Account Deactivation

Makoto

This is the support and feedback thread for the Account Deactivation application,

Please see the above link for a description of the application . If you need any help or have any suggestions to make, you can post them here! You're also free to send me a personal message (for suggestions or support requests) if that's easier for you.

Sounds great! Haven't upgraded yet but when I do will be getting.

Hiding member content so it appears deleted is a great option for "delete account and all content" requests (but it is just hidden). For deactivation requests, stays unhidden. Physically deleting, I could do without that option, but could be good as a setting.

Great work.

Almost everything is fully customizable. The ability to deactivate and/or delete accounts is controller per member group (so you can control whether members can delete or only deactivate their accounts).

When the hide content on deactivation feature is added, it will of course be optional as well.

Almost everything is fully customizable. The ability to deactivate and/or delete accounts is controller per member group (so you can control whether members can delete or only deactivate their accounts).

When the hide content on deactivation feature is added, it will of course be optional as well.

Nice! Does this mean that admins can disable the option via ACP so members can only request their accounts to be deactivated?

Nice! Does this mean that admins can disable the option via ACP so members can only request their accounts to be deactivated?

Yep! It's configured via the Member Groups setting pages. By default no member groups have permission to deactivate or delete their accounts, so you just need to enable the permissions accordingly.

Screenshot_from_2015-08-22_19-03-39.thum

Screenshot_from_2015-08-22_19-04-30.thum

I've just uploaded a new minor release of the application to the marketplace.

Please see the changelog for information on what has been added and fixed with this release. The two major updates include integration with @Kevin Carwile's Rules application and support for customizable e-mail notification templates.

There are also already several planned features underway for the next minor release. This will include @chilihead's above suggestion, offering the option to hide / delete a members content on account deactivation / deletion.

My plans for this feature are currently as follows,

• Content can be hidden in response to a deactivation request. I'm thinking it would be best to offer this as an option to the member upon submitting their request. That is, the member has the choice as to whether or not they want to have their content removed.
  • I would like to provide an option to have the members content restored if they ever decide to reactivate their account. This will be done intelligently, so that only content that was hidden in response to the members deactivation request will be affected. Basically, you won't have to worry about content manually hidden by an admin / moderator being restored.
  • Content can be hidden or permanently deleted in response to a deletion request. Like with deactivation requests, this will be presented as an option to the member. But whether or not the content is simply hidden or permanently deleted will be left to the administrator. (To the end user, it won't have any effect on the way the option is displayed.)

In addition to this, I will be adding another personal request to the next release. Currently permissions are configured on a Member Group basis. You can grant access to account deactivation and/or deletion depending on the group a member is in. I plan on extending this so that deactivation / deletion requests can also be granted to a member group only if they have less than a set number of content posts. I might also expand on this so that members can only request to have their content hidden / deleted if they have under a set number of content submissions as well.

If you have any comments on these planned updates, or would like to offer any additional feature requests, please feel free to post them here!

I plan on extending this so that deactivation / deletion requests can also be granted to a member group only if they have less than a set number of content posts. I might also expand on this so that members can only request to have their content hidden / deleted if they have under a set number of content submissions as well.

Can admins define the threshold or is it a fixed number?

Can admins define the threshold or is it a fixed number?

It will be configurable by the admin, similar to how the "Can use signatures?" setting is set up,
Screenshot_from_2015-08-27_03-26-17.thum

(Though naturally it will be restricted by a maximum number of content submissions, not minimum)

• 3 months later...

I notice that the Delete profile photo and signature? toggle for Deactivation settings doesn't stick. It's always untoggled if I leave and come back. 

Other than that, it looks very good and should fit the bill.

I personally don't believe that content should be bulk removed from a community's history by fiat of the original poster  (short of extreme circumstances) but making that an option is a very good idea nonetheless, and I can see the value for some communities. Plus I've been known to change my mind on occasion :p 

Bummer.

Accessing example.com/notifications/options/ reliably throws a 500 server error. I can toggle the error on and off by enabling/disabling the application itself or one of the modules. Confirmed on two devices and 'support' skin.

Running the IPS 'something's not working' support tool  reports the following queries as needing to be run (munged to avoid incapsula problems)

UPD*TE `ibf_deactivation_requests` SET `member_id`=0 WHERE `member_id` IS NULL;
ALT*R T*BLE `ibf_deactivation_requests` CHANGE COLUMN `member_id` `member_id` BIGINT (20) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0 COMMENT 'The accounts member ID';
UPD*TE `ibf_deactivation_comments` SET `request_id`=0 WHERE `request_id` IS NULL;
ALT*R T*BLE `ibf_deactivation_comments` CHANGE COLUMN `request_id` `request_id` BIGINT (20) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0 COMMENT 'Request ID Number';
UPD*TE `ibf_deactivation_removed_content` SET `member_id`=0 WHERE `member_id` IS NULL;
ALT*R T*BLE `ibf_deactivation_removed_content` CHANGE COLUMN `member_id` `member_id` BIGINT (20) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0 COMMENT 'Content authors Member ID';

"Fix automatically" reports success but the same report occurs when I rerun the tool.

Hey @bradl,

Regarding the errors returned by the support tool, you can ignore those. They aren't actually a problem. The support tool sometimes mistakenly believes the database schema is out of sync when it's not, so that's why even when you run the tool the "error" reappears.

On the notifications issue, I am actually not able to reproduce this on my live forum at the moment, but I will look into this in more detail for you shortly. If you don't mind sending me a PM to set up a temporary administrator account so that I can debug the issue for you, that'd be a great help.

(Otherwise, try searching for "System Logs" in the AdminCP. See if you can find anything of relevance in the most recent log entries and copy and paste them here.)

• 3 weeks later...

A new release has been posted which addresses a compatibility issue with IPS 4.1.6.

If you have not upgraded to 4.1.6 yet, please disable the Account Deactivation application before upgrading to the latest IPS release. Then, after upgrading IPS, go ahead and upgrade the Account Deactivation application as well. After you do that, you can re-enable the application.

If you have already upgraded to 4.1.6 and you are getting template errors on your site and in the AdminCP, please manually add the following to the end of the URL in your web browser after logging in to the AdminCP to access the applications page:

&app=core&module=applications&controller=applications

From here, just upgrade the Account Deactivation application like normal and that should take care of the issue.

• 2 months later...

Hi Makoto,

When I go to support. I see the following errors:

There are some problems with your database. Normally it is safe to try to fix these problems automatically however if your community is large, you may want to run the necessary queries manually. If so, the queries to run are:
UPDATE `ibf_deactivation_requests` SET `member_id`=0 WHERE `member_id` IS NULL;
ALTER TABLE `ibf_deactivation_requests` CHANGE COLUMN `member_id` `member_id` BIGINT (20) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0 COMMENT 'The accounts member ID';
UPDATE `ibf_deactivation_comments` SET `request_id`=0 WHERE `request_id` IS NULL;
ALTER TABLE `ibf_deactivation_comments` CHANGE COLUMN `request_id` `request_id` BIGINT (20) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0 COMMENT 'Request ID Number';
UPDATE `ibf_deactivation_removed_content` SET `member_id`=0 WHERE `member_id` IS NULL;
ALTER TABLE `ibf_deactivation_removed_content` CHANGE COLUMN `member_id` `member_id` BIGINT (20) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0 COMMENT 'Content authors Member ID';

Clicking on fix it automatically doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

On 12/19/2015 at 7:37 PM, Makoto said:

Regarding the errors returned by the support tool, you can ignore those. They aren't actually a problem. The support tool sometimes mistakenly believes the database schema is out of sync when it's not, so that's why even when you run the tool the "error" reappears.

Couple of posts above... ^_^ 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I like the look of this app a lot but I have a question regarding compatibility with other apps -- my site uses a custom app for managing accounts, including a sub-account system of sorts and so I was wondering if you think there would likely be any problems with this type of thing?

Hi,

I bought the tool and I love it!

But I really can't find the following configuration options:

• Where to toggle on/off if member posts should be deleted OR NOT when approving a deletion request?
    I do not want to loose any post in the community if a member is deleted!
  • Where to edit the deactivation terms? I found them in the language settings to translate, but not in ACP to edit via the editor

I'm using IPS 4.1.8.1 and will upgrade as soon as 4.1.10 will be available.

Thanks for help!

Anybody knows how and where to configure, so posts won't be deleted when approving account deletion via this tool?

I can't find this setting. And I always want to keep every post!

As there are already members with deletion requests in the queue in my community, it would be great if anybody could answer this soon.

Archived