blog and gallery

bearback

3 minutes ago, bearback said:

thanks for your prompt reply

That's not good. it would be nice to see them working with the current version before I even consider upgrading.

You can request a demo.  

You should consider upgrading, as v3 will be EOL this year and will no longer be supported.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SGAprilShowers said:

Our gallery is the biggest draw for our forum, I would like to see it in use before we take the time to set it up. We've lost functionality of the gallery with every upgrade so far, I'm just wondering what else we'll lose when we plunge in to v4.

So is mine.  How many images does your gallery have? 

You can request a demo of the full suite, which will show you the gallery.  It's a modern upgrade from v3 and there are some new features.

40 minutes ago, Joel R said:

So is mine.  How many images does your gallery have? 

You can request a demo of the full suite, which will show you the gallery.  It's a modern upgrade from v3 and there are some new features.

We currently have 99,335 images and that is after a whole lot of clean-up in the galleries. What are your favorite new features? Does it display the same way? We have a lot of older members who are not exactly computer savvy, so we have to write tutorials for just about everything that changes when we upgrade.

7 minutes ago, SGAprilShowers said:

We currently have 99,335 images and that is after a whole lot of clean-up in the galleries. What are your favorite new features? Does it display the same way? We have a lot of older members who are not exactly computer savvy, so we have to write tutorials for just about everything that changes when we upgrade.

Best new feature is the same best feature of the entire suite: responsive design.  Mobile takes up fifty percent of my traffic and the gallery displays well across all sizes of devices.  Second best new feature is the Amazon S3 integration, so I can offshore my photo storage to Amazon and not use up my server.   There's also the Masonry style layout in categories and albums (think Flickr) which is nice and modern.    

You can tell the v4 Gallery is the spiritual successor to v3's IP.Gallery.  The index page is the same, the categories look a little different, album pages look a little different but it's not bad - just different.  They have some nice new features on the image page like tagging a note (think tagging a headshot), rotate, EXIF info, etc.  There is an upload wizard that steps through the upload process.  

There's been a lot of improvement feedback for Gallery over the last 2 years but sadly it all seems to have stalled on the dev side. Joel has provided some great feedback himself when IPS have asked.

I think the main consideration for a lot of people is the restrictive sort options that prevent you from displaying photos in chronological order (if you upload photos of say a carnival parade, you see the end of the parade first, and the start last which ruins it), the confusing image navigation for casual visitors not used to the software and the lack of an option to bulk import from your own server. These were the main options I particularly miss from the older Gallery versions. 

Not having these apps demonstrated here is truly bizarre (if you want to sell website software, you have to demo it without making people register surely), but I think because there was so much junk uploaded into them by the community to test their functionality, the content didn't really show the products in a good or sensible light. I don't think there is a good solution for that for IPS, unless they just imported some good license-free demo content themselves from sites such as Flickr, Youtube etc.

I would agree upgrading to v4 is the best thing to do and inevitable so bite the bullet, but accept IPS 4.x is a resource hog compared to IPB that's getting better all the time, and that you may lose some functionality as a result if you can't find mods to replace it or join the wait to see such features possible restored or improved.

I can't imagine going back to v3 now. 

Archived