Impressed with the gallery

kar3n2

I uploaded a photo  which I took several years ago and it has been stored in dropbox for a long time too.  The gallery even picked up what camera I used.  This is surely a boon for serious amateur or pro photographers but Im not sure of the value as such.

very clever though I have to add       https://community.invisionpower.com/gallery/image/9743-tuppence-getting-emails/

how do I set my own gallery up to show the camera which has been used?   I noticed my gallery doesnt show the information so perhaps Ive missed a setting somewhere

It should appear automatically, unless you stripped the EXIF data from your photos before uploading.

It should appear automatically, unless you stripped the EXIF data from your photos before uploading.

thats strange then because i uploaded the very same photo (as I added into IPS gallery above) into my own gallery so I presume the information was still in there.

Hi @kar3n2

please check your phpinfo, if the exif-extension is installed and enabled

exif

EXIF Supportenabled

You may use the following tool to check, if and what EXIF-Data is available - like @Lukeroge mentinoed, this should be displayed automatically:
http://regex.info/exif.cgi

This will show you all stored EXIF-Data... Please note: some softwareeditingtools rip that data (eg. if you resize the image).

If http://regex.info/exif.cgi shows the EXIF-Data you want to show (eg. the camera you used, GPS-Data, etc) and EXIF-Support is enabled in your php-installation, just post the results here or open a supportticket attaching the picture. 

Hi @kar3n2

please check your phpinfo, if the exif-extension is installed and enabled

exif

EXIF Support enabled

You may use the following tool to check, if and what EXIF-Data is available - like @Lukeroge mentinoed, this should be displayed automatically:
http://regex.info/exif.cgi

This will show you all stored EXIF-Data... Please note: some softwareeditingtools rip that data (eg. if you resize the image).

If http://regex.info/exif.cgi shows the EXIF-Data you want to show (eg. the camera you used, GPS-Data, etc) and EXIF-Support is enabled in your php-installation, just post the results here or open a supportticket attaching the picture. 

Yes the exif details do show for my image ( well impressed took it 7 years, 4 months, 25 days, 21 hours, 35 minutes, 26 seconds ago :tongue:) on that site ... so now i have contacted my web host to see if Exif support is enabled in php-installation.

Thanks... just need to wait see what web host says now

If you don't want to wait, login your ACP, go to System -> Support, click on phpinfo and search for exif.

If RegEx shows your info, there is spmething wrong with your installation. It's also possible, that EXIF-Data is not compazible or has some incompatinle Data. Gallery/PHP are more sensotive  than exif.cgi (that just shows raw data and don't care about the content). Someone has to check the file in that case

The requirered extension is missing, so php (and Gallery) are unable to read the exif metadata. You have to install the exif-extension (if you are root, use yum, apt-get...)) or ask your host to do this (if not root). But be warned. You may have to re-compile php (if packetmanager fail, etc), you REALLY need  to know what your doing, you may break your LAMP including cps like Plesk or cPanel BADLY.

The requirered extension is missing, so php (and Gallery) are unable to read the exif metadata. You have to install the exif-extension (if you are root, use yum, apt-get...)) or ask your host to do this (if not root). But be warned. You may have to re-compile php (of packetmanager fail), you REALLY need  to know what your doingdoing, you may break your LAMP including cps like Plesk or cPanel BADLY.

I'll be asking my web host as ive no idea what Im doing in any way whatsoever    ha ha

Might not be a bad idea to remove it. :)

Surprised your hosting does not have exif though.

removed.  yeah I guess it is surprising but maybe he didnt realize... anyway   im sure he will sort it for me when he gets my message.  He is very helpful like that for me.

The funny thing is unless I posted my image into the IPS gallery I would never have been any wiser to photos having exif information ( which as Ive mentioned think is a great idea) . 

You are welcome, great your host got it sorted. :) 

Have fun with your gallery and the old (and new :) ) pictures.

Btw: If your exif data contain gps-data, gallery shows the location the picture was taken on a map - this is my favorite feature :wub:

that's interesting to know...  I wonder if people might find that a bit cheeky though?   hmmm worth asking them and maybe doing a poll to see how they feel about it. Could be a good idea seeing as my site is about outdoor events in the UK ( when I get going that is after ironing out all these little quirks ha ha ) :wub:

that's interesting to know...  I wonder if people might find that a bit cheeky though?   hmmm worth asking them and maybe doing a poll to see how they feel about it. Could be a good idea seeing as my site is about outdoor events in the UK ( when I get going that is after ironing out all these little quirks ha ha ) :wub:

Users can elect to not display that information if they don't want too. :)

ooohh this gets even better ha ha   Ill ask my webhost again    onwards and upwards  ..

Users can elect to not display that information if they don't want too. :)

oh just thought   ... should I be asking my webhost about the gps data or is already there somewhere maybe in morre recent photos they upload 

ooohh this gets even better ha ha   Ill ask my webhost again    onwards and upwards  ..

Hehe, don't worry, you don't have to deal with another extension for php, etc :rofl: 

The GPS-datas are in the exif-informations, IF the camera/device support GPS (Most mobiles do, some cameras need external GPS-Trackers, some has build in GPS-Trackers some don't support GPS at all (you may add coordinates manually using tools like GeoSetter (http://www.geosetter.de/en/ ) .

Never had complains from users - most people post pictures from my hometown showing their favorite places or events, so they don't have to describe where the picture was taken. etc (That will certainly be different when you run a cheating-site and users post pictures of their affairs :tongue::rofl:)

Hehe, don't worry, you don't have to deal with another extension for php, etc :rofl: 

The GPS-datas are in the exif-informations, IF the camera/device support GPS (Most mobiles do, some cameras need external GPS-Trackers, some has build in GPS-Trackers some don't support GPS at all (you may add coordinates manually using tools like GeoSetter (http://www.geosetter.de/en/ ) .

Never had complains from users - most people post pictures from my hometown showing their favorite places or events, so they don't have to describe where the picture was taken. etc (That will certainly be different when you run a cheating-site and users post pictures of their affairs :tongue::rofl:)

Gotchya...  quite literally you cheaters    ha ha 

Archived