Spell check

Tom Butler

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firefox sometimes seems to get confused when spell checking 'rich' content. Right click in the editor and check that "Check Spelling" is enabled, and then go down to the Languages item and check at least one language is checked. You need to do it in the green area - for some reason Firefox also doesn't recognize the rest of the editor (in red) unless there's text there.

Firefox sometimes seems to get confused when spell checking 'rich' content. Right click in the editor and check that "Check Spelling" is enabled, and then go down to the Languages item and check at least one language is checked.

Well it is enabled as I posted in a comment that's not yet approved, but you're right, English was listed as the only language, so I didn't see a problem, but it also needs to be selected too. Now it highlights the typos as I type as usual. I hope the forum will remember this setting at next post. Thanks for the tip!

Would be great to have a way to force enable a language when it is the only one listed, at least on the first post.

Well it is enabled as I posted in a comment that's not yet approved, but you're right, English was listed as the only language, so I didn't see a problem, but it also needs to be selected too. Now it highlights the typos as I type as usual. I hope the forum will remember this setting at next post. Thanks for the tip!

Would be great to have a way to force enable a language when it is the only one listed, at least on the first post.

This is actually an issue with FF, when upgrading, it will often clear the language selection, which then disables the spell check until you select the language again. Glad you have it working though.

Spell check is an important capability of my computer and I find it a little odd that the capability has been removed from a board I am paying to have and maintain.

It's been removed because all modern browsers have built-in spell-checking now :)

This is actually an issue with FF, when upgrading, it will often clear the language selection, which then disables the spell check until you select the language again. Glad you have it working though.

I didn't upgrade and my language selection has not been cleared, it only happened on IP.Board forums. It also happened to me some time ago on another forum, not on their standard editor, but on the HTML editor, so I believe Rikki is correct saying it depends on the type of editor. Still, probably a Firefox bug, it should not happen at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived