My users hate the activity stream

SJ77

I feel compelled to pass on the feedback. They have a whole thread going about how much they dislike this.

I use a customized Activity Stream as a substitute to the former "posts since last visit". The results of that Activity Stream are shown as an entry for the concerning topic and entries for every new post in that topic, as far as I can tell. Is there any way to change this behaviour? I don't like to have my stream spammed by hot topics with many replies and my stream showing all of them.

Thanks for all your effort!

I think I have the same problem I just want to go to my account settings click notifications and look up everything I missed that way like on the old site this way is hard to figure out cause every time I try and change the stream option it still shows everything instead of what im just following and spams me with all the posts in the topic instead just showing that the topic updated like on the old sites notifications page and the stream takes forever to load because its trying to load everything at once is there anyway to make it like the old site to do things and the whole site slows everything else im doing down way to much and I know I dropped lot of complaints at once right now and I know all of these arent the same problem as the op but I didn't want make a new topics for all of these I just wanna help and let you know how things are

That is one biiiiiiig sentence. Seems one can easily make five out of it...

In addition to the things already said: I don't really get, how this stream-thingy works. Seems you get the same information over and over again, the more activity you load in that stream. Some threads or posts are shown twice or more.

Use the "Content I posted in" Activity stream, it's the bottom one.

Which leads me only to content I posted in, which is not what I want...

I misread your question.

Try this:

1. Edit "Unread content"

2. For "Content Types" Select "Topics"

3. For "Time Period" Select "Since last visit"

That's what I did and look what my stream is showing:

There's an entry for each post and an entry for the topic.

568c0e32f27f1_activitystream.png.e107545

I was wondering the exact same thing. It seems as if going to Activity>Unread Content>Edit this stream>Only content I follow should do the trick but unfortunately it shows the same results as if i have done nothing.

me too lol I want it like it use to be on the old site. Does anyone else notice its slower?

TL:DR; users don't want tons of the same thread spamming up their feed. Please help.

PS. I think the current language is confusing, and your users don't know how to stop showing all the posts.

I think IPS should change it from:

Content items, comments, and reviews
Content items only

To something like:

Results listed as individual posts
Results listed as content items

Something more user friendly.

13 minutes ago, chilihead said:

"Content items only" will show the topic and not the posts, similar to VNC. You can create a new stream with this setting and save it as your site default if that's what most want/expect.

it's content items only by default

Some of them are not using that setting or stream, evident in the screenshot, that is the "Content items, comments, and reviews" setting, that's why 3 posts are listed, all 3 are posts in that topic.

Something is off though it seems, the topic listed as 2014 is in the middle. It should not be listing the bumped topic (post #1) and the new replies too hmm, wonder how that happened, and how, time-wise, it's in the middle.

• Management
16 hours ago, superj707 said:

TL:DR; users don't want tons of the same thread spamming up their feed. Please help.

I agree as I don't like that either. So tell your users to select to show items only rather than all posts. That's what that option is for :) ... if it's on then only one entry per item (like a topic, blog entry, article, etc.) will show in a stream.

568d7f9dcbbe4_UnreadContent-InvisionPowe

Here is a snippet of my unread content stream I use. It's quite tidy:

568d8072057b0_Home-InvisionPowerServices

• Management
2 minutes ago, NewRockRabbit said:

I think all this confusion with AS (by forum users and Admins) clearly demonstrates that the current system is simply not intuitive enough. I doubt whether the majority of users are going to go through the effort of configuring their own AS, they'll just get frustrated.

Admins can create a default stream. Further, we have some ideas coming up by or in 4.2 that will vastly improve the usability of AS such as more intuitive on-the-fly filtering and presentation improvements. 

1 minute ago, Lindy said:

Admins can create a default stream. Further, we have some ideas coming up by or in 4.2 that will vastly improve the usability of AS such as more intuitive on-the-fly filtering and presentation improvements. 

Yes, but in 3.4 the default (eg new posts in last 24 hrs) can be changed by the user by a single clear button (eg new posts in past week). It really is more complicated and confusing in 4.1.

And when I try to configure a default AS I'm never really sure what result I'll end up with :lol:

1 hour ago, Lindy said:

by or in 4.2

I don't even want to ask when 4.2 is so let's hope it is by 4.2. :D

Sounds good, filtering is definitely needed, creating new streams is great but we don't always need saved presets and just want to filter one stream. Clicking to filter is much faster than going to the other streams via the menu. Sounds like you have a plan.

• 5 weeks later...

The problem is I can't disable it or hide it.  In applications I've used the padlock to uncheck the groups....you can still see load the discover/unread page.  I've even disabled 'Activity Stream' itself....it doesn't work and shows up.  Only when I disable 'content discovery' can I stop it.

I quite like the idea of the Activity Stream but currently it shows the number of downloads for each item on all our Downloads content and does not honour the Downloads setting that this is disabled.

23 hours ago, Charles said:

Activity Streams are not private as they are really just a selection of filters and settings. What is actually shown to the end user is only what that user has permission to view.

Thanks for responding in the first instance, I can see with the 4.1.8.1 update you've now removed the Activity Stream module from the list in the ACP.  I was hoping this would be fixed rather than removed...is there no way now to switch off Activity Stream?  Many thanks.

• Management
55 minutes ago, Gravi5tar said:

Thanks for responding in the first instance, I can see with the 4.1.8.1 update you've now removed the Activity Stream module from the list in the ACP.  I was hoping this would be fixed rather than removed...is there no way now to switch off Activity Stream?  Many thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean. Version 4.1.8.1 did not touch the Activity Streams.

Why would you want to shut them off? They exist to help users find things. You can always just remove the links to them if for some reason you do not want your users to be able to discover content more easily.

1 hour ago, Cloud 9 said:

Its in mine on 4.1.8.1

56b68b4d6515f_ScreenShot2016-02-07at00.0

Have a look in System>Site Features>Applications and expand the System list, there should be an Activity Stream app' listed at the bottom.  It had group setting options etc....but it's gone now after I mentioned it on the earlier post.

4.1.7 & 4.1.8 had it but now 4.1.8.1 doesn't, on my installation anyway.

14 minutes ago, JLS said:

I'm trying to understand why they label "today", "yesterday", "last week"? According to it last week is "thursday" which is only 3 days ago and not on a Monday or Sunday or anything that would make sense to that?

Me either they only lead to bugs:

The dividers are not needed, the timestamps are there. No one cares if a post was "Yesterday" if it was 11:59 pm. It's just a post, made at 11:59 pm. The "Last week" one is really confusing. Last week means before Sunday. Maybe they mean "This past week"? Let's just ditch those headers.

1 minute ago, chilihead said:

Me either they only lead to bugs:

The dividers are not needed, the timestamps are there. No one cares if a post was "Yesterday" if it was 11:59 pm. It's just a post, made at 11:59 pm. The "Last week" one is really confusing. Last week means before Sunday. Maybe they mean "This past week"? Let's just ditch those headers.

Thurs of this week would only mean before Sunday of tomorrow :s 

Today, yesterday, etc I agree is obvious but I can ignore. But when I noticed it say "last week" I started trying to figure out what happened to the rest of this week and how to include it in our feed. But then realized the actual posting date which was thursday and just being mis-categorized by "last week".

Just typing that is confusing...LOL.

7 hours ago, Gravi5tar said:

Have a look in System>Site Features>Applications and expand the System list, there should be an Activity Stream app' listed at the bottom.  It had group setting options etc....but it's gone now after I mentioned it on the earlier post.

4.1.7 & 4.1.8 had it but now 4.1.8.1 doesn't, on my installation anyway.

Is it not the one called Content Discovery ? - As AS is Discovery ?

There is No AS in my system only the above at the top

No, it was in addition to the Content Discovery module and called 'Activity Stream', thanks for checking.  I would like to disable the feature of 'Activity Stream' but now this module has been removed I'm not sure how.

@Charles, you suggest unlinking content...I'm not sure what that means or what's involved, can I disable app's like downloads from contributing to the activity stream system for particular groups? I set the now illusive 'Activity Stream' module group permissions for this reason but it needed fixing...or renabling.  Permissions are essential, you can never assume one logic will suit everyones site.

so funny i just saw this thread, i went on a tangent and posted a similar post of my own not long ago,

couldn't agree more; i don't use the search anymore on IPSv4 forums including my own,
while i do on v3 boards and very happy with how things are displayed and work there,

Archived