Instant Notifications & PMs

gmaister22

like facebook, xenforo, etc. i mean c'mon its 2013..

Out of 100 popular websites, how many have such a feature? It's not like every “2013 site” has it, and it is certainly not »essential« — in a sense, that is a required functionality you can't live without. If anything, it's a nice option. So having it available as hook makes sense.

Out of 100 popular websites, how many have such a feature? It's not like every “2013 site” has it, and it is certainly not »essential« — in a sense, that is a required functionality you can't live without. If anything, it's a nice option. So having it available as hook makes sense.

Then every non essential feature the way you mean it that IPB has should be removed and be replaced with a hook. Nice way of thinking, good way of pioneering and inovating

Then every non essential feature the way you mean it that IPB has should be removed and be replaced with a hook.

C’mon, that nonsense of course.

You made the claim, that instant notification are “essential”, which is just not true. They are neither essential, nor are they normal for forum/cms software.

A better way to support your feature request would be to give good examples, why this is good feature for a wide range of IP.Boards and not just claim it to be essential or typical feature.

• 4 weeks later...

What he meant is that let's say out of the 100 popular website that have those features (notifications) how many of them are instant notifactions? and I'm sorry -- But I would have to go 60/40% in this case and 60% being that they actually have instant notifications out of the 100 websites with said feature..built in. I would not say it's "essential" for instant notifications, but I would say that it is a nice touch and would agree that over the course of having such notifications, it would of been built in or provided as an option and not requiring a hook to do so.

On the contrary, this is all relative and personal opinions -- I hate how IPS's tabs in the ACP are all hover tabs and feel they screwed up big time there and should of made them on-click. It's just buggy. Is it bad for me? Yes, is it bad for everyone else? Most likely not.

• 2 months later...

Bumping in support of seeing this added as a native feature in 4.0.0

Probably not enabled by default (for obvious reasons), but it's a simple and highly useful function. I think it would make sense to add it into core.

I think offering a notification window might be a nice touch as well.

(Also, hook the OP linked works fine for me in 3.4.5)

Archived