Account Deactivation

Makoto

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2015 at 7:42 PM, bradl said:

I notice that the Delete profile photo and signature? toggle for Deactivation settings doesn't stick. It's always untoggled if I leave and come back. 

Other than that, it looks very good and should fit the bill.

I personally don't believe that content should be bulk removed from a community's history by fiat of the original poster  (short of extreme circumstances) but making that an option is a very good idea nonetheless, and I can see the value for some communities. Plus I've been known to change my mind on occasion :p 

On 12/18/2015 at 8:32 PM, bradl said:

Bummer.

Running the IPS 'something's not working' support tool  reports the following queries as needing to be run (munged to avoid incapsula problems)

UPD*TE `ibf_deactivation_requests` SET `member_id`=0 WHERE `member_id` IS NULL;
ALT*R T*BLE `ibf_deactivation_requests` CHANGE COLUMN `member_id` `member_id` BIGINT (20) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0 COMMENT 'The accounts member ID';
UPD*TE `ibf_deactivation_comments` SET `request_id`=0 WHERE `request_id` IS NULL;
ALT*R T*BLE `ibf_deactivation_comments` CHANGE COLUMN `request_id` `request_id` BIGINT (20) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0 COMMENT 'Request ID Number';
UPD*TE `ibf_deactivation_removed_content` SET `member_id`=0 WHERE `member_id` IS NULL;
ALT*R T*BLE `ibf_deactivation_removed_content` CHANGE COLUMN `member_id` `member_id` BIGINT (20) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0 COMMENT 'Content authors Member ID';

"Fix automatically" reports success but the same report occurs when I rerun the tool.

@Makoto both of these issue are present for me running IPS 4.1.12.3 and Account Deactivation 1.1.2 ; was curious on a fix timeframe?

• 2 months later...
48 minutes ago, AndyF said:

You'd need to speak to the author about this to determine its current / future availability.

I already have; and still waiting for a response. I'm hoping Makoto is alright and that nothing has happened to them in real life, but I don't like this (IMO) 'shady nonsense' especially when there are people who have paid for this, and paid to have it supported, rely on this being kept up-to-date. 

32 minutes ago, Tripp_UK said:

I already have; and still waiting for a response. I'm hoping Makoto is alright and that nothing has happened to them in real life, but I don't like this (IMO) 'shady nonsense' especially when there are people who have paid for this, and paid to have it supported, rely on this being kept up-to-date. 

@AndyF I've gotten a response in the contributor chat. That contains makotos plans for this app.

17 hours ago, Tripp_UK said:

The reason I did not mention that topic was simply as the Client I quoted initially (bradl) does not have the contrib flag so it would be unlikely they could see it. ^_^

The problem is Andy, I didn't know this topic existed until MadMan pointed it out. What I meant by this shady nonsense is the fact that the modder in question (as well as a few others in the past) seemingly took as much money as possible promising support, before running off into the sunset, leaving the people who now rely on it wondering if they'll ever get support for it, ever again... Which they paid for by the way. 

This one in particular hid all/most of their things instead of being up-front and honest with their customers, who again... Paid for the support, and expect the files to be kept up-to-date as that's what we paid for. Then to top it all off, we have hilarious mental gymnastics of trying to push the blame on others except themselves which is the bloody icing on the cake! As if it wasn't bad enough; the policies of the marketplace are not very consumer friendly and there are no protections for customers in these situations, which allows for this crap to happen time and time again.

For those that can't see why I'm so angry about this, this is why:

On 20/08/2016 at 2:58 PM, Makoto said:

Honestly @MADMAN32395, I am not sure at the moment. I do not feel entirely confident that it is worth coming back to the marketplace as things currently stand, and even if I am to release any paid plugins/applications again, they will not likely be published to the marketplace here.

Managing plugins/applications for IPS is an enormous time sink. Things tend to break randomly as there is no consistency with the IPS release cycle. A minor/patch release can introduce significant API changes that cause once perfectly functional third party extensions to render an entire IPS installation inoperable; then third party developers end up taking the blame for it.

Combine that with the fact that the market pool here is already very limited, with many clients additionally having completely unrealistic demands on how much an application should cost and how we developers should ensure our applications forever and always work flawlessly with each and every new IPS release.

It is extremely stressing and draining, to say the least.

If you would like to follow this thread, I will try and post an update if I ever re-release any of my previous applications.

To which I responded with this:

I know I'm going to get flak for this but I no longer care. This is yet another developer who's seemingly just run off into the sunset on false promises after taking as much money they can. 

Honestly @MADMAN32395, I am not sure at the moment. I do not feel entirely confident that it is worth coming back to the marketplace as things currently stand, and even if I am to release any paid plugins/applications again, they will not likely be published to the marketplace here.

Well I'm pretty damn angry about this. Screw the people who actually paid you to support your files, and reasonably expect updates. You've screwed any trust I had in you. 

Managing plugins/applications for IPS is an enormous time sink. Things tend to break randomly as there is no consistency with the IPS release cycle. A minor/patch release can introduce significant API changes that cause once perfectly functional third party extensions to render an entire IPS installation inoperable; then third party developers end up taking the blame for it.

Do you have evidence to back up this claim? Because when I've had problems like this IPS have told me "This is because the app is outdated, and uses old API calls." It seems to me some of these can easily be changed but I don't know for sure. At any rate: Why don't you take this up with IPS, instead of punishing the people who paid for the application? 

Combine that with the fact that the market pool here is already very limited, with many clients additionally having completely unrealistic demands on how much an application should cost and how we developers should ensure our applications forever and always work flawlessly with each and every new IPS release.

Then why make a commitment you can't keep? As for unrealistic demands, there's nothing unrealistic about paying for the support and expecting it. If you're making an account deactivation mod for example and someone wants to make it so that it auto-deactivates inactive accounts you're well within your rights to say 'No. That's not what this app does.' It's also well within your right if you're asking for $40 but someone thinks it's only worth $4, to tell that person screw off. I think over generalised and sweeping statements like this makes it look like you're playing a blame shifting game. If you committed to supporting a product you released, you should keep up with those commitments. Instead you've hidden everything and kept your customers in the dark.

It is extremely stressing and draining, to say the least.

If you would like to follow this thread, I will try and post an update if I ever re-release any of my previous applications.

Whatever... Do what makes you feel better. Screw the customer, right

I'm still angry about this.

I have to agree. I once had the opportunity to purchase an application (I will not mention what it was) and sell it myself in the market place. It was a much needed app at the time too. Since I don't know much about creating apps and keeping them updated I had someone (name I will not mention) that would keep it updated for me. I seriously considered doing this but thought about it a bit more. I knew I did not have the knowledge and know how to support the application or even answer questions about it unless it was something simple. As much as I wanted to do it, I knew it was not the right thing to do so I backed out of the deal. 

If you can't support something, then don't release anything.

Yes, it will be stressful, how could someone think it would be a walk in the park. :lol:

• 8 months later...
Just now, MADMAN32395 said:

assuming since it appears to be a fresh upload, that it should be just as easy to click update on the existing install? or does this have to be uninstall/reinstalled?

You should be able to update it without any issues.

Well after this product was removed from the marketplace and was no longer being supported by the developer I was one of those purchasers that made the decision to cancel my renewals of the product. A reasonable step I would suggest in the circumstances. Why would anyone be expected to continue to pay for a product renewal that was a) no longer being supported and b) no longer available for download in the marketplace as it had been removed by the developer?

Clearly the above is exactly what the developer expected as apparently you can only be added back on to this product if you are prepared to pay for it again (or at least 50% of the cost) following a conversation I have had via PM. 

I could explain it but I think its probably best just to post the contents of the PM so you can all see his stance which frankly I feel is unacceptable;

Snip20170516_4.thumb.png.6fa56a54befb701bf714f4368a59ff6d.png

Snip20170516_5.thumb.png.a948372c1d7d034c8b7a4799baa24a87.png

They really need little explanation and no doubt you will make your own decisions on which way to go with this. If I get any further positive responses I will of course post them to keep you updated.

Thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hmm, not sure if it works correctly.

1. The tab entry ("deactivation requests") in the ModCP to decide about requests and handle confirmations isn't displayed at all. There is NO DISPLAY.
  2. In the settings, I don't see any fields to edit the "deactivation terms" as well as the "deletion terms". Where can I edit the deactivation / deletion terms?
  3. In the account settings, the option to deactivate/delete the account is on the right side of the display as a simple text link below "other settings". But I think, it should be positioned more obvious in the vertical tab menu on the left side of the display (anywhere in here -> between email address, password, account security…)
  4. In ACP -> account deactivation, there are possible email notifications. They are for the member, who requested a deactivation/deletion, right?

Thanks for checking.

Archived