IPS license nag screen

FZ

Today there is a red nag on the top of my screen telling me I must upgrade to the latest version of the software suite. My license is not current, so in the past where this screen has appeared I have been able to dismiss it and carry on. Now I can't do that. Why? 

If I am honest I don't like the direction this software is going and I don't like the attitude of the support behind it either. Are we now being held to ransom by IPS? If you don't upgrade we will place an immovable red block at the top of your login until you pay us a licence renewal. Is this the way it works now? 

Upgrading to 4.x from 3.4 was the worst thing I have ever done as a forum owner in 10 years. This new software blows chunks and I would much prefer to go back to the old version. :( 

51 minutes ago, FZ said:

Exactly, so if you don't want to renew your license you're now stuck with the red reminder at the top of the screen until you pay them the license renewal. Total BS. 

But as you are Client then can assume your license is active .... unless am wrong ?

2 minutes ago, steve00 said:

But as you are Client then can assume your license is active .... unless am wrong ?

No, not necessarily so. In 3.4 renewal of the license was optional (if you wanted to make use of the anti-spam service - which I don't need - or obtain product support if anything went wrong - which it seldom did). I was going to renew my licenses for all modules anyway, but now I am annoyed by this latest behaviour. I am not an ATM for software developers. :angry:

You are annoyed that you are informed about a critical security patch, which if not installed could potentially lead to a hack of your community, deleted data, stolen accounts and so on?

But anyway. I would suggest to try the search function here in the forums. These upgrade notifications have been discussed and explained so many times. We don’t need to start this over and over again every time an admin discovers it for the first time. 

31 minutes ago, FZ said:

It should be my decision whether to update and how to update.

And it still is. It’s not like your site is taken down or anything. You just receive an admin-only front-end notification about crucial upgrades. 

IPS is now becoming ransomware, in my opinion.

That’s not an opinion. It’s just a wrong statement. You aren’t attacked by someone encrypting your files. The word ransomware is not applicable here at all. 

32 minutes ago, opentype said:

And it still is. It’s not like your site is taken down or anything. You just receive an admin-only front-end notification about crucial upgrades. 

That’s not an opinion. It’s just a wrong statement. You aren’t attacked by someone encrypting your files. The word ransomware is not applicable here at all. 

I have to pay IPS to obtain the security updates and remove the giant offending reminder on my screen. I'd call that being held to ransom, but then I understand the liberal interpretation of words differs somewhat from mine. 

8 hours ago, FZ said:

It should be my decision whether to update and how to update.

Would you be comfortable telling that to your members? I'm sure they'd be concerned if their information was at risk and your response was "I'll only update if I want to".

Ignoring the grey bug message is fine, but there's a reason that the security update message is red and can't be dismissed.

4 hours ago, ehren. said:

Would you be comfortable telling that to your members? I'm sure they'd be concerned if their information was at risk and your response was "I'll only update if I want to".

Ignoring the grey bug message is fine, but there's a reason that the security update message is red and can't be dismissed.

Actually I am very comfortable with that because I run a community of adults, not a schoolyard full of delinquent children. I have been doing this for 10 years, not 2 or 3. In that time I have not had any reason to be constantly reminded about security patches by the provider of software for my system, even before I moved over to IP.board. 

My objection here is NOT to the fact that there is a security patch that has to be installed, it is to the fact that the method being used to advise me of the security update is infringing on  the experience of my own website and unless I pay for a license renewal IPS doesn't give a stinky brown one about the security of my site. They just want their dinero before they will release the security patch. THAT's the problem. And also, why does the warning have to be on the front end of the site when previously it was in the backend? 

What I want is for IPS to give a better reason to support them as a company by purchasing their renewal. I am not against renewing and I usually do, but in the past couple of years the focus here has been off-puttingly dictatorial by IPS. I read the comments made by staff on these forums to rational objections made by their customers and it's clear to me that they approach criticism with a sledgehammer instead of a sympathetic ear. That's not the company I recall purchasing from a few years ago, who went out of their way to make me feel like a valued customer. 

I'm sorry but the whole approach here is wrong. 

Just now, MADMAN32395 said:

Because not everyone hits up their ACP everyday. or checks for updates on IPB everyday.

So, make it smaller then. Or better still, make better software that doesn't require so many security patches. 

Just now, FZ said:

Interesting, because I don't see any annoying update notifications on my iPhone, iMac, iPad or Sony Smart TV. 

apple? iirc eventually you wouldn't be able to access the app store for being out of date.

SmartTV, pops up every now and then until completed. (I have multiple brands of smarttv)

iMac (iOS), eventually it will auto schedule a sec update.

I can do this all night. 

security updates are there for a reason, and so are active licenses. As an adult, if I was a member on your "adult" forum I would not be happy knowing you are not updating to a security release.

Really? Are you just trolling? I've had an iPhone since the 3Gs and I have never been forced into any update, nor has the interface been vandalised with notifications to update. At worst I see a little red circle with a number in it telling me there's an update. My smart TV doesn't insist that I update either and I can dismiss the notice by pressing OK. 

Thankfully you're not on my forum, nor would you ever be allowed in. 

5 minutes ago, FZ said:

Really? Are you just trolling? I've had an iPhone since the 3Gs and I have never been forced into any update, nor has the interface been vandalised with notifications to update. At worst I see a little red square with a number in it telling me there's an update. My smart TV doesn't insist that I update either and I can dismiss the notice by pressing OK. 

Thankfully you're not on my forum, nor would you ever be allowed to be. 

well IPS isnt going to change that, it was said on another topic very similar to your complaint...

also why do you keep coming back and complaining about the same thing that won't change? 

Archived