Will IP Social Suite (4.0) follow proper HTML5 web standards and be valid?

ᴡᴅツ

Will IP Social Suite 4.0 conform to the HTML(5) from whatwg.org? Also, will it pass markup validation (http://validator.w3.org/)? There are currently 21 errors on the ips forum board index.

I would like to see 4.0 use proper HTML5 with true semantics in the document (aside, nav, footer, etc*). I'm taking a look at the source code right now and I see javascript embedded in the html document. The doctype is html5 (now just called html), but the accessibility improvements that come with the new html aren't being utilized in the IPS software. This is bad news for anyone who is visually impaired and relies on a screen reader to browse IPS powered websites.

I would like to see a accessibility and usability centric focus to 4.0. For example, in IP.Content, it would be nice to have the option to rename the uploaded attachment image to a user friendly name, as well as include alt attributes.

As a side note, it would be nice if unnecessary white space were reduced/removed from the source code so that it looks cleaner.

*I mean, instead of using div class article, navigation, or footer, just use the built in semantic elements.

Also, you can read about accessibility standards here: http://jimthatcher.com/webcourse1.htm

From our coding standards:

1. HTML MUST be valid HTML5. Meaning they MUST:
    1. Specify a HTML5 Doctype.
    2. Validate as valid markup according to the W3C Markup Validation Service.
    3. Use appropriate semantic elements as appropriate (e.g. <header>, <footer>, <video>, <time>, etc.)
    4. Not use self closing tags (i.e. <br> not <br />)
  2. HTML MUST NOT include inline CSS or JavaScript, meaning they MUST NOT include:
    1. <style> elements
    2. Elements with style attributes
    3. <script> elements (other than those with a src attribute to point to an external .js file, or as per JavaScript standards rule 1)
    4. Elements with any JavaScript attributes, such as onclick, onload, etc.
  3. Rich snippets in the form of microdata SHOULD be used whenever appropriate.

• 1 month later...

I also recommend using ColorZilla / WCAG contrast checker to make sure you meet a general level of visual accessibility and usability. Additionally, you already know your JS should not include hard coded CSS (instead, it should specify an ID or class). I look forward to checking the html and css validation for ips 4.

• 2 months later...

Question 1:

Will IPS use JS only as enhancements to the site, as opposed to using JS for core features? For example, will users without javascript be able to use all of the site's core functions? Examples include logging in, making and editing posts, searching, etc.

Question 2:

Will IPS meet the W3C web content and accessibility guidelines, such as for color luminance contrast?

Source: http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/

Addon to test: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/wcag-contrast-checker/

1. Yes, this is also a requirement of our coding standards.

2. This is not specifically part of our coding standards but is something we're making a lot of effort towards. Fun fact: we actually have someone colour-blind at IPS so we're usually pretty good with this :smile: Just this week actually we were talking about colour contrast in a meeting.

There are currently 21 errors on the ips forum board index.

I hear this time to time... I am wondering; Is there any program/website/script out there as complicated as IPB and has less than 21 errors?

But want to make sure that I am emphasizing on bold words.... :smile:

just wondering...

Probably, but it's besides the point.

It's also important to understand real-world implications. If you visit the board index are you seeing HTML errors? If not, I wouldn't spend time obsessing over making the page error-free - that's a job for us to worry about, not you (unless you are a skin designer who is trying to do this in your won custom skins). :)

2. Fun fact: we actually have someone colour-blind at IPS so we're usually pretty good with this :smile: Just this week actually we were talking about colour contrast in a meeting.

I'm colourblind and I actually don't expect to be catered for. Colourblindness is very distinct from person to person so you can only ever make a best endeavour to meet the needs of a colourblind audience.

This is a good site with examples of how a colourblind person may see (I say "may" because without seeing through their eyes, which they can't, it's really only a guess): http://www.colourblindawareness.org/colour-blindness/types-of-colour-blindness/

Archived