Changing the domain

Elena-Viorica

So, I'm actually considering about re-branding my community and changing the domain name. I have never done this before, so I'm absolutely clueless in regards to what I have to do. Other than moving the full backup to a new server and changing the name servers, what files have to be edited for everything to work fine?

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2016 at 9:23 PM, MADMAN32395 said:

If it's just changing the domain, as long as you don't have to move servers (don't see why ya should if it's just a name change). Just edit your domain in the conf_global.php and change your URL on your client area here. 

What if I have to move servers?

7 minutes ago, Elena-Viorica said:

What if I have to move servers?

It’s not much different than installing a backup. You copy all the files over via FTP, make a MySQL dump and install that on the new server. Then you change the conf_global settings to use the new domain, clear the cache and the new site is up and running. Do a couple of trial runs though to make sure everything is working. Character encoding issues are common for example. 

You should also make sure the old site is forwarding all traffic to the new domain after the switch, so old links keep on working and search engines don’t start indexing from scratch, but instead understand that your content has just moved. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2016 at 5:30 PM, opentype said:

It’s not much different than installing a backup. You copy all the files over via FTP, make a MySQL dump and install that on the new server. Then you change the conf_global settings to use the new domain, clear the cache and the new site is up and running.

I just had my hosting company move my forum to a new server and a new domain. I changed the url in conf_global, cleared the cache, and reset the license in my IPS account. Now, it is currently showing me this:

te.jpg

If I click "Continue to this webpage, I can access the site and I can login into the ACP.

Before I enter the license key into my ACP, how do I fix this issue?

22 minutes ago, opentype said:

You need to talk to your host about that. As it says, something is wrong with the SSL certificate. 

They told me: " To overcome this issue, please purchase a SSL certificate from a 3rd party SSL provider. "

I bought the domain from namecheap. Where do I buy a SSL certificate from?

On 11/26/2016 at 3:58 PM, Nathan Explosion said:

The same place you got your previous SSL cert from?

I never got one? I don't even know what one is. My domains have worked fine for the past 3 years since I've been running forums, although I have never used NameCheap until now. A website is made out of a hosting server, a domain and a script. What the heck is a SSL?

It turns out that the issue could be fixed by turning off the ssl support in the conf_global.php file.

Archived