IP.Suite 4.0 Suggestions

Rheddy

I've been wondering why this hasn't been made a feature, customizable to each user, for IPB 3.4 and I thought about posting a suggestion for this feature and decided to start a "suggestions topic" for IP.Suite 4.0.

While on the ACP side, we're allowed to drag and drop various forums up and down within each category and while this has mostly been a feature for community admins, how about adding this as a feature where a regular forum member can customize the layout of the forum per their account, like the drag and drop feature that we use in the ACP? I don't know how intensive it would be, but allow members of your community the ability to "customize" the layout of the forum within their account. It wouldn't affect everyone, just that user's account/experience, and be able to save that configuration as part of their "account profile".

I realize that this is shooting for the moon and probably not even possible, but it would be a nice new feature for members of your community.

I've been wondering why this hasn't been made a feature, customizable to each user, for IPB 3.4 and I thought about posting a suggestion for this feature and decided to start a "suggestions topic" for IP.Suite 4.0.

This entire forum is a suggestions forum for future versions of IP.Board, so really a topic to amalgamate suggestions would get messy and long. Probably best to post individual suggestions as new topics. Just fyi. :)

While on the ACP side, we're allowed to drag and drop various forums up and down within each category and while this has mostly been a feature for community admins, how about adding this as a feature where a regular forum member can customize the layout of the forum per their account, like the drag and drop feature that we use in the ACP? I don't know how intensive it would be, but allow members of your community the ability to "customize" the layout of the forum within their account. It wouldn't affect everyone, just that user's account/experience, and be able to save that configuration as part of their "account profile".

I realize that this is shooting for the moon and probably not even possible, but it would be a nice new feature for members of your community.

You mean something where you are able to move the forums like this: - This is a mod. it's category based, but not forum :/

3f0acbe28da3485dac1ec3f.png

Christian, exactly. Where each member, once they've registered, can customize the layout of how the forums are organized. Where it wouldn't affect the default setup, just affect how the forums are displayed for that member. Sort of like containing the config in either that user's profile or maybe in a "cookie" setting.

Cookies get lost. Better store in the members_cache field (a dumping ground for various "non-important" values). And this is not difficult to add at all.

The question is:

• Should the draghandles be visible all the time?
    • Users end up rearranging forum unintentionally, and not know what's going on
  • Or by the click of a button
    • You'll then end up with a button somewhere.
    • An "Edit mode" button does not fit anywhere in the current setup.

Then the UCP is the best (not that I'm the one to decide that) place to have it, with a button sending you to the board index in "Edit mode". This button will not be noticed, that's a fact, and IPS have then wasted time on a feature not being used by anyone.

A "favorite this forum" icon (as seen in the Neowin screenshot above) would be nice, but where are these favorite forums stored? A different page? "We" already have that, it's called Content I Follow.

Yeah, something like that. Even if it's just an installed plugin or hook, it's a pretty good idea and allows for more "user flexibility and control" and gives each member the ability to customize their forum experience. :thumbsup: But, yeah, the UCP is the perfect place for it, allowing for a "toggle" to enter/exit the edit mode for board layout for that user.

A "favorite this forum" icon (as seen in the Neowin screenshot above) would be nice, but where are these favorite forums stored? A different page? "We" already have that, it's called Content I Follow.

Maybe they could add an extra column is_favorite to the table where followed contents are stored. It would by default "follow" the forum when you decided to favorite it, but it would just be as an favorite, the notification frequency would be set to none by default if the item wasn't already present for that user or not changed if it was.

Maybe they could add an extra column is_favorite to the table where followed contents are stored. It would by default "follow" the forum when you decided to favorite it, but it would just be as an favorite, the notification frequency would be set to none by default if the item wasn't already present for that user or not changed if it was.

Wouldn't that be the same as opting out the notification frequency option?

......... ok, I'm explicitly confused now.
How many ways does there really need to be to show interest in an item? How, and why, does follow not fit the bill?
What is so special about the word 'favorite' that makes you all gaga? change the verbiage already then.

The issue would arise if you follow 25 forums and you wouldn't want them all to be listed on the front page. Although you have weekly notifications on a forum, you wouldn't necessarily want them to be listed at all times. Certain forums you would want to prioritize more than others.

There are many services that do provide an option to favorite, even though they also lets you follow items. I follow RSS-feeds for example, and some of them I have marked as favorites, it's especially great when coming back when I've been away for a while, so I can check what I consider to be most important first.

But I do to some extent agree that this is more an hook instead rather than an in-built feature. It really depends how much you would want to build on it...

Archived