Using Firefox, my site is painfully slow?

JEFF MACK

This IPB site is fast in Firefox for me, but browsing my own site http://community.brickpicker.com is painfully slow.  Works fine in Chrome, but it spins and waits a lot when you visit after a few moments.  It gets better when you click around for a bit, but overall nothing speedy.  My moderators have mentioned it to me as well. They keep saying "site is really slow today" then i find out they are using Firefox, when I say to try chrome, they tell me it is much better.

I too don’t really think you have a “Firefox problem”. Try optimizing your site in general, and it will also work better in Firefox. 

​I am using the base template with color changes, what optimizations should I be looking for?

I like the site.  I grew up with Legos! :lol:    The site loads fine with me.  Here are a few things that might be of interest.  Taken from the index..

Total HTTP Requests: 67
Total Size: 1932990 bytes

Object Size Totals

Object type Size (bytes) Download @ 56K (seconds) Download @ T1 (seconds)
HTML: 27975 5.78 0.35
HTML Images: 1671200 343.67 19.45
CSS Images: 0 0.00 0.00
Total Images: 1671200 343.67 19.45
Javascript: 233558 48.95 3.64
CSS: 257 0.25 0.20
Multimedia: 0 0.00 0.00
Other: 0 0.00 0.00

External Objects

External Object QTY
Total HTML: 1
Total HTML Images: 53
Total CSS Images: 0
Total Images: 53
Total Scripts: 12
Total CSS imports: 1
Total Frames: 0
Total Iframes: 0

Download Times*

Connection Rate Download Time
14.4K 1511.56 seconds
28.8K 762.48 seconds
33.6K 655.47 seconds
56K 398.64 seconds
ISDN 128K 131.38 seconds
T1 1.44Mbps 23.64 seconds

• 1 month later...

I am still having lots of people contact me about how bad and slow the load time is for people using Firefox... 

Here are just a few comments from people

The loading up the forum slowness still affects me even after just getting a couple of upgrades that really sped up my internet service download & upload speeds (about 4x faster I think than what I had for the past few years). Majority of sites such as YouTube, Brickset, even image heavy Flickr, load up very quickly yet still BrickPicker's forum and pages within take awhile to load (more than 15 seconds often, I've counted slowly) and sometimes I need to click a topic link twice before the page starts moving. (This with only one browser window open too.)

I have the same problem with PC Firefox. If I open multiple tabs which is the first tab opened, always loads after all the other tabs have opened. I also have the slow initial connection to the Forum main page. I will try to record it an share it to give you specifics.

I too experience a 15-25s delay when loading a page regardless of ISP. I just profiled it and the delay is in TTFB. This is typically a server issue and would have to be addressed by the host. It can also be caused by inefficient queries and such.

Also, every page load in community takes at least 15 seconds.  Any way to speed that up?  It appears to be web only, the mobile app doesn't have the delayed page loads.

Some people say they see the same thing in Chrome

Also, I tried Chrome and I'm still getting 15-second page loads.  Seems like a server issue.  If you add a page load time widget at the bottom of the page I can send some screen shots.

I am still having lots of people contact me about how bad and slow the load time is for people using Firefox...

Reading the quotes, I still don’t think anything points to a connection of IPS 4.0 and Firefox. Just because a user happens to use Firefox while experiencing slow load times, doesn’t mean that there is a connection of the load problems to Firefox.

Loads fast for me on firefox

Again, you were not logged in though.  It has guest caching on, so overall there is a good chance that it will be fast for you.

Reading the quotes, I still don’t think anything points to a connection of IPS 4.0 and Firefox. Just because a user happens to use Firefox while experiencing slow load times, doesn’t mean that there is a connection of the load problems to Firefox.

I understand what you are saying, but I too see a big difference when using Firefox compared to chrome.

Again, you were not logged in though.  It has guest caching on, so overall there is a good chance that it will be fast for you.

So what about yourself? Can you replicate the problems when being logged in?

If a user has slow loading, but you don’t, then the problem is probably with his connection. Considering how large your board is, I am not surprised at all, that you receive such reports. It’s a statistical expectation that a certain percentage of users will have such problems.

If you can replicate slow load times yourself, then try to narrow them down. Do they appear on certain pages, e.g. the forum index? What widgets are on that page? Does it get better when you turn them off? If a page takes a long time, what takes a long time? Is it the first answer from the server? Or does the server answer quickly, but the rendering of the page elements takes forever? Those two things would have very different reasons and would need to be adressed in very different ways …

Archived