Profile Field Per User Group

• 4 weeks later...

This plugin doesn't seem to do what it says it does at least from hours of back and forth testing. Currently on 4.4.x.

Example:

Field Name: What is the weather like by you?
Field Type: Select box.
Options: Cool, Warm, Hot
Member can edit value? Yes.
Allowed Groups: Group A

Now based on that and the wording: "Only users from selected groups will be able to fill this field ". That says in our mind that only Group A will be able to make a selection in their profile. However anyone from Group B, Group C, New Users, etc etc can go into their profile and make a selection. These other groups have no permissions at all and are not Admins/Mods. This seems to defeat the purpose of what was said above with only users from selected groups will be able to fill this field. Ideas on what's wrong here?

Bug Found: Additionally if a person in this case selects Cool in the drop down. Then decides they don't want to select anything a bit later now get a 0 instead of it just disappearing from their profile.

4 hours ago, ForumDefender said:

Now based on that and the wording: "Only users from selected groups will be able to fill this field ". That says in our mind that only Group A will be able to make a selection in their profile. However anyone from Group B, Group C, New Users, etc etc can go into their profile and make a selection. These other groups have no permissions at all and are not Admins/Mods. This seems to defeat the purpose of what was said above with only users from selected groups will be able to fill this field. Ideas on what's wrong here?

Make sure you’ve selected properly the groups. Disable any other plugin that changes profile fields behavior, if you have one, to discard any kind of conflict. I have a couple of boards based in profile information that are using this in 4.4.9.2 and didn’t report any error; they always do.

Anyway, I’m in the middle of a moving house and won’t be able to take a look at this at least until tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, ForumDefender said:

Bug Found: Additionally if a person in this case selects Cool in the drop down. Then decides they don't want to select anything a bit later now get a 0 instead of it just disappearing from their profile.

This plugin only takes carr of permissions (who can use/view the field). It doesn’t care which field type it is or what the user selects on it. Disable the plugin and test the same without it. I don’t think it’s related. 

6 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

Make sure you’ve selected properly the groups. Disable any other plugin that changes profile fields behavior, if you have one, to discard any kind of conflict. I have a couple of boards based in profile information that are using this in 4.4.9.2 and didn’t report any error; they always do.

Anyway, I’m in the middle of a moving house and won’t be able to take a look at this at least until tomorrow. 

This plugin only takes carr of permissions (who can use/view the field). It doesn’t care which field type it is or what the user selects on it. Disable the plugin and test the same without it. I don’t think it’s related. 

Found the issue and it seems that the permissions doesn't work correctly on older versions of 4.4.x. Once upgraded to 4.4.9 everything worked. As for the 0 bug you're right that's something on our end as well, we have no idea what as its not being put there by a plugin but must be a theme thing or something. Thank you and sorry to bother, good luck in your house move!

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, ipbhero said:

I deleted the previous version and installed the new version
The following error appears

Duplicate column name 'pf_view_permission_type

The "previous version", which I have no idea which is, probably didn't remove the columns when uninstalled, if you uninstalled, as you said "removed".

Anyway, the new one adds and removes columns properly. So drop the column in your database and install this new one.

Send a PM if you need help with it.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Adriano,

This problem occurred before (pls see error message attached), went away, and then has come back again just now. I'm on IPS 4.5 and version 2.3.0 of the plug in.

The only other app or plug in I have which affects profile fields is Profile Tabs Organizer but that is disabled.

Thanks, JP

Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 14.45.04.png

21 minutes ago, JPD said:

This problem occurred before (pls see error message attached), went away, and then has come back again just now. I'm on IPS 4.5 and version 2.3.0 of the plug in.

How to reproduce? Simply by going to the search form? Which permissions you have for the field? Not visible to users, etc? Need more information to take a look. 

Thanks, Adriano. I also have the error message appearing in Members on the Admin CP (screenshot attached).

I use a lot of custom fields with different permissions for various groups of fields so it's complex. Would it be a good idea to temporarily set you up as an admin?

Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 16.18.08.png

13 minutes ago, JPD said:

I use a lot of custom fields with different permissions for various groups of fields so it's complex.

You need to be more specific. I, for example, can’t reproduce none of this. So you will have to tell me which kind of configuration you have so I can try to reproduce. Disable all fields. Enabled one. Test. Ok? Next, etc. 

I don’t think this is something I must do in your board. I don’t know what kind of information you don’t want to show to your members. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I enable  PHP version 7.4.16 on my site this app works fine when I click on the following:

image.thumb.png.26d774b1be16b2a46c7c80997bfc9d47.png

When I enable  PHP version 8.0.3 on my site this app doesn't work:

image.png.e1d929f20ffc05b2528747389a70bcab.png

image.png.fcd49dae7a9f98060dd4f10431ddc15a.png

If I disable app while running PHP version 8.0.3 I am able to navigate to the Profiles Screen.  This seems to indicate that this app isn't fully compatible with PHP 8.0.3.

I cleared the system cache after switching between PHP versions. No errors being generated in System or Error Logs.

Please investigate, Thanks...

Edited by Chris Anderson
  • 6 months later...
On 2/2/2022 at 4:21 PM, Brainy S. said:

Would your plugin solve my problem?

My problem (link below) is that I want Admin/Moderators to be able to see and edit a Profile Field and edit it through a members Profile page, but at the same time NOT allow a member to see NOR edit the Profile Field.

I see you’re already using it. Thank you. 👍

• 10 months later...

The reason I bought this is to hide "About me" profile spam. A lot of spammers will register an account and then fill in the about me section of their profile with some meaningless spam and a URL. These links all over our website to low-quality domains probably hurt our SEO.

I disallowed general members from editing the profile field in the settings, so that only paying customers can use it. However, the thousands of existing spam profiles are still appearing on our site. Is there any way to hide these without deleting all user "About me" fields?

Edited by Interferon