IPS Staff On Forums

ZakRhyno

From reading just the first 5 replies. Well why not hire some staff for just the support forums? They will work free of charge and will help out and answer every topic they can.

Then you have the process of having to trust them, if they provide false support its then on IPS to sort it as they represent IPS. It would cause more troubles then it could solve.

From reading just the first 5 replies. Well why not hire some staff for just the support forums? They will work free of charge and will help out and answer every topic they can.

I'm not aware of too many people willing to "work" for free lol.

The problem I see sometimes is that I see some support post in unrelated threads to anything support related (which is fine, they could be off of work and still be posting around) but that said, some of that time could of been answering questions in the forums where they went unreplied for for a a few days or never even answered.

You guys keep putting words in customers mouth's. We're not asking you to drop ticket support or completely answer EVERY SINGLE ISSUE IN THE WORLD on the forums. It would just be nice to see you guys (the staff) in areas that seem to not get so much help (IP.Content is one of the bigger ones I think) a little more.

I've just went through 3 support staff and look at all the posts. I did not see a single 'support' related question answered outside of I think 1 if I recall correctly. They were all mostly regarding "What's happening with IPS, why were blogs deleted why we did this. How about NO to that... "

All I'm saying is that, that's great -- Keep it up, but atleast a couple of posts could of went to answering a couple questions, I dont' care if you're selective or not (hmm, that's a good thing to reply to so others will know how to fix the issue). The biggest reason is that believe it or not, many people search the forums for answers -- If you keep all the intelligence with your suite wrapped around tickets, you're not going to find answers around here... which is pretty standard anyways.

I'm still a new developer here, I could of not asked Marcher my questions over skype when I was writing my first contribution here and put all my friggin questions in ticket and might of got them answered in a much longer, dreaded out way... but it doesn't help the next person that's new, does it?

The biggest and best knowledge base are these forums. Aren't the forums your first line of defense? Do a forum/google search for your question and see if you can find an answer and then if you can't get anything, do a ticket? Maybe it would cut down on tickets? I'm sure you guys will say "No, no one does that" lol

---------------------------------------------

"Hire" means in most cases they expected to be paid for their services.

One thing that needs noted. IPS can not support modifications made to their products.

So assisting 3rd party developers with using API's and the such is outside the scope of support.

I think basic IP stuff and software not 3rd party.

"Hire" means in most cases they expected to be paid for their services.

Why not hire some staff to help on the forums? Make it there job and not code. It would help much more then the current set up.

• Management

We've had dedicated staff to the community forums in the past and there's a reason we don't do so now. Most actual issues result in a ticket anyway for one reason or another -- access details, more detailed information, etc. It's frankly just a waste of time to handle the same issue twice in two mediums.

We find the peer to peer model for general information and tips works well. For actual technical support, the preferred medium is ticket support.

I find on the occasions I ask a question it is usually answered very quickly without having to go raising tickets and taking someone away from more pressing work.

Think i've only had 1 ticket because it was a total "stumped" case lol

We've had dedicated staff to the community forums in the past and there's a reason we don't do so now. Most actual issues result in a ticket anyway for one reason or another -- access details, more detailed information, etc. It's frankly just a waste of time to handle the same issue twice in two mediums.

We find the peer to peer model for general information and tips works well. For actual technical support, the preferred medium is ticket support.

fwiw I feel you've all struck a good balance here. and you know if I didn't feel that I would say so :)

there is no perfect answer here.

Archived