After updating to V4 all smileys are gone

You have to do what I say prior to upgrading. If you've already upgraded you're in a bit of a pickle.

You can manually move the emoticons to the new location, however to do so you may also have to rename them all with a particular prefix. Mine got moved and were all renamed with the prefix 'default_'. (smile.png became default_smile.png)

In your FTP look in /uploads/emoticons and you should see your 1 current working emoticon. Check the name... Is it default_smile? If so, again in your FTP go to public/style_emoticons/default. Can you see the rest of the emoticons in there? If so, they won't have the 'default_' part of the name. You can manually rename them, to add 'default_' as a prefix, and then move them from that folder to your new folder.

A word of advice for the future, always upgrade a test board first. It will help you unearth any problems you'll face before facing them on a live site. This has paid dividends for me as I spotted the emoticon problem pretty quickly, I spotted database conversion issues that would have otherwise rendered my site offline for hours, I spotted a bug with a third party application that I was able to get resolved by the author and I've been able to assess the speed of the software in comparison to my still live 3.4.8 site. I just can't understate the value of thorough testing before a live upgrade. The time invested in this way has saved me so much grief.

Ditto I had this as well. I had to manually upload my smilies that were missing and add "default_" to their name. No mention of this in the upgrade instructions in the client section.

Next problem is all posts prior to the upgrade that have smilies aren't showing the image. The text shortcut displays instead. I've got a ticket in for this and other problems.

Thanks for this. Is it a bug that needs reporting then, or has it been fixed already?

Possibly you have make sure other folders like style extras are 777'd as well prior to upgrade?

Leaving folders at 777 always worries me. Would be great if the software corrected any unnecessary 777 folders automagically.

Thanks for this. Is it a bug that needs reporting then, or has it been fixed already?

Possibly you have make sure other folders like style extras are 777'd as well prior to upgrade?

Leaving folders at 777 always worries me. Would be great if the software corrected any unnecessary 777 folders automagically.

​I don't think style extras matter as existing styles are not utilised, as far as I know.

Also, since I delete the public folder after the upgrade CHMOD'ing it and/or the emoticons folders to 777 didn't concern me too much.

Archived