Slow Load Speed

Right but if php-fpm works well for busy sites and ours is not maybe not worth the effort of too much messing around to achieve little gain.

The only thing I would do now is make sure you've got PHP caching enabled. You can do this using cPanel. Depending on your PHP version, you're looking for either "apc.enable" or "opcache.enable".

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks :) Just replied. Site is getting quite nippy and smooth now compared to how it was!

Glad to hear it! And indeed, PHP caching has quite a dramatic effect. It's always my first recommendation when dealing with slow PHP applications.

Glad to hear it! And indeed, PHP caching has quite a dramatic effect. It's always my first recommendation when dealing with slow PHP applications.

Dumping Apache for either nginx or LiteSpeed is will give a noticeable performance boost for most forums also.

Enabling PHP Opcode caching is pretty much essential to get the best performance from your site :)

So I now know :)

Dumping Apache for either nginx or LiteSpeed is will give a noticeable performance boost for most forums also.

Yeah but from what has been said above not if the forum has very few active members online.

Wrong.. it will give an improvement.. it's just a more noticeable improvement with more online at once.  The issue is that nginx won't work with cPanel, so that leaves out a large percentage of the administrators that can only use a graphical interface.  

LiteSpeed will work with cPanel, but it costs extra.

The forums on here loads way faster than before, over 50% faster. Also checked out Ehren's test forums, they have incredible speed too. Did any big changes happen?

faeces! I might consider moving back to IPS again.

We have a lot more changes to search/VNC to make it more efficient :)

Something must of been done, the forums load way faster than before? Or am I paranoid.

@Lukeroge how can I enable Opcode caching in IPB?

As far I've seen, I can only use APC, eAccelerator, Memcached, Redis, Wincache and XCache - to my bad, none is installed in my shared server.

It's a separate system from IPS caching, it caches code files on the PHP level allowing for much lower CPU usage - you can enable it in your PHP.ini file, but since you are on a shared host you might not be able to :(

It's a separate system from IPS caching, it caches code files on the PHP level allowing for much lower CPU usage - you can enable it in your PHP.ini file, but since you are on a shared host you might not be able to :(

That seems great. I'm looking for some VPSes at some affordable price that could guarantee some Anti-DDoS feature. Possibly I'm gonna move to OVH :) 

That seems great. I'm looking for some VPSes at some affordable price that could guarantee some Anti-DDoS feature. Possibly I'm gonna move to OVH :) 

I've been on OVH VPS's some time ago, and they oversell. Which mean's the speed of your site may be fine at some point, and very slow at another point, without you knowing why.

Varnish Cache is a nifty form of DIY DDoS protection. Essentially, you'd serve cached content to all unauthenticated sessions with a short TTL and then pipe the rest to the web server. Since Varnish keeps its cached objects in memory, a cheap box can handle a surprisingly high amount of traffic.

DDoS protection aside, Linode is an excellent VPS provider.

I've been on OVH VPS's some time ago, and they oversell. Which mean's the speed of your site may be fine at some point, and very slow at another point, without you knowing why.

Any suggestions to another VPS that have Anti-DDoS @RevengeFNF?

Varnish Cache is a nifty form of DIY DDoS protection. Essentially, you'd serve cached content to all unauthenticated sessions with a short TTL and then pipe the rest to the web server. Since Varnish keeps its cached objects in memory, a cheap box can handle a surprisingly high amount of traffic.

DDoS protection aside, Linode is an excellent VPS provider.

I'm going to investigate about Varnish Cache, thanks a lot @Xae!

Any suggestions to another VPS that have Anti-DDoS @RevengeFNF?

I'm going to investigate about Varnish Cache, thanks a lot @Xae!

It depends on how much money per month you are willing to pay.

IPS4 already have cache page for guests, using memcached for example. Every unauthenticated user will hit the cached page that is stored in memory.

PS: OVH is bad at VPS's, but you can buy a dedicated server with them from Kimsufi, because their DDOS protection is very good. 

IPS4 already have cache page for guests, using memcached for example. Every unauthenticated user will hit the cached page that is stored in memory.

IPS4's own caching doesn't help against a DDoS attack since it relies on PHP being executed. You have to take that out of the equation.

IPS4's own caching doesn't help against a DDoS attack since it relies on PHP being executed. You have to take that out of the equation.

But it helps. For example against the F5 flood attack. I never used Varnish, so i don't know very well how it works. I alwasy used Nginx to serve static files.
In my opinion the best method is to do some simple rules with fail2ban. If some IP makes many requests per second, it will simple ban him with iptables,

Well i had a question to about the load speed. The load speed of opening the topics is better after some tweaks with mysql and also xcache and some other settings. But there is one thing dat still being slow. That is when you adding a post. This cost here sometimes a minute even it is a post with only three words. Have anyone this to, or is it only here. And maybe someone has some tips to make that speed better to?

But it helps. For example against the F5 flood attack. I never used Varnish, so i don't know very well how it works. I alwasy used Nginx to serve static files.In my opinion the best method is to do some simple rules with fail2ban. If some IP makes many requests per second, it will simple ban him with iptables,

I suppose it depends on what kind of attack size he needs protection from. A few guys with LOICs are easily blocked with iptables, but even a small botnet will bust through that and eat up all the PHP processes. Varnish Cache can be tuned to handle many thousands of RPS which isn't surprising since serving what are essentially HTML files stored in memory doesn't take much in terms of processing time.

That's the best DIY solution I've come across so far. The next step up would probably have to be CloudFlare or some other authentication layer.

Well i had a question to about the load speed. The load speed of opening the topics is better after some tweaks with mysql and also xcache and some other settings. But there is one thing dat still being slow. That is when you adding a post. This cost here sometimes a minute even it is a post with only three words. Have anyone this to, or is it only here. And maybe someone has some tips to make that speed better to?

I've seen it take between 5-10 seconds, which is far too long even though it's not nearly a full minute. The usual suspect for such extreme loading times is slow HTTP requests made by the server.

Is there a noticeable difference in loading time depending on the topic you're replying to? In terms of total reply count, followers etc.

I've seen it take between 5-10 seconds, which is far too long even though it's not nearly a full minute. The usual suspect for such extreme loading times is slow HTTP requests made by the server.

Is there a noticeable difference in loading time depending on the topic you're replying to? In terms of total reply count, followers etc.

No there is no difference. In every topic i post or other users is it long. When you reply to a topic en click on save then you saving. And after a minute or some it refresh and then it is posted. But that time is whay to long in my opinion. Sometimes if you are lukky then it will take 30 seconds. But i see a lot of times that it takes longer then that...

Archived