3.4.9 to 4.2.3 Upgrade Issues

jackflash

Upgraded from 3.4.9 to 4.2.3 and am having two issues:

1. We're experiencing the system logging out people

2. When users sign in, via the link on the upper right part of the page, the login fails and they are taken to the secondary login page with their user name and password filled out and that login page works.

Ideas on why this is happening and how to solve?

1. Please ensure that your server is not caching any sessions, this is the most common cause of seeing someone logged out or logged in as another user.

2. Sounds like users might be attempting to login with their Display Name/username from v3 when one of these were merged to for the Display Name (this was an option based upon upgrade). Please ensure they are logging in with the appropriate Display Name or Username based on what you choose during upgrade.

Also, make sure that login sessions have enough of a time limit to keep users logged in. Have you also tried re-caching your forums to see if maybe that fixes the problem? I would try recaching your forums inside the IPS ACP and also go into your site's login and repair your database files. Sometimes either or both will fix the problem.

On 9/10/2017 at 8:10 PM, Jim M said:

1. Please ensure that your server is not caching any sessions, this is the most common cause of seeing someone logged out or logged in as another user.

2. Sounds like users might be attempting to login with their Display Name/username from v3 when one of these were merged to for the Display Name (this was an option based upon upgrade). Please ensure they are logging in with the appropriate Display Name or Username based on what you choose during upgrade.

How can I see what they chose during the upgrade?  We never used display names.

On 9/10/2017 at 8:31 PM, Rheddy said:

Also, make sure that login sessions have enough of a time limit to keep users logged in. Have you also tried re-caching your forums to see if maybe that fixes the problem? I would try recaching your forums inside the IPS ACP and also go into your site's login and repair your database files. Sometimes either or both will fix the problem.

I did the re-cache.  How to I repair the database files in 4.2?  I know where they are in 3.4. . .

THANKS FOR the help!

Repairing the database is done through your site's login control panel. If your site is hosted on a Linux or Unix server, then you're using cPanel. There's also a login method for Windows servers. You repair the database by accessing the Backups or Databases stored on your website account. This, to my knowledge, cannot be done through the IPS ACP.

3 minutes ago, Rheddy said:

Repairing the database is done through your site's login control panel. If your site is hosted on a Linux or Unix server, then you're using cPanel. There's also a login method for Windows servers. You repair the database by accessing the Backups or Databases stored on your website account. This, to my knowledge, cannot be done through the IPS ACP.

Gotcha - 3.4.9 had an array of tools for repairing the site's database directly through the admin.

34 minutes ago, steve00 said:

They did not choose ... whoever done the upgrade chose what option they wanted to use for their members

Correct. I mean the person who upgraded the forum.  They might chosen "Display Name" based on the login screen shot below.  We've never used display names though.  How can I correct this?

59b97e96db6ca_ScreenShot2017-09-13at2_51_10PM.png.0d73104b30eff39d20c5a55c7657d564.png

31 minutes ago, Rheddy said:

if I'm not mistake, it's:

System > Login Handler > Standard > Authentication

You can try that and see if it works. I'm pretty sure that's the setting. That's also why I don't allow any other staff member to alter the settings of my community.

I was there earlier, however, there isn't an option for user name, only display name. @Jim M - how can I fix this? 

59b98c3404922_ScreenShot2017-09-13at3_50_15PM.png.412d36ff856c6c7e3ea6f97c02459ee9.png

@jackflash, Display Name IS Username. LOLS. With the 4.x series, IPS removed the ability for administrators to use username and display names. One of the biggest mistakes I always thought they made because it now makes it easier for hackers to compromise IPS-related communities. If someone were despicable enough, they could target every administrator, moderator, super moderator and forum staff member and just continuously try to access your accounts, locking your accounts in the process.

This is why I have always thought that IPS made a mistake removing both from the system.

Archived