I do not like 3.4

Mightyavenger

• Management

Hi Joey,

I'm sorry that you've had a poor experience recently and that highly visible bugs have crept into the latest release. Perhaps you could consider setting up a staging site where you can test the beta releases we make? That way the issues you'd have spotted could have been reported to us before a final release has been made.

We do try to ensure all releases get sufficient testing internally but it's hard to replicate all the different configurations our customers use. This is why we make beta releases. This gives you a chance to test the new version on a staging site to identify these kinds of issues.

Indeed, I recommend that everyone does this. The more issues we get reported during the beta stages the better!

Matt, perhaps you could look at offering a scheme for licence holders who are prepared to do as you suggest with a discount on their licence when they're actively testing new releases and reporting bugs?

Most people running businesses and websites are obviously going to be against spending too much time on things which aren't their core activity, and when buying a commercial product will have the expectation that in the main it should work out of the box anyway, but if there were a reciprocal arrangement in place maybe more would be prepared to do some testing?

• Management

Matt, perhaps you could look at offering a scheme for licence holders who are prepared to do as you suggest with a discount on their licence when they're actively testing new releases and reporting bugs?

Most people running businesses and websites are obviously going to be against spending too much time on things which aren't their core activity, and when buying a commercial product will have the expectation that in the main it should work out of the box anyway, but if there were a reciprocal arrangement in place maybe more would be prepared to do some testing?

We've done similar things in the past. Our experience has been we get a flood of people who get the beta for the perks and then never use/report anything.

I believe we will have a program for 4.0, which will undergo extensive testing throughout the process due to the massive overhaul.

We've done similar things in the past. Our experience has been we get a flood of people who get the beta for the perks and then never use/report anything.

I believe we will have a program for 4.0, which will undergo extensive testing throughout the process due to the massive overhaul.

Why not just give the benefits after/once they have reported 50 confirmed bug reports / period of xx amount of time? Normally QA engineers make at least 30$/hr and above.. so giving out 25$ gift coupon for someone reporting 50 bugs in your software is not big deal and I believe is fair trade. You save on QA's which I believe did horrible job on each Nexus release. Each Nexus release is mess compare to other add-ons. Sometimes front end doesn't work and other time no one can buy products from store. Even in new release i am having issue where users can't buy anything from store. What's the point of store/Nexus where users are unable to buy the things? I believe at least this show stopper bugs should be ironed out before release.

Why not just give the benefits after/once they have reported 50 confirmed bug reports / period of xx amount of time? Normally QA engineers make at least 30$/hr and above.. so giving out 25$ gift coupon for someone reporting 50 bugs in your software is not big deal and I believe is fair trade. You save on QA's which I believe did horrible job on each Nexus release. Each Nexus release is mess compare to other add-ons. Sometimes front end doesn't work and other time no one can buy products from store. Even in new release i am having issue where users can't buy anything from store. What's the point of store/Nexus where users are unable to buy the things? I believe at least this show stopper bugs should be ironed out before release.

It sounds easy on the surface, but what if the bug is not confirmed and cannot be reproduced? What if it is a duplicate and someone else has already reported it, or we already spotted it internally and fixed it? What if the bug report is regarding a code-level comment block that needs to be updated - does that count? We don't typically treat such things as "bugs" since it doesn't affect the quality of the software, however it can be helpful for developers and we would generally "fix" the problem. It would be extremely hard to keep up with and account for the many, many nuances of what does and does not qualify as a bug.

If you are facing a problem with the software, please be sure to submit a ticket so that the issue can be addressed.

What he's responding to is the request from Matt to get as many people bug testing as possible, you're right you may get duplicates and reports of non-existent bugs but the idea would be that you'd also have a lot more people testing which should also mean you get a lot more legitimate reports too.

It sounds easy on the surface, but what if the bug is not confirmed and cannot be reproduced? What if it is a duplicate and someone else has already reported it, or we already spotted it internally and fixed it? What if the bug report is regarding a code-level comment block that needs to be updated - does that count? We don't typically treat such things as "bugs" since it doesn't affect the quality of the software, however it can be helpful for developers and we would generally "fix" the problem. It would be extremely hard to keep up with and account for the many, many nuances of what does and does not qualify as a bug.

If bug can't be reproduced then it's not a bug as simple as that.

Anything wrong spotted by end user which requires change in IPS software anywhere = bug. That's just my opinion. And off course if comments in code need to be update then it's not a bug ..Just create new status: Comment Update.. so those will never be counted in confirmed bug reports.

I thought IP.Content is powerful so please excuse me if this suggestion is not possible since I am not an expert in php/sql. Wouldn't be possible to create a custom script which pulls out number of confirmed bug reported by user in a xx period amount of time?

What you guys are doing right now is.. heavily depending on end users to report most of the bugs and then same old story.. Oh we have released beta .. feel free to test it. No I don't need to test if someone can purchase anything from store or not.. It's basic feature and it should work out of the box for Nexus.

If you are facing a problem with the software, please be sure to submit a ticket so that the issue can be addressed.

I do always but it's no fun when user PM's me after each Nexus update that they can't purchase anything. Since last 3 nexus release that's what I am doing. Creating support tickets and that's annoying. Each time same reply and then wait begins when Mark fixes it or tells me patch available in next release.

We've reviewed your request and unfortunately, it is going to require further investigation. I've escalated your ticket, and it will be addressed as quickly as possible. Because of the advanced nature of your request, please note that it may take longer than usual to fully address your concern. I apologize for this delay and appreciate your patience.

Only way I could see something like this being remotely possible but still not feasible would be to require the member to submit a request for credit after so many X reports that have been confirmed, their reports have to be the first reports (doesn't matter if theirs is flagged as duplicate or confirmed/fixed, if someone else reported the bug first, that other person gets credit), and can only count bugs for the current series (3.4.x is the current series, so 3.3.x bugs and before wouldn't count). More to it than that, but putting it on the tester to request credit for reported bugs would be the only way I could see anything like that working, but even then, it would be a bit of work for the IPS team.

I thought IP.Content is powerful so please excuse me if this suggestion is not possible since I am not an expert in php/sql. Wouldn't be possible to create a custom script which pulls out number of confirmed bug reported by user in a xx period amount of time?

If it can be done via PHP/SQL, then it's possible to do in IP.Content.

Archived