Chat feedback

Ocean West

Thanks IPS for letting us kick the tires on the new chat.

Observations and concerns.

• Chat window should be full height of the window and resize with the browser. (too short)
  • ads should not interfere with the chat - if the chat window include the global ad locations that would make the chat even more squeezed. (easy way to turn them off - i really don't wish to go tinkering with templates.)
  • footer (copyright) that should be forced to the bottom of the site and using jquery or css tricks that auto hides the footer
  • on iOS need ability to collapse the online users list - you end up in a double scrolling issues and it takes up a lot of space
  • No pop out window?
  • on iOS it wasn't obvious how to navigate back from private chat.
  • sign in to chat has a "save" button what is it saving if i click the "i agree" each time."

Thanks IPS for letting us kick the tires on the new chat.

​Just FYI: It's actually the old chat with minor adjustments. The New chat is in planning stage: http://community.invisionpower.com/4featureplan/

My suggestion is a read-only mode widget so people can see some of the discussions taking place in the chat anywhere on the website. Being required to enter chat to see if there is currently a topic of interest being discussed was a chief complaint from my users.

​Just FYI: It's actually the old chat with minor adjustments. The New chat is in planning stage: http://community.invisionpower.com/4featureplan/

My suggestion is a read-only mode widget so people can see some of the discussions taking place in the chat anywhere on the website. Being required to enter chat to see if there is currently a topic of interest being discussed was a chief complaint from my users.

​This would certainly make the transition from the shoutbox to IP.Chat much better.

Regarding the chat area ... whenever you select "leave chat room" the message says "You have been kicked from the chat room" ... can that be worded a little less aggressively?

(i.e. "You have left the chat room" or something similar)

Regarding the chat area ... whenever you select "leave chat room" the message says "You have been kicked from the chat room" ... can that be worded a little less aggressively?

(i.e. "You have left the chat room" or something similar)​

Yes, i had to grovel a bit (in the old forums software ) with someone whom i chatted thought they had done something wrong because they got the "default" message - and it was even more so noticeable on the IOS as it would constantly kick them out. 

Bug: smiles popup is opening out of the visible area and increases the page height. When you close smiles popup, the page height is resizing again.

Feature: easy mention (@) function when clicking user's nickname is much needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Chat needs a little improvement, for instance clicking a link in chat opens the link in the same window and then takes the user out of chat?

As has been mentioned above, logging out of chatroom supplies the kicked from chat message which needs to be addressed, it was highlighted before gold and could have been fixed for the soft release.

Chat needs a little improvement, for instance clicking a link in chat opens the link in the same window and then takes the user out of chat?

As has been mentioned above, logging out of chatroom supplies the kicked from chat message which needs to be addressed, it was highlighted before gold and could have been fixed for the soft release.

​Both are filled as bugs:

Archived