Moving from MySQL to Percona

Following the advice from GreenLinks, I think I am ready to move from MySQL to Percona.

From what I understood, it is a drop-in replacement to MySQL, you just change the binaries, keep the /data directory and it works as MySQL would.

Now, my question is on the web server side (we run the webserver on a separate server). Would we need to recompile PHP or PHP's native MySQL drivers are able to communicate directly with Percona?

Any other advice or information I should know before proceeding?

Another question, does Percona perform better than MySQL for other platforms as well or just with IPB?

Thanks,

Gabriel.

I swapped (on directadmin server and in past on cpanel ) to mariadb with zero issues. only thing not really stated in documents was to fully stop mysql and then installing.

I would expect, from what I have read, percona would act the same way.

AlexJ, can you elaborate on that? Are you talking about the full search capability that is lost? We use sphinx anyway...

If you use Spinx then it's no issue for you. Basically IPB 3.4 doesn't support full text search of InnoDB on MySQL 5.6.

If you use Spinx then it's no issue for you. Basically IPB 3.4 doesn't support full text search of InnoDB on MySQL 5.6.

There's not much to "support" really. I've made it work easily, but InnoDB 5.6's FTS implementation still seems a bit incomplete right now. Nonetheless, you can make it work just by enabling full text searching and lying to IP.Board about your engine type. As far as I know, that's literally all the setting is for. A compatibility check for FTS.

XtraDB (or even standard InnoDB) is superior to MyISAM in a lot of ways anyways. I pretty much strictly use XtraDB and Memory tables on all of my databases.

If you're going to switch to Percona (or MariaDB) I strongly suggest you consider trying out XtraDB as well.

There's not much to "support" really. I've made it work easily, but InnoDB 5.6's FTS implementation still seems a bit incomplete right now. Nonetheless, you can make it work just by enabling full text searching and lying to IP.Board about your engine type. As far as I know, that's literally all the setting is for. A compatibility check for FTS.

I would like to know how or more detail steps. IPS Staff asked me in ticket that since it doesn't support FTS they are going to disable full text search on my forums and only option is to convert it to MyISAM.

I was using MyISAM anyways but that UTF8 convert messed it up for me. So now I am on InnoDB with not FTS. If you can share how it would be great!

I would like to know how or more detail steps. IPS Staff asked me in ticket that since it doesn't support FTS they are going to disable full text search on my forums and only option is to convert it to MyISAM.

I was using MyISAM anyways but that UTF8 convert messed it up for me. So now I am on InnoDB with not FTS. If you can share how it would be great!

See my post here:

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/397660-using-fulltext-indexes-with-innodb-56/

You may have to leave $INFO['mysql_tbl_type'] in conf_global.php set to MyISAM as well, even though you're actually using InnoDB. I don't remember honestly, but I'm pretty sure you do.

I disabled it after having issues with InnoDB's FTS implementation a while back. Specifically highlighted here;

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/380802-screenshots-on-downloads-search-results/?p=2479739

So proceed with caution.

Archived