I want IP.Torrent for 50 USD

RPG-support

Very very very few people would have any use for a torrent tracker in forum software.

You can easily host .torrent files using IP.Downloads was my point. As for running a dedicated tracker, if you have the choice, I would probably opt for something not PHP based to start with, for performance and scalability reasons.

You could still host the torrent files in IP.Downloads regardless of the tracker software you use, though.

How is IP.Downloads obsolete?

I can assure you, IPS will probably have no interest in implementing a torrent tracker any time soon though.

This isn't something there's any demand for.

You're going to have to do some work yourself, there's nothing "out of the box" that's going to work for you.

That or you'll have to hire someone to make an addon for you.

Obsolete because there is the 2013 year and there are torrents. If you want some statistics of popularity, visit the PB.

I am sure I will not hire anyone. I will check if there are out of box solutions.

May be IPS do not want to be associated with torrents since there are many pirates nowadays. But old solutions are not working any more. We are waiting torrent tracker from IPS.

I think the point being made is that your particular torrent tracking needs represent the needs of probably 0.000001% of the market of people that would buy their products and as a result wouldn't be worth the time adding into IPS.

irony.

calling ip.downloads obsolete while asking for a mod that would (if built) be distributed here through ip.downloads.

its not obsolete, its good for what its built for.

its not built for torrents but torrents are not the answer for everything either. if you want full control of your file torrents are not the answer.

if you have a file thats never going to change torrents are a good answer.

apples and oranges.

but you want something you are not willing to pay for?

then you won't get it.

simple.

It's not that we wouldn't want to be associated with torrents, it's just that it's a niche thing. Virtually no sites make use of torrents unless they are specifically set up as a P2P file sharing community. I don't think it'd be a good use of our resources, personally speaking. There's other apps we could develop that would have much wider appeal.

Thank you for all yours non-positive replies.

Virtually no sites make use of torrents unless they are specifically set up as a P2P file sharing community.

No sites make use of IP.Gallery unless they are the paintings/photos galleries. No site make use of IP.Blog unless they are blogs. Etc. But you are selling all this addons.

I will wait the market push you to produce something new.

People visit torrent-trackers more than simple forums.

Make the posibility to modify the IP.Board to make it the dedicated torrent tracker and you will sell more. Simple forums are dying. Give the second life to your products which all have new code but all based on very old ideas.

I still have positive mood and want IP.Torrents. ;)

People visit torrent-trackers more than simple forums.

People visit YouTube and other media streaming websites more than both forums and torrent trackers. Where's IPB's media streaming application? (IP.Gallery doesn't count, it has extremely limited support for this and not in the sense that I'm talking about)

I think there's more demand for this than there is for torrent trackers, but this is, again, something that very few people will be able to really take advantage of. (An application like this would require a server with ffmpeg support, something very rarely available on shared hosting)

Now when you're talking about torrent trackers, not only is this something with little demand to start with, but many shared hosts also have policies against hosting torrent trackers on their networks, regardless of the purpose. If you don't believe me, go through the Terms of Service pages of some popular shared hosting websites. You'll probably find something like this:

ZuvLPRK.png

So not only is tracker software something with little demand, it's something many clients will be unable to take advantage of anyways.

If you still want to wait for IPS to develop an IP.Tracker application for you, feel free, but I think it's been explained that this is something unlikely to be added anytime soon.

The unofficial tracker application aljareh4ever posted might be something you should look into though.

No sites make use of IP.Gallery unless they are the paintings/photos galleries. No site make use of IP.Blog unless they are blogs. Etc. But you are selling all this addons.

That's not true at all. I can think of sports teams, car enthusiasts, pet forums, software companies and more that use IP.Gallery and/or IP.Blog. Galleries and blogs are widely understood concepts - everyone wants to share photos or write some thoughts. Torrent trackers simply don't have that appeal. It's not a bad idea, it's just not something we'd likely see a return on when there's a long list of other apps we could build that would have much more appeal to different types of community.

f you don't believe me, go through the Terms of Service pages of some popular shared hosting websites.

You may find a lot of VDS with no such limitations in Ukraine, Russia, China, Pakistan, etc. China, for example, do not have copyright laws at all.

IPS products are resources intensive and generally are not usable on shared hostings.

no sites make use of torrents unless they are specifically set up as a P2P file sharing community.

That's not true at all. I can think of religious organizations, educational organizations, home video/audio/electronic books users ( (w00t) ) and more that use torrents. Torrents are widely understood concepts - everyone wants to share the content or write some thoughts. Present IPS products simply miss this idea and pushing users to use out of date conceptions, like IP.Gallery and IP.Donwloads and this out of date apps. are not advanced in the functionality. So, I did not see any IPS products based comunity where this applications are popular. You have IP.Board empire as this is the only product which is still popular. But as I said above the time of the general forum concept is somewhere in the 2005-2007s - it's not a bad idea, it's just dying.

;)

This is definitely your best bet

http://www.ipbtracker.eu/

Yes torrents are popular but this feature isn't something you would expect ipboard to develop because the majority of forum admins dont want a torrent tracker on their websites. You are always free to hire a developer and pay him/her to make this mod for you, IPB will not stop you from doing this.

I'd rather have Invision spend time to improve their core product i.e. Ipboard than introduce new products that aren't really required on a forum.

Archived