, if I'm taking the time to write a review on a marketplace file (good or bad), and the author responds, I would absolutely want to be notified.  It's an update on my contact item.  

I can see it both ways depending on two types of replies:

• The reply is exclusively directed at the audience. I might think the review was unjustified and I might want to set the record straight for other potential customers. In that case, I wouldn’t want the reviewer to get a notification. That could even cause more trouble. 
  • The reply is both directed at the audience and the reviewer. As we all know, people will use the review for support issues, so if I can leave a helpful review reply, the reviewer might get things working again and might be willing to even change a bad review to a good one. In that case, a notification might be crucial. 

If I'm reading this correctly, the request is so that the review submitter be notified when the author responds to their review. 

For example, someone leaves a bad review, maybe related to poor support, you respond and give 'your side, with information on how to obtain support', how does said review submitter know the author has responded to their negative review? How do they know about alternate avenues to get support? 

The most analogous situation I see here is an active IPS client submits a topic on these forums for official IPS support (Marketplace Review), someone generally has to respond to them to let them know to use their client area instead (Author Reply to said Review).  But without a notification that someone replied to their topic (Review), how would they know to use their client area (Author Reply)?

• 6 months later...

Archived