New documentation - great look!

Sonya*

Thank for the new look and structure of the developer documentation. It looks very smooth and professional. Can we have the look as default for IP.Content? ;)

Is it possible to make redirects from old urls to new ones? I have written a small guide for myself where I have a lot of links to the docs where examples are given. The links in my guide are now broken and redirect to the start page of doc. :( And I use Google to search through documentation as built-in-search is not flexible enough. All links in Google are now broken as well and it will take time to index new structure.

I have also followed guides to be informed when they are updated. The following is not possible now. Will it come back?

Thank you!

Redirects were in place yesterday evening, so if you are seeing URLs that aren't redirecting today, please provide specific URLs that should be redirecting but aren't.

Any words on the comments that was written to these items? (As Marcher mentioned)

• Management

I would argue that it's a bit special that you remove contributions from other users with no sort of notice about it in advance.

Your concern is noted and I apologize, but there were both technical and practical reasons for removal. We have been taking great effort to involve the community and provide notice when appropriate to changes, but ultimately, not everything is up for notice or discussion.

It's frustrating that despite our efforts and a general positive consensus for improvements - the same 2 or 3 people come along, without fail, each and every time and bring their dark cloud of discontent over what most consider to be a positive thing. I think at some point we need to evaluate the line between customer feedback and just outright negativity. :smile:

OP - thank you for the kind words. The team did a great job putting this together.

I also like the new look though you scared the hell out of me the other day while following a guide... I was bouncing back and forth between 2 articles when suddenly I get an error Page Cannot be found....Gulp!!!
Well I found it today with only a few hours lost....

Lindy and Brandon I truly understand your point in this matter but at the same time I have to agree there have been some pretty powerful helpful suggestions as well... especially where this particular hook I am working on was concerned. But as Popeye would say... "Oils well that ends well"

This hook will find its way with or without the added help comments...

our efforts and a general positive consensus for improvements

I really appreciate the documentation. A year ago I have tried to write my first application and the documentation was poor and made me frustrated. I had to change a lot in the core files as I have just not understood how to code something with API. 2 months ago I have started to write new applications and I must say - it is amazing, it is easy to understand. IPS is like a big and very very powerful framework that allows your writing even very complicated solutions without hacking into the core.

If I would like to improve something I just use Bug Tracker for documentation. This is a way for me to "comment" the documentation and I think it is probably cleaner way to make it. If you leave comments on documentation today, there is no guarantee that they suite the new version. Comments are not "versioned".

I would like to thank IPS:

- for sane and good structured documentation

- for the consequent improvements

- for the new smart look

- for the quick support in the bug tracker

Thank you!

Archived